SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ma_gw

Finally Done! Three years in the planning!

paul_ma
16 years ago

Finally! The last coat of finish went on the floor yesterday, and that was the last thing.

I will include a few pictures here and then a link to an album on photobucket.

The above is a good general view from off to the side of the kitchen.

The main components are:

- Canyon Creek Millennia (frameless) cabinets.

Shaker doors and drawers, cherry w/ Cordovan stain.

Plywood boxes.

- Counters: Venezian Lido black "brushed" granite.

- Backsplash: Tumbled Giallo 4x4"

- Floor: clear maple site finished with Bona Traffic

- Range: DCS RGTC 305, five burner, self clean.

- Refrigerator: JennAir JFC2089HES 36" french door

bottom freezer.

- Dishwashers: Fisher & Paykel DD605SS dish drawers.

- Hood: VentAHood EPIH18x36 Island hood

- Microwave: Sharp R-1214 undercabinet microwave.

It has been recessed into the wall so its actually

flush with the adjacent cabinets.

- Sink: Franke Orca, with the bottom and upper right grids

- Faucet: Brizo Venuto

- Disposer: Insinkerator Evolution Essential 3/4 HP.

(with air switch from HD)

- Under cabinet lights: Seagul Linear.

- Other lights: Lightolier cans with specular clear

trims (a.k.a. Alzac trims.)

- Switches: Lutron Maestro dimmers

- Cabinet pulls: stainless steel bar pulls

from Contempo Living (EBay)

Obviously I have the sink in the corner. This is also a good view of the backsplash.

All the door pulls are 10" except for the lower doors on the pantries. I ran them down from the top of the door like on all the other doors, but made them long so they could be gripped at a convenient height. The drawer pulls are all slightly narrower than the panel they sit on. They are all centered horizontally and vertically on the drawer, with two exceptions. I mounted them high for the trash pullout and the spice pullout.

The MW turned to be a huge pain to get right. While designed for undercabinet use, its too deep to look natural under a standard depth cabinet. And the box sides, other than the door, aren't pretty. But I knew this before detailed planning began. Its recessed into the wall so the door is flush with the other cabinets. This also required a small filler to the left so the door could open, and the cabinet above is custom sized to work with this. The light rail runs under it so the under cabinet lights can run there too.

I love how the range turned out. I put it on the peninsula so the hood would be an island hood, freeing up the wall space for cabinets. (I was trying to maximize storage.) The drawers to either side are 33" and 27". I would have liked bigger, but that is the space I had.

A trash pullout was one of my key requirements, but I had a hard time figuring out where to put one without giving up storage. One day I had a flash of insight that I had just enough room to put it here, running at right angles to the other cabinets.

Note that there are a number of fake panels here: to the left of the trash pullout, which is the end of the drawers around the corner, and around the corner to the right on the side of the trash pullout. The rest of the back side is regular door cabinets. I sized them for symmetry. I did choose to put handles on the fakes for consistency.

I just put the above in to give another angle, and to show the floor.

Below is a floor plan so you can see how this all fits in. This is a townhouse, so there are only windows front and back.

Comments (30)