SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

How often do you purge your spices?

While I was prepping for cookies this morning, I noticed a couple of very old spice jars in the back of the cabinet. One was Turmeric that had a "best by" date in 2010. The other was White Pepper from 2012. I tossed them both in the trash and will replace them the next time I have a recipe that calls for either one.

Now that the cookies are cooling, I'm going to empty the entire cabinet and check dates. Might have a few for the Smithsonian in there.

Comments (33)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

When I moved a dozen years ago I replaced and started anew. I buy bulk 1/4, 1/2, and pound amounts depending on usage. All are in the freezer, a hundred+, then re-filled into smaller jars for the kitchen.

When I had/have old odd amounts like you have, I transfer into a gallon jug of basic white vinegar to soak/ferment for an organic yard bug spray. Old sprouting garlic, fresh hot pepper stem ends and seeds, etc. I just keep adding to the two gallons in the garage. (started them a few years ago). Great for ticks. I spray the yard perimeter once a month or so depending on rainfall. The wooded areas as I live in the forest.

I add diatomaceous earth, food grade, to the mix for the house foundation. Keeps out any ants. Tumeric will stain so not great for sidewalks or light colored house foundations.

Things like baking powder I label the date I open it on the top with a sharpie.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I no longer buy jarred herbs and spices. A local grocery has a huge bulk foods area and carry every herb or spice or blend known to man so I purchase 'as needed'. They have small ziplock plastic bags that you can use or purchase small containers. Some spices/herbs that I use a lot I will put in a bottle or jar but otherwise I just leave in the plastic and replace routinely. Since I never buy very much at once, it is a negligible expense.....always under a dollar and often just a few cents.

• Related Discussions

How do you store your spices?

Q

Comments (17)
    I have so many spices and herbs and spice mixes in different sizes and shapes - jars, shakers, tins, boxes, baggies - I gave up trying to keep them in a drawer or on the shelf in a loose fashion. Things got lost behind other things and everything looked messy. I bought a bunch of inexpensive shoebox sized clear-ish storage containers. I placed all of my spices and herbs in those and stacked them two high in each shelf above and to the right of my stovetop (the most logical spot for me though I might rethink it) for a total of six containers. They are not organized alphabetically but by frequency of use. The things I use the most often are in the lower two bins on the bottom shelf. The things I use less often (or are extras) are in the shelves above as those require that I get a step stool. (I'm 5 feet tall.) I have small cabinet shelves to hold them so I can take one bin out at a time. I placed one set on the table for better light. Apologies for the crummy cell phone image. I also have other herbs and spices in a pantry shelf in additional containers. Those are things I use the least often or have purchased in bulk. Eileen Here is a link that might be useful: Shoebox sized containers.
    ...See More

How often do you prune your belongings?

Q

Comments (39)
    Artemis, same here! I must start sorting and discarding--we have the great luxury of over a year's lead time till we retire and transition to living in what is now our vacation house. I must begin working on the mammoth project of clearing out our home of 30 years. We're not hoarders but we have a full house of stuff, as everyone does and it cannot all go down there! I know the hardest things to part with will be the furniture and decor items that just don't belong in the new place; I've lightened up my 'tropical traditional' style considerably in our new house and I love the fresh look I have going down there. But oh it will be wrenching to give up things I've used and loved so long. I"m planning to start with the easy stuff-things that are not sentimental or in use. Friday is commencement day at my university which for those who work in higher ed is the official start of summer :). I'm going to try to discipline myself to either set a timer or make some job slips (clear a shelf/empty a drawer/sort a closet bar) and draw the winning task each evening since I won't be coming home exhausted and fit only to eat dinner and gaze vacantly at HGTV for an hour or so before heading off to bed.
    ...See More

How often do you wash down and re-seal your backsplash?

Q

Comments (10)
    I didn't know there was such a thing as a splatter guard for the stove -- will have to look into that. There's a gap behind the stove and the back wall so I can't prop anything up on there, but the glass cutting board is a good idea. The deep fryer is in the garage, but DH does pan-fry/high-heat saute stuff on the stove. And guess what? I'm the one who oil-stained the grout already!! I was browning some chicken pieces, on the front burner no less, and a big splat of oil hit the backsplash. I did wash down the splash that evening but darn it a small section of grout got hit good. Soapy water and a grout brush didn't work, 409 and a grout brush lightened it enough to where no one will ever notice but me because I know it's there and it bugs me. So yea, I probably should re-seal once a year.
    ...See More

How often do you re-pot your hostas?

