SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barkinmarm

Dishwasher air gap issue

barkinmarm
5 years ago

The problem I've been having with my dishwasher air gap is fairly minor but a little bit annoying. During a cycle about 1/4 cup or so of water escapes the air gap and pools onto the sink edge. I've done some analysis and here is where I'm at:

• air gap screw cap is snug so the discharge should be moving into the drain pathway
  • air gap body and drain hose to are clean, no kinks
  • drains to sink (not disposer). properly angled "t-pipe" in place, above trap. trap is clean and free
  • discharge hose from dw is clean, clear and not kinked

The only thing I can guess is it might be the discharge hose itself. The original installer did not reduce the length at all and left all the slack sitting at the back of the cabinet. I know that in some states where code does not require an air gap the discharge hose should have a loop anchored as high in the cabinet as possible. I've now created a loop to see if it makes a difference. It may be a bit hard to see all of it from the photo but it loops up from the cabinet hole (back of photo), down to cabinet bottom, and back up to the air gap. My concern is whether doing it this way is a big "no-no". Any thoughts or advice?

Comments (16)