SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

It’s a planting frenzy!

I just got these guys in the ground...with thunder rumbling over me. I want to photodocument the progress, so this is the “Day One” photo. This bed has Alliance Franco-Russe, Westside Road Cream Tea, and Isabella Sprunt, plus lavendar, salvias, lantana & daylilies. Tomorrow it all gets mulched.

Looks like cloud cover and lower temps for us this week, and this my last week of summer, so just in the nick of time! The pink rose garden is up next! :-)

Comments (52)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

WoW! That is going to be a charming bed! YOu picked a perfect week to plant.I also photo-document all my efforts, but for my eyes only! : )) At the moment, I'm just putting things in temporary homes in case I don't have their permanent ones ready Fall. I think I have spaces for six more and then it's back to work clearing out brush . Perma, I hope you post pics of your other spaces in progress as those sorts of things are so useful even in different zones. Are these all on Fortuniana? I envy those who can grow teas. Your setting will set them off perfectly.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

The roses look great, and ready to start growing. Looking forward to seeing pics. Have a fun time planting the pink rose bed!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Krista_5NY
  • Related Discussions

Florentina Frenzy!!!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Mine is still in it's pot, but I recently had a brainstorm where to plant it in the spring. Too bad I didn't think of it a month ago. :( Don't feel shy about posting pics. I think the colour is hard to capture. What other climber do you think would complement it? Mine hasn't bloomed yet and I'm thinking of goving her a friend to grow with.
    ...See More

Help! How do I save this plant before it’s too late.

Q

Comments (3)
    Hmmm since Kristin said “shortly after” watering... I dont think so. Besides... that doesn’t look like absorption. Leaves look too translucent. IMO, alwaysbetter to err on side of caution. If it were my plant, I would unpot it asap, but remove it gently, not just pull it straight out. I would let it rest for a few days and in the meantime: I would add pumice if you can get it, or perlite which is more common and mix 50/50 into that soil. Mix looks too water retentive right now. Don’t let the “cactus mix” label fool you. None of the commerical mixes are truely ideal. And provide more light if you can. Appears to be living in a dark setting.
    ...See More

It’s Not What You Have; It’s Where You Place It

Q

Comments (59)
    When I sold my apartment people assumed we had staged it, but we didn't really change a thing except we probably kept the desk and mail more neat. Ida, I think that people are really losing their sense of the mind's eye and their ability to visualize and imagine despite being otherwise intelligent. Most people don't need that skill anymore and as knowledge gets more specialized, this just get shoved to the back. We also don't need to be able to spell correctly, or write grammatically in many fields anymore. Obviously one sees a lot of misspellings and and poor grammar in these forums. Or at the very least poor proofing, which still sort of proves it's not important. How many times have you read posts by people who misspell, have poor grammar, and don't seem very culturally literate who are building a 6000 square foot house with all the bells and whistles and no mortgage. It seems to happen enough. Obviously they are good at something. But being "educated" or well rounded is of less and less importance.
    ...See More

Why is my watermelon plant flowering even though it’s a small plant?

Q

Comments (0)
    Just read the title
    ...See More
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement! I decided I would post this one, which is stretching my perfectionism...the old me (younger me?) would’ve waited until it was flourishing to post, but I wanted to do this to possibly help others looking to do the same kind of thing.

Vaporvac, I only have one rose on Fortuniana, and that’s Etoile de Lyon. That was my first OGR/found rose, and since then I‘ve decided to own-root—-it‘s really hard to choose a rose, much less find it on Fort—-and I like the form of the plants own-root, too. I’ve spent the past two years adding organic matter to the soil, using cover-crops, and building hugelpits to build the fertility the roses need and, hopefully, defeat the nematodes. It’s all one big, lovely, fragrant experiment! :-)

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Perna, they will look geogeous. The colours and everything matches. 2 years is a long time. It is so important to have great fertile soil in Florida. I took short cuts but it is never too late to start in another areas. That is what I am trying to achieve.

It is great to see a bed done so well. I am sure you must be tired. I would love to see it bloom in stages. That would be so cool. I am eyeing on Westside Road Cream. That blooms like a machine :)

GREAT JOB !!!!!

