SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzyq53

I need help refinishing this old front door please.

suzyq53
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I can't replace the door at this time so it has been sanded with fine and ultra fine paper and sander several times. It feels pretty smooth. Now I thought prestain conditioner, gel stain and several coats of diluted spar varnish. I don't want it too dark, but maybe its too dried out and uneven to be natural. Also the bottom piece is really more aged. Is there a better way? Any ideas on a stain color? Thanks in advance. I need all the help I can get.

Comments (66)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

suzyq53:

I stripped a hickory dining room in a historic home 30 years ago. I could not get the last bit of white paint out of the wood grain. My finisher made up a glaze and showed me how to apply it. It covered the white paint flawlessly.

Wood finishing is a trade onto itself. Explain your predicament to a finisher and see what he can come up with. I promise you more abrasion will not be part of his recommendation (if he knows what he's doing) nor will the door look "dirty".

My guy is still in business. He is amazing.

suzyq53 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

After another day of sanding with grittier grit.

• Related Discussions

Need help trying to refinish old farm table

Q

Comments (15)
    I don't know what color you should go for with all those different woods in the room, but if you want to go natural I suggest that first you at least wipe down the table with an old white T shirt dampened with mineral spirits (to get any dust off). Really should have used a chemical stripper instead of sanding the finish/stain off. Sand to 220, wipe down with mineral spirits after each change in paper (I don't know what grit DS ended with). Then brush on a couple of coats of thinned (half and half) dewaxed shellac (Sealcoat is good) and denatured alcohol. You can lightly hand-sand with 320 between each coat but I really haven't found it necessary. After a couple (or 3 or 4 - depends on how thickly you're putting it on) you can use a gel stain to adjust the color if needed, then I would put on a couple of coats of gloss poly (sand and wipe between each coat), you can stop with that or top with a lower-sheen. I have only done doors and stairs this way, don't know what in particular you would use on a kitchen table but ask at finishing store, I'd think you'd want food-safe but don't know what brand or line would be best for durability. The shellac really makes the pine almost iridescent - I think you'll like it.
    ...See More

Refinishing 100year old int doors- help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey!In my opinion you should definately preserve this wood!I'm from D.C. area and have worked with this wood extensively.There are many ways to remove paint,fill nail holes,cracks etc.These may be labor intensive,but not real difficult.Burn in sticks are the best solution.The wood may then be tinted(toned)to the exact coler you prefer.Stay away from shellac,it is to high gloss.It is a great sealer,before a laquer coat.Heart pine should have a satin finish on an old structure.There are some great catylized laquer finishes which can provide iron clad protection for your millwork.There is no more old growth longleaf heart pine forests in America that can be harvested.All the lumber comes from re-milled beams,or sunken logging timber. I'm in Palm harbor.Pretty close,shoot me an e-mail,maybe i can look at it and help a bit.
    ...See More

Green front door help, photoshop needed pretty please!

Q

Comments (23)
    Wow, thank you aktillery9 ! Looks great! I tried the BM color visualizer, it was terrible on my screen, all green showed the same ugly shade. Garage door will be painted white and more black contrast added with big black barn lights on garage and flanking front door. We eventually want to do a black acrylic roof overhang between the two sets of windows but that's further on for sure. I am planning on having a door knocker so good call! Thanks! if you have time and I'm not sure how long these things take, I'd love to see how it looks a bit brighter. Thanks so much, this is immensely helpful!
    ...See More

HELP - I need help deciding on storm door/front door combo color.

Q

Comments (3)
    Front doors should stand out and be welcoming, color that pops. You could try something like a Raspberry Truffle in the reds, or maybe a Bermuda Blue.
    ...See More
  • suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thinking of using these.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

did you go over the rough spots with at least 150? don't leave it at the 80 or a 100.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I got my gardener/handyman working on it today. My hands started cramping up like a lobster claw from squeezing the dang sponge. He is coming back tomorrow for more removal sanding with the door open and then going over all with 120 and 220. Its not going to be perfect by any means, but hopefully better and protected until I bite the bullet to replace it. I'm all about the backyard where we live, so its just hard to justify the hassle and expense at the front that is only visible to deliveries and some guests. When we have parties, everyone comes through the gate to the backyard. Some of the delivery people knock on the laundry room door which is first and closest to the driveway and pretty ugly too.

• Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    I don't care for Minwax stain. I have used it but prefer ZAR or General Finishes products. I used Old Masters Wiping Stain for a recent project with some cabinets and found it quite easy to work with. A quality paint store or woodworking store like Rockler would carry a higher end product line than a big box store
    suzyq53 thanked Lyndee Lee
  • suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Lyndee. We have Rocklers but its far away. A lot of the stains say for interior use only. I don't know if I can use them outside even if I cover with spar varnish. This one says "interior/exterior".