Q

Comments (6)
    media wears out .. 5 years is a long time .. its job is a water management .. and that is what fails.. water is o longer moving thru the pot properly ... perhaps running down the sides.. instead of going down thru the media... and all of a sudden you have a plant in drought in a pot that you know you water ... then the roots start goring out toward the edges.. and the middle is barren.. or just a gob of dead roots ... its time to repot ... sorry i cant offer you excuses otherwise .. ken ps: you got darn lucky with winter ... when i moved 1650 pots of hosta out here from livonia... i lost about 185 blues .... they sprouted early.. and then did not like being in cold sodden wet spring pots ....
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

I don't use that many spices, and the ones I do use I go through fairly quickly. I do have a fairly large collection of coriander seeds, but I replace them every year when I get new seeds from cilantro that I allow to go to seed.

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I go through them so quickly, it's usually not an issue. I throw it out when the cannister of spice no longer looks like the ones they sell now. Otherwise I purge at least once a year, except there is probably a 30-year-old alum up there on the shelf. It's in a cool (to me) plain-Jane container ... I have many bags of cinnamon and turmeric I use in the garden when I am rooting plants. It's a good anti fungal ...

• plllog
    5 years ago

I don't purge, per se. About once a year, I go through and look for things that need replenishing and make lists. I have a LOT of dried herbs and spices, whole spices, etc. They actually keep very well when they're dried. Penzey's style change more quickly because they're not completely dry, so they dry out.

When I'm choosing spices/herbs to use, I'll look at some of the neighbors as well. I keep them in clear glass, in a dark cupboard, so they're easy to assess. If something looks old, I'll open it up and check the smell and flavor, and deal with it as needed. Similarly, I assess what I'm using. Even if a jar is new bought, you don't know how strong it is until you try it. There are differences in growing conditions that will make them different.

I started to convert to all whole spices, because they do last longer, but then it's a lot harder to tell when they need replacing, and it means planning to toast and grind them. I do use fresh herbs from my garden, but keep more kinds dried. There are some things I prefer to use dried herbs in anyway for moisture control.

I keep them as long as they smell and taste right. When they get old, they lose flavor and become gritty. If they're merely less pungent than formerly, but still smell and taste right, I just use more!

• ritaweeda
    5 years ago

I purged about 4 years ago, found stuff that the packaging had changed who knows when. I use a lot of spices and herbs, some very frequently, but there are some that I don't use frequently and they were the main culprits.

• nancyofnc
    5 years ago

Smell - taste. A lot of the herbs and spices are fine after years of them being jarred and kept sealed in a dark place. I bought a lot when I was working at my farmers market to make pickles, baked goods and such, spices and herbs by the pound! Ever check the per pound price of those little jars at the grocery store???? I could buy a pound or so of them for about the same price as an ounce. Since I do a lot of cooking and baking still, they all are sufficient for the things I am making, Take a whiff. Do they smell like what they are? Taste a bit - do they taste fine? If either has diminished - add twice a much, If they don't taste like anything - toss.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Like others, I smell and taste and then decide whether to keep or discard.

I also buy the most used spices in bags or large containers, and they get used quickly enough that there's not enough time for them to lose flavor. I grow a lot of my own herbs and I freeze basil, chop it up, add olive oil just enough to make "plops" and freeze those, then I want fresh basil and a "plop" goes into the sauce or whatever. I try thyme, rosemary, oregano, chives, tarragon.

The only ones that don't get used or are outdated are those free samples I get from Penzey's. Some I like and use up, but right now I have a couple of jars of Peri Peri, some Northwoods Seasoning and I disliked their fajita seasoning, as did everyone else in the family. Those I donate to the local food pantry, along with those blends that I'm experimenting with and decide I don't like or won't use.