Jin

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I love to see the entire process too. I think it will be a wonderful rose bed! The fillers sound great too.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • shebabee
    5 years ago

That's going to be beautiful! It looks like a lovely place you have there. Good work!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked shebabee
  • cedemas
    5 years ago

Yes, it will be beautiful! All great choices! I'm seething with jealousy here at your sunny space!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked cedemas
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And I’m filling it up with trees, lol! We always want what we don’t have, don’t we! :-)

• sharon2079
    5 years ago

I love to watch the progress from the beginning. Thank you for sharing..... Here in South Florida I am still waiting for September to start putting in things.... I am afraid of the Chili thrips on the new growth if I get them in too early.... Though I have started digging out grass..... I have roots that go down 2 to 3 feet.... ugg. I hate grass. I like flowers..... along with roses!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sharon2079
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

I SO agree with the others, in that I enjoy seeing the whole process. It helps me with new ideas, and gives a realistic view of how things look in the beginning. As much as I enjoy seeing mature, fully blooming beds, it can give a beginner false expectations when they try to do something similar. All those “mature, fully blooming beds”, don’t magically look that way immediately after planting. I really appreciate you showing us from the beginning. It also makes me personally, feel more excited when I eventually DO get to see pictures of the bed begin to grow and bloom. Thanks again. You chose great roses and companion plants! Lisa

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Lisa Adams
  • JF1174 (Tampa Z9b)
    5 years ago

Looks beautiful Perma! Where do you get your own root roses?

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked JF1174 (Tampa Z9b)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Sharon and Lisa! I’ve learned so much from the archived posts, that I’m hoping to pay it forward, and to help other folks in the future, for that very reason.

Thank you, jf1174! I’ve been trying them out from all over—Rose Petals, Angels Gardens, A Reverance For Roses, Chamblees, Roses Unlimited, & Antique Rose Emporium. I don’t have a lot to spend on my garden (just a teacher) but I’m doing what I can to encourage and support our OGR nurseries. I’m so hooked on these amazing flowers! :-)

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Updating on this corner of the garden, four months later:

The baby teas are still barely visible. Alliance Franco Russe on the left, and Isabella Sprunt to the right, with Westside Road Cream Tea in the middle. I’ve been debudding until recently. I’m hoping for a beautiful bloom in the spring. :-)

5 years ago

I think your garden is beautiful, Perma. I can't wait for your Spring photos. I relate to the baby Teas being invisible at first. It is super fun to see them finally take off.

5 years ago

That IS coming along so WELL! Gee! Like Sheila, I can't wait for your Spring photos! I have a feeling they won't be invisible for too much longer! ;0

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Sheila and Vaporvac! I’m super excited. They just can’t grow fast enough for me! :-)

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Everything is looking great! I love seeing this update, and like everyone else, can’t wait to see your spring show. Beautiful! Lisa

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Lisa Adams
  • Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

I, too, am looking forward to seeing them in bloom. They will be fabulous!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Krista_5NY
    5 years ago
    Oh, I can't wait either ! If only Spring comes sooner which it will in FL....lol :)
    I am looking forward to your garden and I am sure it will be fabulous. I can't wait to see them also. Boy, you will be so happy. I can only imagine your joy :)
    It is late at 12.20 and there I am deadheading my roses Bec I am walking through my backyard throwing ball for my dog and enjoying the blooms . I noticed they don't close at night like most flowers do...hmmm !!? Smelling them and enjoying the peaceful cool night.
    jin
    5 years ago

The above is Cecil Brunner and RJG and below is darker pink rose is Lady Megginch and RJG
    I definitely need a better camera instead if my phone trying to capture the stars as they are playing peek-a-boo with clouds that is moving super fast.
    If inly if I was camping outside that will be so awesome :)
    I love the look of RJG as the shape. It is growing well which means I need to speed up my bed process :)
    jin

5 years ago

You said that so well Jin that I feel as if I'm looking up at the stars with you and literally smelling the Roses! That is so beautiful. Your roses are getting so big too.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jin, I can totally relate. I love this time of year at night, when there are almost no mosquitos and you can enjoy stargazing. A couple nights ago, I heard an owl...the first time at this property and it absolutely thrilled me. I felt like a child, mesmerized by the owl‘s song, trying to figure out which tree he was in. I hope each night to hear him again.

Your roses ARE coming along very well—it seems like maybe summer is our winter here in Florida, and Fall is our Spring? I‘m seeing lots of growth now, and it’s just as exciting as Spring.

How are your worms doing?

