SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
humblehutch

Dappled Willow Pruning

HumbleHutch
10 years ago

Hello! I am so excited to be joining this community! This is my first year of gardening and I'm hooked! :-) I am having some problems, however, and although Ive come across many posts that are similar to my questions I still havent found what I'm looking for. I bought 3 dappled willows from our local nursery and have planted 2. I thought they must have gone into shock because they immediately turned brown and looked terrible while the one remaining in the pot still looked great. I gave it plenty of water, and i pruned it just a bit (im guessing that was bad) and now they are looking much better with lots of new growth. Now heres my issue. They still look very twiggy. All the growth is at the bottom and the tops are just bare twigs ( picture included). Can AND should i cut these off? Also, is it ok to trim the bad looking spots as often as i want this year? I want them to grow fast and be nice and full so i need to know how to do that from the place im at now. Thank you so much for any help you can provide! Amber :-)

Comments (9)