SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kapowers84

Help with kitchen -- update track lighting or change completely?

kapowers84
5 years ago

Hi all! I'm in the process of a complete gut/renovation of our 1950s ranch kitchen and need a little bit of help with our lighting situation. I was initially planning to replace the current (huge, ugly) track lighting along the central beam with more updated track lighting (something like what is in photo #3 below), but am curious about whether there may be some other options. Would pendant lights along the beam work? What other suggestions would you have?

Can/recessed lights are out of the question for me - we have removed the soffits from above the cabinets and will be completely replacing the upper cabinets with open shelving, so I want the wood ceiling to be a feature. (And I'm not even sure we can put can lights into that ceiling as is.)

For reference, we have taken down the wall behind and to the right of the kitchen sink. We'll be putting a counter-height breakfast bar along that wall and mounting a pendant light (see photo 4) centered above the sink. A matching pendant will be centered on the counter/bar to the right of the sink.

Altogether we are going for a Scandinavian modern style with slab front walnut cabinets with matte gold hardware, a white quartz countertop, and new SS appliances, including a vent hood w/built in lighting for the range.

Comments (4)