SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
random_bunny75

weigelas, dappled willow, forsythia the right plants for me?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi

We have a house in a sub division in Indiana (zone 6). There is a small strip that runs along the front door/front of the house (which faces East)-- about 30 ft long and 3 ft wide, (see picture-

mulch strip in front of the steps). There were 5 Junipers planted there by the previous owner (I don't know why), we pulled them as we really hated them and now we have to plan for what to plant there this month. Did I say we are rookie garderners?

Yesterday my wife and I spent a bunch of money ($$$) and bought- 2 dappled willows, 2 forsythias and 3 variegated weigelas. The plan was that we will plant dappled willows at the 2 ends, then 2 forsythias inside and then 3 weigelas in the middle.

Now as I do more research unfortunately after spending money :-( I realize that these are some big bushes, and they are probably not right for the front of the house as they will take over. I have a few questions if someone can help.

1. Do you guys agree these are probably not the right bushes to plant where I was thinking of planting them? My hypothesis is that they need bigger yard and they should not be right in front of the house.
  2. Can you recommend other bushes to plant there- those won't take over and won't grow more than 2-4 ft tall and about 3-4 ft wide? We are thinking something that will have all year interest- flowers in spring, flowers in summer, some color in Fall, etc. Something that can grow at a moderate rate.
  3. Where can I buy them at a reasonable price?

Thank you very much.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County