SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilrosa

Should I remove plaster & lathe?

Rosa M
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I live in a small 1920 mill house that's seen the worst of DIY home repairs. The walls in the living room appear flush with the window molding. I can only assume that the previous owners put drywall over plaster & lathe walls? Not sure how to find out for sure. It looks pretty bad, but worse than that, the drywall work is kind of a mess, too. It has obvious humps and bumps all over the place, tape is peeling, etc.

I was debating either just repairing the bad drywall job, or completely removing the wall along with the possible plaster and lathe. It seems that both will be time consuming either way. I hate the idea of adding more mud when the drywall is already flush with the molding in most areas. :/

Any advice on which course to take? (We'll probably DIY, since we're already remodeling the kitchen and spending a lot there. I feel like I can accomplish a neater job than the previous owners. I only say this because of the obvious and messy DIY work in the rest of the house. It drives me nuts and I happen to care about the details.)

Comments (25)