SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fifamom

Kitchen Reno years in the planning - finally getting it done..

fifamom
5 years ago

After almost 10 years of hating my current pepto bismol puke pink kitchen that has a white 4 x 4 bathroom tile counter and is falling apart (see missing cabinet door? and some drawers are missing backs or glued shut because they fell apart) we are going to get it done.. I have been looking, planning, measuring and hunting and finally found what we like.. white marble tile floors for the entire 1st floor of the house with maple truffle shaker style kitchen cabinets, white quartz counter and we are going to gut and redo the laundry and bathroom on 1st floor as well (located behind the kitchen by the guest room).. house is open plan 1400 square feet on first floor; kitchen is open as well to the family room; kitchen L wall is 12.5 x 11.5; moving fridge from current wall to wall as seen in rendering (which i did on the ikea website) and am working now with a KD to finalize cabinet sizes, etc... KD was nice enough to let me bring home cabinet door to check how it looks.. the only change will be at side of fridge where a 12" pantry is going so we have clearance for fridge door to open.. that will bring the DW over and make that drawer unit smaller.. other item not on plan is the MW which will go to the side of the range and it will be under counter drawer type.. we may also switch out the window and bring it down to counter height... I am so EXCITED... really.. I have a hammer sitting in the kitchen just waiting to start demo.. we are moving the fridge and cooker outside to patio during reno so i have someplace to cook.. and will be moving the washer and dryer out there as well... so all cooking and laundry will be done outside for a few months.. LOL

we are doing the demo, plumbing work, and a lot of stuff ourselves.. our cabinet installer is a friend who will be doing it for free... and adjacent to the opening (white space) is a 6 foot walk in pantry closet.. floors are currently a butterscotch acrylic overlay cement which we did 10 years ago and loved but it is time for a total change.. pool table stays but the rest of that furniture is going.. bye bye.. and going to get some new stuff.. the kitchen table is the only thing i feel bad for.. it is from 1956 and I am the 2nd owner.. i bought it 6 years ago from original owner.. I love love love it but it has had its day.. the legs are being held on with liquid nails.. and NO i am not doing an island because I am only 5 foot tall and like to sit at a table not climb a stool.. anyway this is what we are doing and I am bursting to get started.. SOON - SOON - SOON.. a few weeks or 1 month at most before we start demo and reno...

current floors.. butterscotch cement with acrylic overlay that are about 11 years old... pool table is located in what should be the dining room.. we hardly used it as we do informal buffet style entertaining and can sit and eat in the kitchen..

current kitchen which was well loved but not is yuk.. window may be brought down to counter... fridge going on back wall.. photo taken from family room to kitchen and wall to the right is a 6 foot walk in pantry from kitchen side..

kitchen plan - only change will be 12" pantry cabinet on wall side of the fridge for door clearance that i can use to keep stuff in.. we will lose the drawer unit but no worries.. fridge may be switched out for 36" counter depth type.. new stove will be 30" / 5 burner type..

12 x 24 marble tiles for floor with a rectified edge so we can but them very very close together.. trying to decide if we are keeping normal baseboard, changing or doing a marble 6" baseboard instead...

truffle cabinet door and white marble tile - the little ear at bottom of the photo is Chico the Man - my chihuahua..

top view of new kitchen - patio door is 78 inches with trim; next to it will be a built in 60 inch buffet with same counter as rest of the kitchen...

view from outside xray through walls..

Comments (10)