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

suzy, then I think you'll be fine w/the walnut stain. I personally don't like using minwax for something like that door. if it's all you have and really don't care, then it will work, but I also prefer GF or the varathane. the gels will dry a bit faster, but in this heat, I don't think it matters!

and yes, my hands/fingers hurt for days after that door I did. use your pre stain conditioner and wipe up as much loose dust before you stain. i like to put it on w/a lint free rag ( wear gloves) and rub it in the wood as I go. since it is so warm, it will set fast, so try and wipe it on as evenly as possible. let it dry for a day and brush on your man o war.

suzyq53 thanked Beth H. :
  • Agnes
    5 years ago

Suzyq53, just another homeowner here and love wood as well but in this case, I would stop wasting my time and save my hands and just paint it, specially since you are looking to replace it and it's a door rarely used/seen by guests.

suzyq53 thanked Agnes
  • Agnes
    5 years ago

Here ya go, used the BM website to recolor.

suzyq53 thanked Agnes
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

suzyq,,agnes has a point. try the stain and varnish. if it still looks ratty, paint it. I actually think paint will look very nice. and both paint and varnish have the same upkeep. (actually, w/varnish, you're supposed to do it every year) .

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's what I was thinking too Beth. The only issue is on the inside the door is stained and matches all the wood and bannister and trim. The threshold on the door portion is both inside and outside so thats kind of weird.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

that's ok. you can always get a new threshold made if you have to. or just try and salvage that one w/the stain. the painted portion of the exterior will look fine against it if it's stained.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

oh that's easily fixed. wish I lived closer to you. I could do that in less than an hour. take your paper, 80-100, and sand off those scratches (on the inner edge) and stains. then do a 150 and a light go over w/220. pre condition, then stain. you should be fine. do the jamb while your at it. I like your dark tile.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Me too. I have so many projects for you. And you're so good at it. Just got back from UTC. Hot as hell there. Not bad outside here but have to flip the ac now its 79 in the house. I'm not going to scratch that bleeping door again until it cools off. I'd go to the beach but they have the 101 so screwed up its ridiculous. SDG&E thinks this is a good time to dig things up since school is out. Hello this is a beach town. Summer is the busiest. So many Arizona plates now and vacation renters. Also a hot area for AirBNB.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

The wood itself is stained from water. You need to bleach the wood to even it out. Try oxalic acid or Barkeepers Friend which is made with oxalic acid.

This will get rid of those dark spots.

For an even finish use a gel stain. The gel stain will cover and blend what you miss with the sanding. The oxalic acid will also remove some of the previosu coatings. It is not a dangerous acid but of course use gloves and eye protection.

People always try and sand but for the flat parts a simple Bahco scraper which can be bought from Amazon will have that door down to fresh wood in 1/4 the time. They even sell a smaller version with different blades that would get into your molding details.

If you have ever used a cabinet or Bahco scraper you will barely need your sander. Apply firm pressure and pull towards you. Home Depot sells a cheap version that works well but only has flat 2" scrapers vs the versatilely of a Bahco.

A couple pulls and your a perfect fresh and now smooth wood ready to be stained. No messy strippers needed. I would only use strippers in the tightest details. Also you have to neutralize the strippers when your done.

suzyq53 thanked GannonCo
  • suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

After a few more days of sanding. My husband now says he doesn't want it stained dark. He's saying just a light stain in the faded areas on the door and a slightly darker stain on the threshold, followed by several thin coats of satin spar varnish. What color stain would you use?

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Would weathered oak or natural oak work? I'm afraid golden oak or natural will be too yellow.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

weathered oak is on the grayish side. have never used natural oak, but it's prob close to what the door is. here are some others. i think these are minwax or maybe varathane. not sure what you're using. light walnut wouldn't be too dark. maybe summer oak

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

That door isn't going to look good without a glaze.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

It's not going to look much better than it is now w/that light stain he wants. It really isn't going to do much. So suzyq,,,fair warning. (paint the door and save yourself the time/hassle)

(and glazing is a coating of color that sits atop another color or stain. really not going to help out on this raw oak surface. glazing is not a stain. you can't just put it on that raw door. stain has to go on first, and then the glaze, if you want to go that route.)

also Joseph, her husband doesn't want a dark stain. glazes are usually dark, unless you want a whitewash type of look. So stop w/the glazing already. it's not the look they want.

suzyq,,,here is a video on glazing,,,AFTER the stain and a clear coat lacquer is applied.

part II glazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_847875051&feature=iv&src_vid=wTbBgdA_yFk&v=Nh3NtZqtJ8I

here is part 1, staining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTbBgdA_yFk

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I tried to tell him that. I thought special walnut would at least blend it better. He has taken numerous woodworking classes at the community college and made some pretty serving/cutting/pizza boards, so now he's Bob Vila. It does look slightly better in person. At least it will look fresher with the marine varnish.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

bob villa! lmao. ok. can't wait to see this! (and you can add a little stain color to the marine varnish,,,just make sure if using oil base varnish, you use the oil stain. ditto if using water based stuff)

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay - More sanding and mineral spirits. Its looking pretty good except needs work at the bottom of the door. More sanding there? Or bleach there? Or condition there and stain to match the rest of the door? Or thats as good as it gets and just marine varnish?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

“...so now he’s Bob Villa.” Lmao.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

looks like the bottom part is going to suck up more stain. could because that's the part that got most of the water absorption, so the grain has been expanded more than up top. let that mineral spirits dry out a bit. use the condition first and apply the stain. I'd go very lightly w/the stain at the bottom. maybe just a quick brush on an off. for the upper part, let it stay on a bit longer. hopefully you can even it out that way.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

The person who does the sanding picks the stain color! Bystanders get no say.

