SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

? no comment input box for the thread re wisteria deformed buds?

I was going to reply on the thread re possible deformed buds on American wisteria - but the box where you type in a reply appears to be missing! There is the word Comments there but you can't input any! I've tried over several days and on both my iPad and my desktop....

In case the OP see this thread - what I was going to say is:

I don't grow American wisteria but do grow the Chinese and Japanese ones. The Chinese one normally blooms in spring but will bloom again in summer, especially if the new growth is kept pruned back. The summer blooms are smaller, a slightly different color, and there are fewer of them than during the spring bloom. This year it did not do the normal spring bloom - we had a very harsh winter that undoubtedly killed off all the flowerbuds. Very few wisterias around here bloomed this spring! It did, however, produce a very good secondary summer bloom - I assume it is rebuilding the flowering wood that was lost last winter.... Somewhere on this board, there is a thread where I posted pictures of the summer bloom - and there are still flowers being produced now! So my guess is that the flowerbuds the OP is seeing on his American wisteria are normal for a secondary summer bloom on those plants.

Comment (1)