Annie

• plllog
    5 years ago

I keep larger bags of herbs and spices well sealed in the freezer, but sometimes I forget them. I have a big bag of fenugreek! I do check in the freezer, when I run out of things, but I might not have thought to do so on that on.

Re bulk and pricing, I don't have the storage space for bulk. The ones I have in the freezer are less than what would fit in a food service sized jar. When look at the price, I think of it in terms of the cost of the jar as well. I soak and reuse my jars. I never seem to have too many.

One thing I do love is the little Spicely boxes. They're good quality, though not Penzey's/Spice House level, and many are organic. There's maybe a couple of tablespoons in each, so in a dish or two it's gone. For things like ground mustard, which loses its flavor faster, these are excellent, and pop right into one of those saved glass jars, or a zip bag if there's no room. If it's something unfamiliar for a new recipe, it's a great way to sample it without a big investment.

5 years ago

Depends on what you think is quality. No pre-mixed spice mix is quality. Certainly nothing with sesame or any seed/nut. Or any ground mix. Buying whole seed cannot be compared. Toasted and ground at home. Oil in most seed goes rancid quickly.

Nothing compares to roasting green coffee beans. Nothing compares to a good pour-over Chemex.

I do hate to mention because once you take the leap to fresh it is hard to look back.

I have no stale cabinets of spice. Takes some time 'maintenance', lol.

My MIL had/has an obsession with Penseys but I'm guessing it was about the freebies. (that commercial ploy sucks so many IN to their market plan). She took her spices when they moved 20 years ago, and again when she moved into assisted living recently. 30 year old spices. She is obsessed and never frozen....

She sent Christmas gifts a few years in a row of Penzey. First ingredient is salt. Such a cheap filler. I toast and grind my own. As does my BIL. We did mention eventually that we toast and grind our own....

l go through so much bbq rub for one weekend, not sure what a 2oz Penzey would cover....a single rib? And full of salt? Salt is the first listed ingredient. I never use salt.

My fresh toasted/ground dry rub cost 50cents. For a pint.

Oh, just me, on my box about big rip-off corporations taking advantage.... : 0...: )

And then they play political and the 'give-back' revolution. After making millions thinking/playing they have a soul....move this to 'hot topics',? lol.

• plllog
    5 years ago

LOL! That little jar is for potato chips or something. I got one as a freebie. It's not very good.

If I had to grind fresh for every meal, nothing would get cooked. I do it for some recipes. In a lot of things I make, there really isn't that big a difference.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There's no argument - if you grind seeds you get the freshest spices. Yeah, I did that back in the 60s and 70s. For the important stuff - those spices that I use on a regular basis - I buy from a family-owned spice shop here in Fort Collins. The rest come from the supermarket in small quantities and only the organic stuff. Because I use a huge amount of granulated garlic, I buy that from Costco and powdered Scotch Bonnet peppers come from an online source in Kingston.

I threw out about a quarter of the spice cabinet, mostly based on date and non-usage.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Not often enough... but I'm working at getting better. I date my spice jars - even those I make myself (well, especially those). Herbs too. The problem is so many get stuffed to the back and I buy more of the same, and at some point I find the old ones!

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

sleevendog

share your dry rub recipe ...please and thanks

• plllog
    5 years ago

2Many, that's why I make lists. I ended up buying marjoram four times in six weeks. :)

5 years ago

bragu, I did fib a bit. I have way more spices than I care to admit, : ).

My blends are custom to suit our preferences. We do like to explore different cultures and spices....and why we have a January winter month of new things we decide to try. Ugly snow fall outside, fun meals inside. Really does help to educate the rest of the year! After the holidays we go way off the charts with brothy homemade stocks and spice mix trials. One memorable failure was using too much lavender and rosemary...way too floral and piney.

My burger and steak mixes are pretty solid and bbq rub is almost like a mole with many spices. Especially for pork. Beef boneless ribs I use the 'steak/burger' rub.

I'm not sure which one you are referring to as I have so many but I do have a dozen spice mix sellers in my saved bookmark folder....

For example, HERE. click on any spice blend and it give the ingredient list....then I search(google) the blend for other ingredient recipes and adjust quantities that I know we will like.

