SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonty

Does anyone know what China Satsuma mandarin is? SKSCZO?

Anony Mous
5 years ago

This damn tree and I have been staring at each other for the longest time. I saw it a month ago at HD when it was freshly shipped onto the garden floor. I tried to ignore it because I have way too many citrus trees. I see the label and it says "Citrus China Satsuma Mandarin" What's that?

There is a hanging picture tag (HD Garden Club) and it also says "Mandarin 'Satsuma' Citrus unshiu." I did perused the UCR-Citrus Variety Collection website and I see a lot of China Satsuma varieties, or China S-series, etc. http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/satsumas1.html

From my observation or understanding, satsuma mandarin trees have weepy or wimpy branches. But this satsuma tree doesn't look anything like it. Its leaves and branches stand straight up, leaves are narrow-like and pointy. Looks almost like one of my Dancy mandarin tree.

Anyway, damn tree keeps winking at me every time I'm at HD. I admit, it was the best looking tree there. So today, on a whim, I decided to have water for lunch and use my lunch money (again!) and brought her home. Upon watering it, I see an orange tag sticking out of the soil and it says SKSCZO. Well, I know CZO is Carrizo (nice!), but what's SKS? Anyone know? This tree is about 4feet 5inches from soil line to top.

Comments (10)