SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_43136206

Bosch Dishwashers don't need air gaps?

User
5 years ago

Ours is a California home with a 8-10 year old (I didn't look for paperwork) Bosch EcoSense dishwasher, installed with an air gap (I think). Later new sink installed and air gap removed as "not needed" by plumber installing new sink. Dishwasher functioned properly until now.

Pre wash cycle display reads 0:01 - stuck on one second - and any buttons pressed, or pressed and held, make the CL child lock display appear, and when start button pressed machine sounds like starting but won't actually start as if it's stuck in some prewash mode from how it sounds. I tried unplugging machine at electrical outlet for several minutes to "re-set" but to no affect.

One forum suggested I check the air gap which we don't have. Does the dishwasher make and model determine air gap need? I've read about under sink air loops, on-the-side-of-the-machine-air-loops, air gap purpose.

Does CA (San Francisco specifically) require an air gap? Codes are to protect the homeowner (in this case against bacteria on dishes if there's a back wash situation if I understand correctly.) I'm not interested in avoiding a legally required part of a home's major appliance.

I plan to schedule a repair, but I want to know for myself if an air gap is required by code here in SF? And if any PRO could advise if lacking air gap might cause my machine to malfunction with machine's display info described above?

Comments (13)