5 years ago
    Perma, you hit the nail. yup, no mosquitoes or bugs. It is Spring for us. Seems the roses loves this type of weather. I have an owl too just the timing is off Bec it will come when I am gone early morning to work :(
    Worms are doing fine. I also found grubs right before the cold front. Now, they must have moved deeper down Bec I did not know what grubs eat. I dig for them found a few and removed them. Earthworms are hard to find. I found a few coil up so I left them alone.
    I will be going to Antique rose society and I am super excited. A Christmas tea party with live carolling. I order cater food Bec I wanted it to be perfect and not slave in my kitchen on my day off. It is going to be fun.
    Vap, I am glad you love it. To me the roses looks different at night even though it is the same rose. It is hard to describe what I meant.
    Now, I am a member of ARS and OAHRS ( Orlando Area Historical Rose Society ).
    jin
    5 years ago

Oh Jin! You may encourage me to join a society yet! I know what you mean about how they look at night. I love especially how the lighter roses glow at night. We also have owls! Bard owls. We have seen them nesting with their babies who are adorable. Even their baby hoot is hilarious. There are few things as exciting as seeing such a huge creature silently flying by.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Perma I like how your bed is quite large; that is so wise of you. Those roses will be happy to have enough space. Spring will be so exciting for you!

Jin, you made such a lovely post! I agree, it's wonderful to be out at that time when everything is quiet. Your RJG is already looking magnificent and I can't wait to see it take off when you plant it in the ground.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I love our table center pieces which is decorated with Bermuda Anna Olivia roses in little Xmas tree. Then each of us get a cup of gold nuggets and coins with Cramoisi Superieur rose.

5 years ago
    A few more pics.... sorry Perma,
    5 years ago

You guys rock! You even went all out with the Christmas China! That is awesome.

5 years ago

Oops , I hit a send button accidentally...

5 years ago

I absolutely had a great time. Time just flew and it was so relaxing met a couple who moved from Nevada. Everyone join in Xmas songs with had someone playing percussions. It took us longer to set up then cleaning up but FUN.
    oh, I just join ARS so mine is free (4 months), 2 magazines plus free advice and other perks. but when I signed up. I will get a free rose from Witherspoon Rose Culture $24.99 :) plus free 1 year subscription of Better home and garden Magazine
    along with new 2018 Handbook for selecting Roses.
    S and H is not included but still it is great deal that I cannot pass up. So, they will send me reminders as my expiration expires in February :)
    jin

5 years ago
    Vap, all the tables had China except for one table but had paper plates.but not cups, kettles or whatever. Each had own centerpieces which went home to lucky draw.
    Just wish there was wine, champagne or drinks that we will get more merrier...singing silly, laughing non stop, hugs to all till next year but we did that anyways...lol.
    I basically ran to rose garden. It was so beautiful with so many roses in bloom. I did not take any pics but there was a wedding going on there, we ran away from the area Like little girls giggling and it was busy day too with open Cinema in botanical garden showing a Christmas movie within 1.5 hours time :) but we decided to go home..back to work feeling like a Garfield on Monday now :)
    jin
    5 years ago

I love the way you put that jjin!... Like Garfield on Monday! LOL! What was the venue for this? It looks really fancy.

5 years ago
    Harry Leu Garden , 1885.
    jin
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What a lovely party! Someone obviously put a lot of thought and care into the event. I wish I was closer to join in! I’m so glad you had fun, Jin! We have to make time for such festivities—-so good for the soul! :-)

5 years ago

i have a few teas bloom today, So first 4 are Edith Perry
    .The last one is Souvenir De Umi. I thought I took a closer pic but I guess I did differently before taking a nap. I can't smell anything ad I caught a cold this morning .
    I absolutely love the shape of Edith as it is more of a round shape. Both are getting taller in few months as I bought them only in summer for $7 from Rose Petals . I real bargain :)
    I hope I said the names correctly as I guess it without referral..oops !!

5 years ago
    Corrections made ...
    First 3 is Edith Perry and last pic is Souvenir Dun Ami.
    jin
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Beautiful!! That's so wonderful, you had a great time and got so many goodies! I really should join something. I am just so unmotivated lol. Im lucky if I can make myself even go to the gym lately :D

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jin, I got those two this summer from RPN as well—so we have sister roses in our gardens—I can just imagine them hanging out together on the bench until that fateful day—lol! (Yours look much better than mine!) Gorgeous pinks! :-)

5 years ago

Jasmin, you are funny. You know so much about roses in FL. I wish I can join Gym and I totally admire Vap going to Gym. My work out is my garden as I try to clean up "junk".
    Perma, I would love to see those roses. Mine is in direct sun all day.
    Took S. D. A but it sway left to right facing downwards ad it was windy.

