SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Finally ready for winter...last chore done last night.

As usual, I procrastinated tying up three shrubs in the garden that always do poorly over the winter if I don't. I could have sworn I asked about it in late summer in this forum on how to tie up an Arborvitae and Ken answered me, but I don't see that post anywhere. Maybe GW is losing posts?

Anyway, I was determined to not let it go this year, since last year, the Arborvitae split at the top and I had to prune about 4 inches off the top to fix it. So all this gorgeous weather we've had and I wait until it's cold to do it. [g] We have been out there busy with other chores, but left tying the shrubs until the very last. Heard the weather forecast and went out with a flashlight last night and tied three of them up. [g] That Arborvitae, an upright Juniper and a Sky Pencil Holly that is new. It wasn't as difficult as I anticipated. I used nylons to tie the string to the base of the trunk to give it some elasticity and the string to the nylon and spiraled it up. on the Juniper and the Holly, but the Arborvitae 'Emerald Green' resisted this treatment and it wasn't working, so I just tied a circle around the top and will hope for the best. Of the three, the Sky Pencil Holly was the easiest. It was a snap and I thought...'I should buy more of these.' [g]

It feels so great to be finished with all the garden chores, something that rarely happens. We have loved this warm fall. I will be in good shape come spring for a change and I'm looking forward to three months vacation from gardening. :-)

Comments (3)