SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Latest Drought Monitor Map, issued 2 Aug 2018

So, here's the latest Oklahoma Drought Monitor Map, issued this morning. It shows continued advancement of drought conditions in portions of the state, especially in the southern tier of counties that lie closer to the Red River....and, of course, in southwestern OK, which never seems to catch a break. It is odd how OK look almost like a doughnut, with the lucky drought-free counties in white mostly in the center of the state (in the doughnut hole, so to speak), and with the rest of us in various colors surrounding that white hole.

Oklahoma Drought Monitor Map

And, for all the rest of our gardening friends in other states, here is today's U. S. Drought Monitor Map in its entirety.

U. S. Drought Monitor Map

If anyone else has advanced to a new drought category this week, you have my sympathy. I think all we can do at this point is water and mulch, water and mulch and water and mulch. Oh, and hope for rain to fall sometime again. Often, at least in my county, we will get a little rain around mid- to late-August even in a drought year, so I'm pinning my hopes on that!

Usually Severe Drought is the point where I draw the line and stop watering, but y'all know I've already jumped the shark and decided to try to keep at least the flowering plants within the fenced garden alive for all the butterflies, bees and other pollinators because there's so little in the fields for them now. I don't know what if I do if we advance to Extreme Drought, because I doubt I can keep up this watering forever. Hopefully we get rainfall before we can advance to that point.

There's a billion or so bees and butterflies in the garden this morning. I can't give up because they need those flowers.

Comment