5 years ago

Your roses are so pretty, Jin! Isn't that the venue that had a plant sale earlier this year? I seem to recall you posted beautiful pics then. I support my DH working out, but it's fun to go together. I used to run outside and go swimming which I prefer, but I don't have cable so I like to watch the news on the treadmill! Of course, it's not like working in the garden, but I can carry much heavier things now that I'm doing small weights. It's amazing how bags of manure used to feel so heavy that I used a little wagon to move them, and now I can just hoist them up. I was shocked at that as I feel I go everyday, but never see results.

5 years ago

Your roses are so pretty, Jin! Isn't that the venue that had a plant sale earlier this year? I seem to recall you posted beautiful pics then. I support my DH working out, but it's fun to go together. I used to run outside and go swimming which I prefer, but I don't have cable so I like to watch the news on the treadmill! Of course, it's not like working in the garden, but I can carry much heavier things now that I'm doing small weights. It's amazing how bags of manure used to feel so heavy that I used a little wagon to move them, and now I can just hoist them up. I was shocked at that as I feel I go everyday, but never see results.
    It feels as I get older I need to do more just to stay the same! Ugggh!!!

5 years ago

Beautiful, Jin. I love my Edith Perry too (also from RPs)

Edith Perry
    My Sdun Ami is from RVRs and looks totally different from your beauty. To me, neither looks like the Tea ladies' Australian one, although yours is closer than mine.

S d un Ami from RVRs.
    S d un Ami RVRs.

5 years ago

Shiela, they look beautiful. Your last pic does look different
    I don't know why ?
    So, I just step out and took pics again.
    First two is Edith the last is Umi. Umi starting to look like yours . You would be a better judge than me. I got mine on June 22.
    Vap, that sale was in March or April. It is the same time when you came to FL . I love the idea of weights lifting for sure. I definitely needs muscles like that .
    Shiela, how old are your roses ?
    jin

5 years ago
    Shiela, I have to find the Australian teas and compare but I am not good . Just curious to know the difference.
    jin
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I believe there are two, and possibly three, different Souvenir d'un Ami roses in commerce so you may very well have different varieties. It's one of those rose puzzles that may or may not get sorted out in the future. I can only say that all the roses you've posted are drop-dead gorgeous. You've all chosen winners.

Jin, I can't thank you enough for the many wonderful pictures you took of the get-together. Everything looked lovely, and you all did a fantastic job. Are those vegetable pakoras on the plate in close-up? I used to make those, and I'm dying to have some now after seeing them. Actually, I'd happily eat everything I'm seeing!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

We'll have to start calling you "Eagle-eye Ingrid"! Good call! I think I just immediately glommed onto the pizzelle. The ones in the store are never as good as those I remember my BF's mom making. I truly can not get over the detailed work you guys went through to make such a lovely space! Yes, Jin, I was thinking of all those beautiful pics you sent me. I was at arrivals and wanting to hop in a car and join you! ;0

5 years ago
    Ingrid, I am so shocked. You do have eagle eyes :)
    I did not made that but order it Bec I wanted savory dish and I knew everything will be sweet. It was all gone and it was delicious made by the owner . I thank him for that.
    My favorite was scones with whip butter made with oranges skin and something. I will be getting the recipe next time.

Vap, my friend from Pennsylvania made Pizzelle sprinkle with white sugar powder. It was the best one I ever tasted in my life. The store ones taste nothing like homemade. Mandy moved back to PA about 5 yrs ago. She loves to cook and bake. I called her Mrs. Claus Bec she is so kind, loving, big heart, Rosy cheeks and very, very motherly. Actually, everyone at work including guests thinks she is Mrs. Claus.
    I was reading on Souvenir Umi and looking at pics. I am not good in this at all but hopefully I learned to be skillful one day.
    jin
    5 years ago
    Oh, Ingrid, you really pin point to the dish. It is pakoras. Yes, you are absolutely right. Good call :)
    jin
    5 years ago

I do think Ingrid is right that different plants are sold under the Souv d un Ami name. Aside from that are mislabeled plants we have all received, which add to the confusion. Jin, I only know roses that I have or I have seen in books as far as Tea roses go. I don't know anyone around here growing them. I'm quite a ways from places like Sacramento City Cemetery or any public Tea gardens. I'll have to look pakoras up.