SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vaporvac

Florentina Frenzy!!!!

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Wowza! Last weekend I was lucky enough to make the pilgrimage to Peter Schneider's Open House near Akron, OH. I'll write a post on that experience later, but I just wanted to feed the Florentina frenzy with some pics of his 4-5yr old specimen. It was unbelievable; these few pics don't capture the size of the flowers or plant, or their glorious colour. Kordes' and Cori Ann's pictures accurately represent that. It is NOT an orange-red, but a deep ruby red verging on garnet. Each flower is almost the size of an average man's palm and in such profusion a single cutting would make an entire bouquet. The basal growth is a thicket at ~ 2+'! It's growing on a small structure, but more as a bush. He provides minimal care (fertilizer 2x per season, compost, mulch) and it is still rudely healthy and hardy to at least Z5b with no die-back that I could see. His soil is Canfield B, sandy loam.
It currently stands at ~ 5.5'-6' tall next to a towering Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg. Alas, very little detectable fragrance, but this is one plant I'll give a pass.

Click to enlarge!

Comments (2)