Call it good enough and get a kick plate for the bottom of the door.

suzyq53 thanked ci_lantro
  • Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    I added a brass kickplate to one of my old doors and it is very practical and looks great too. We originally were only going to do one door, but it worked out so well we went back for two more and did the entry door from the garage and the front door as well as the side door.
    suzyq53 thanked Lyndee Lee
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Lyndee, just read your post about not liking Minwax stain.

I don't like Minwax stain, either. Seem to be skimpy on pigment and take forever to dry. (The oil based stains.)

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And more sanding. The bottoms are better. I'm going to gel stain the threshold with hickory color today and see how it looks.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Suzyq, get to the store and buy yourself a Bosch random orbit sander. They're at least 10x better/ faster than those pad sanders.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Random-Polisher-ROS20VSC-Carrying/dp/B00BD5G9VA

I have one and love it. Had a Porter Cable one before; got it at a garage sale and then found another one & gave it to my son. Both PC's are history. Garbage so don't waste your money on a Porter Cable.

Oh, & the door is looking good!

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Started staining the door today. I think its gonna need at least two coats of stain. Its looking better than I thought.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Now the whole thing has been stained once. Just finished the door part so its still wet. Tomorrow I'll go over the lighter areas again. The next day I'll begin the marine varnish. It definitely looks better than I thought it would. Glad I went with the hickory stain.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

nice suzy. it does look better. I like the color.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Beth! Even DH who wanted it light says it looks good as is. I talked him out of the light stain by saying it would look more blotchy and wouldn't go with the moody gray stone. I think the spar varnish will really help too and darken it a little more and kind of even things out with the satin finish.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Stained again today. I'll post again this evening when it soaks in. Hopefully I'm almost done with the stain. This is too much work and its too hot!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

you really only need to do one coat of stain. usually it absorbs all it's going to absorb. any new coats and you may get a very tacky, sticky finish. wipe off any residue and let it dry.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks again Beth. Its not sticky; it just keeps absorbing it. Its gel stain applied with a cloth and wiped off/in after a few minutes. I'm done staining now. Tomorrow is the first thin coat of varnish. I'm gonna do the sidelights first. I've got my ac going full blast so I need to keep the door closed as much as possible. It will dry fast in this heat.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

ok good. sounds like it needed the extra coat. and yes, try and do it early in the morning before that door heats up. brushing on the varnish when it's hot, and it will gum up on you, or dry as you're brushing.

if you need to, it's perfectly ok to thin it w/a bit of mineral spirits. (which exterior varnish are you using?)

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have this kind, but it says do not thin. It seems like its already pretty thin. I have been using a little mineral spirits to blend in the stain in some places.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

When I bought the spar varnish, I was shaking it and the lady helping me said don't shake it, it will make bubbles. She got me a different can and paint stirrers. She said just barely mix it a few times with those.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm looking for a 5x8 outdoor rug to use as a door mat once its all spruced up. My handyman wants to polish the handle and dead bolt thing with Brasso, but I kind of like the patina.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

it's ok to thin it if you have to. yes, I've used that kind on my own wood. varnish is 1/3 mix of poly, mineral spirts and some type of oil (linseed usually). using a bit more spirits to thin it won't hurt it.

I used that same product for either my wood gate or the bridge over the pond.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

First coat of varnish today. Not perfect but looking much better to me.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

it's actually looking pretty good suzy. much better than the before shot. nice work!

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Its def better than it was. I generally ignore the exterior because I just don't like the style and I can't fix it. But it was embarrassing how shabby the door looked. I think I can live with it like this for a while. Rather put the money where I live. Thanks for sticking with me Beth. Maybe this will help someone else too.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I hope so. and kudos to you for doing all the work.

• suzyq53
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I had a little help from my friends, you and Arturo. I used to live in Tucson in the 70s. I would buy old furniture at thrift stores and estate sales and fix it up for my little houses. Most of it would be genuine antiques today. But back in the day, you could take it to be dipped in huge lye vats that would strip it to the bone. That was the last time I tried refinishing anything except just rubbing Restore-a-finish on old cabs. This door is my final attempt at refinishing I think.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

lol. they are a pain, aren't they? I did that one front door for a client,,,sanded stained and then painted (she wanted that distressed, Spanish paint sort of finish) w/chalk/milk paint. I know I didn't charge enough! Last time I do that.

your next one (yes, you'll do something in the future!) will go a lot easier.