SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pt529

Mold issue with new potting media after repotting first phal

pt529
5 years ago

I am a beginner with orchids and have 3 phals, and one of them had already finished blooming and its original media already had mushrooms growing on the bark so it was time to repot (original media was mostly orchid bark). Two weeks ago, I purchased Fertilome orchid media, which consists of "Canadian sphagnum peat moss chunks, orchid bark, hardwood charcoal, and lava rock." Upon cleaning and inspecting the roots, the roots looked very healthy, plump, and stiff. I also sprayed hydrogen peroxide on the roots as a disinfecting precaution read about from other orchid discussions. I repotted the orchid with the new media in a slightly larger, clear plastic pot with extra ventilation holes I created on the sides, then watered it since the roots were silvery, dry.

A little over week after that, I had come back from a trip, and noticed through the clear pot that there is white fuzzy mold growth on some part of the roots and those roots turned black/dark gray. My other untouched phals were fine, no mold growth. A week later, I'm seeing more dying roots and more visible mold inside the media. And another surprise is I recently noticed mold growth on the surface of the same exact media that is holding my bromeliad pup. I planted the pup in the same exact media 3 days after I repotted my phal. The growth looks like speckled, powdery white growth and its very visible on the black charcoal chunks and lava rock. I also see this speckled growth on the pieces within the pot of my phal.

What should I do step by step now to save my first orchid?

Note: Not sure if it matters, but the new bag of media does contain a lot of charcoal/rock dust. Was I supposed to rinse the media with any solution or plain water first?

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions