SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veronica_hardgrave

Wood or metal dining chairs?

Veronica Hardgrave
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My interior designer picked out some metal chairs for us (see below). I really like the style but I'm not sure metal is very comfortable for guests. A couple of reasons she probably picked out is because of our budget and I need something kid friendly. I do like the low back but I was reading on another post that the chairs should be higher than the table. Is this true?!

Here is a pic of my current dining room with table.

Here is a pic of her design (right side):

Here are the guest chairs she chose:

Walker Black metal and wood dining chair

There are several variations of this chair in wood that I like but 6 solid oak chairs might be too expensive for us. I saw some rubberwood ones but I read rubberwood doesn't last very long. Also some of the wood chairs I like have a higher back and not sure if this would interfere with the look we were going for.

Clarence Side Chair (rubberwood)

Solid Oak Windsor (oak)

Magnolia Chair (hardwood but doesn't specify)

Madison Chair (oak)

I know fabric would be the most comfortable but I've become a bit paranoid about foam ever since I read some allergy book so I didn't want to have too much fabric/foam furniture. I know there are some low VOC, non flame retardant options out there but they are sooo expensive. Maybe when we are in our mid 40s and redecorating those will be more obtainable for us.

Anyway, please give me some feedback on the types of wood and height I should be getting along with any other chair suggestions! Our style is on the eclectic, Scandinavian, mid century modern side.

Comments (31)