SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Removing popcorn from already textured plaster walls - bad idea?

AMS
5 years ago

So, spoiler alert, I've already done it. I got so sick and tired of the popcorn on my dining room walls that I scraped it off (yes, I had it tested for asbestos [didn't contain it] and wore a mask). However, it turns out that underneath the popcorn was textured plaster walls. This means that I could not quite scrape all the popcorn stuff off, because there isn't a flat wall underneath (photos below should help understand). So I'm left with somewhat textured walls with a thin film of popcorn. They look bad and I think will look funny if I paint them (and I imagine will absorb the paint oddly). Does anyone have any ideas? A guy at the paint store suggested washing them by hand until it all comes off. That sounds like a messy nightmare.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a wall paper that might stick? Something like anaglypta? Otherwise I'm thinking of putting up white paneling to plate rail height, and hoping that painting the top third of the wall wont look terrible (maybe try out a linen texture or something - I love grass cloth). However, I'm a total amateur and DIY'er so appreciate any thoughts from pros! This is a small 1.5 story house built in 1948 if that helps.

Process photo:

After (close up) - the shiny light yellow bits are the 'high points' of the textured plaster wall poking through what is left of the popcorn compound:

Room (small - 9x10):

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus