The best thing I witnessed today.....
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (21)
Related Discussions
I'm at my wits end! I can't find anyone who sells the tree I want
Comments (9)Thanks everyone for your replies! Snooper, I called Concord Nurseries and they don't sell this tree anymore. He said the demand went down for it. He said that demand goes up and down for all trees and that the Globe Norway Maple is a great and hardy tree and good luck on finding it. Ken, I understand what you are saying about monocultures, but this is not a garden. I am lining one side of my property with the trees, not making a garden or anything close to it. This is our taste and just as I am sick and tired of seeing Crimson Kings and Red Maples up and down my road, i have to respect such property owner's taste. We happen to love the look of this tree and we also are happy it doesn't get too tall because of power line issues. I found a nursery in a nearby county who will be able to easily get the trees for me come spring. He said he sells the trees from time to time and that he personally likes them but their popularity waxes and wanes. I am very happy to be able to now put this tree searcg anxiety to rest. lol I am sorry to hear that you have had trouble locating items for so long. I am sure me griping about a few weeks must have come across as petulant and I apologize. I have never even planted a flower before so this is all knew to me. Just last week I planted grass seed and today saw some grass start to perk up through the grass seed. I felt like I had won the lottery. lol Hey, it's a start? Thank you for your link. I called them and they had 4 of them, but I need 5. One of the four was "bushier" than the other too she said. We want 5 from the same grower as I have heard that is better instead of buying one here and 3 from there.... Brandon, I will be babying these trees like you wouldn't believe; already looking at tree shelters and protectors for them. lol I won't let a pest issue even begin, but if it does I'll be on top of it so it won't get out of hand. I have been reading it is a pretty hardy tree.... rhizo, I can't believe more people don't love this tree, but people in Oregon and Canada (about 2 hours from here) are growing this tree all over the place so there IS demand somewhere, especially when the several places I called in Oregon only had a few left. We love the tree. It's the shape that makes it so beautiful imo. Everyone around here has the exact same thing so we look forward to providing a little variety for people. Misshenry, I called ForestFarm and yes they told me $39 for the tree and $85 for delivery for each tree. Considering the prices of some other trees we had earlier considered from nurseries around here, that were running $170-300 a tree, we considered FF's price, even with shipping, to be a bargain. Bboy, tell me how you really feel about the tree? lol You think it looks like the end result of mal pruning? Yikes. If you saw the moncoulture of all that is in my area you would long for something different. I think Crimson Kings and Red Maples, all Oaks, and Christmas trees grown for privacy, which is done all the time around here, one of the most yawn-inducing things you can do to your yard, but like in all things, your mileage may vary. Thanks again, everyone, for your replies and help. I was directed to nurseryguide.com by a grower which led me to a grower in OR which then they gave me a list of growers in my area that ordered from them and the rest is history. Now the hard part is the wait til spring....Have a good weekend everyone....See MoreI am about to quit growing tomatoes!! I am at my wits end!
Comments (16)Cool, Worth. I like to make peace between our native Lepidoptera and gardeners. I asked a while back if planting cilantro really did work. I think if it does, it will be the best way to build that bridge between us and insects. if hornworms only stayed on their side of the fence, no one would ever have incentive to kill them. they are large, high-profil insects which have big appetites. If you think a hornworm is voracious, try feeding out some Cecropia or Polyphemus cats! Sheesh! Cecropias get nearly 5" and a Poly is only 4' at the longest, but thicker and heavier than a tobacco worm. Well, Carolyn posted how cilantro does not always work. Maybe even mere coincidence. I have NO cilantro and still NO hornworms at all! Last year, I regularly combed my neighbor's tomato plants and found only 6 or 7 larvae--all of which were parasitized by the dreaded tachinid fly. This fly [an introduced species, has not only taken a huge toll on sphingids, but has been responsible for the extinction of a few saturniids and is still taking a huge toll on existing species! My neighbor told me just 30 years ago, hornworms were everywhere. I can believe it. Nature is out of whack and the virtual local extinction of the beautiful Io moth only proves it! I used to find Io's like you find hornworms--30 some years ago. I always reared Io's every summer. Now, I haven't even seen a wild Io in 15 years! Yes, hornworms are quite pretty. Not as ornate as our sat cats, but remarkably designed and strategically camouflaged. Green, the color of most plants, caterpillars and even some birds--is also my favorite color. Another hornworm and non-pest, is the ash sphinx, also found in Austin, and the ofen colorful white-lined sphinx. Unfortunately, disease, not insects, has destroyed much of my crop and if I don't get hornworms soon, I'm just going to abort about half of my plants!...See MoreI lost my best friend today
Comments (33)Thank you all for your sympathy. It wasn't a total shock, and I guess it's a blessing. If this would have happened five years ago in an accident, I would be reeling. But as sad as it is for me and all her family and friends, it's a blessing. She was a super intelligent woman who taught advanced math and physics and was healthy as a horse. . She was knocked over by her 180 pound mastiff dog almost five years ago and suffered a concussion and subdural hematoma. From that point she slowly began to deteriorate. She started using a walker, then when she called me ,her speech would be so slurred I could not understand her. The next time I saw her, she was in a wheelchair and her daughter was feeding her baby food. She has been in a nursing home for the past 18 months since she required so much care. Her mind was as sharp as ever, but she could not speak. She blinked once for yes, twice for no. She had a feeding tube since last summer. So she's at peace now. The funeral is Friday. I'm wondering if the messy weather here will postpone it....See MoreWhat do I do? I am at my wits end with this wallpaper mess!!
Comments (6)katybug, you mentioned you don't want it to look bad, so from reading what you are saying, I would much rather take the time and do it right than have to look at a room or wall all the time and never be satisfied because I was in a hurry . If you have knicks, gouges, scrapes, etc. the best thing to do of course is to mud it out; or even if you are going to do a finish with joint compound you are still doing work (unless you want a textured finish). So either way, there is going to need to be work from either way you choose. Just throwing out some of the possibles. Just doing a decorative finish over your wall imperfections with paint is not going to take care of the walls condition, unless you take some other kind of steps to correct what you have mentioned above. One thing for sure after I removed all that paper, I surely wouldn't put anymore up. :)...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

COFFEE WITH AN ARCHITECTA Few Things I Would Like to Ask Frank Lloyd Wright
It could take a lifetime to understand Frank Lloyd Wright's work — less if we had answers to a few simple questions
Full Story
LIFE10 Things Around My Home That I’m Thankful For
A designer shares the comforts big and small that she is grateful for
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNHow Brick Fits Into Today’s Gardens
Natural brick is often considered a traditional building material. Here’s how people are using it in contemporary gardens too
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNToday’s Coffee Stations Have All Kinds of Perks
Some of these features are so over the top that they will give you a jolt
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Classic Eichler Updated for Today’s Needs
A designer helps a couple honor their midcentury home’s design while creating a kitchen that works for their lifestyle
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Hippie-Chic Style for Today's Pads
Anyone is free to love these updated home accessories with doses of earthiness and dashes of wit
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESToday's Concrete: Warm and Wonderful
7 Things to Like About Using Concrete in Your Home's Interior
Full Story
LIFEThe Beautiful Thing About Dad's Chair
My father had his own spot in the house. His father had his own spot. Now I have mine
Full Story
Michael