(I so do not like cinnamon or marjoram, or vanilla...I actually spit out a homemade oatmeal cookie last night that had so much cinnamon. Yuck) ...I was the 1%. Loved by all but me, lol. If smaller amounts are used, some spices add to the blend of ingredients and work fine. Oregano can overpower.

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

well, I am searching for that perfect BBQ rub, which in and of itself is a subjective thing. My brother-in-law's wife's brother (theory of relativity is lost on me here) has a super rub recipe ... but he won't share ... says he wants to market it. Won't happen. I should buy it from him and market it myself. It's pretty good, but there's one flavorful spice I don't recognize. You don't need any wet mop with it.

I was looking for Lou's finger licking spare rib rub recipe on the forum, but can't find it ... it's about a decade old

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh good lord, the secret barbecue rub strikes again!

Here's my rub. I have taken first places with this rub on pork ribs and Boston butt. Everyone who's eaten barbecue with this rub likes it. It's simple, which is probably why it works so well:

Original Boca Boys - use this on pork, chicken, and lamb

• 6 tablespoons Granulated Garlic Powder
    • 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
    • 2 tablespoons Paprika (I use Szeged Hot Hungarian)
    • 1 tablespoon Garam Masala - an Indian spice blend, made by McCormicks and others
    • 1/2 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
    • 2 tablespoons Turbinado Sugar
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Ricky, thank you for sharing, that looks good. I agree, simple for rubs seems to do it for me/us. Have never tried Garam Masala though... I will soon as we run out of ribs!

• plllog
    5 years ago

Bragu, re relativity, at that point we just say "cousin". :)

Are you sure you're looking for a rub? Lou posted his sauce (includes commercial bottles) a few times, including one called finger lickin':

Lou's Broiled Spare Ribs and Finger Licking Good , Sauce

I use Country Style or Sizzlers , cut a little thicker than '½ inch

For about 3'½ lb. of meat.
    Put a pot of water to boil, on the range top, with just enough water
    To cover the Ribs.
    Add:
    1/3 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning , Garlic Powder and Onion Powder.
    An Italian pinch of Ground Cloves , Basil and Oregano
    1/4 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
    2 Bay leaves
    Simmer for about 35 minutes If I'm going to make Spaghetti Sauce later,
    I'll save this stock to thin the Tomatoes and Puree

Meanwhile, put in a small bowl :
    1/2 cup of Bullseye or Krafts Original Barbecue Sauce
    1/2 cup of Ketsup
    1/2 teaspoon of Mustard
    ¼ teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning
    1/3 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
    An Italian pinch of Cloves , Basil and Oregano
    Black Pepper - to taste.
    2 tablespoons of Brown Sugar and Maple or Pancake Syrup
    2 Heaping tablespoons of Grape Jelly and Strawberry Jam
    Smooth out the Jelly and Jam with a fork and mix well.

This may sound like overpowering sweetness but it is not.
    It is a Sweet and Sour taste.

I use a 9x 13 SS pan and lay some Sauce on the bottom.

Then I lay in the simmered Spare Ribs and spoon the Sauce on them.
    If there is some sauce left over , save it for basting when the ribs are almost done.
    I cook them in an electric range Broiler, set on Low,
    Placed on a shelf about 8 inches below the burner.
    They will cook in about 25 minutes. Test after 20 minutes
    Ummmmmmmeemm Gooooooooood !!!!!!

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

Ricky, thanks for sharing your recipe (again, I think). I want to try it next time I do ribs. I think the elusive secret ingredient must be the Garam Masala, although I will confess, it may be one of my spices that requires purging. ugh!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

NEVER! I actually kept a tin box of Tumeric I found in my mother's kitchen. She died in 1993. I opened it recently and it smelled just fine - may use it the next time I fix black beans and rice!

5 years ago

If you take Ricky's basic blend and use a GaramMasala recipe using whole spices, you will get a great rub. I think garam means 'spice', and masala means 'blend'. Many of them depending on region. You end up with maybe 15-20 spices. I think the combination is worth it. I like the caramel flavor of a dark brown sugar.

I don't grind spices for every meal/recipe. I make blends depending on the season. Enough for a month of bbq season, then more as I use it up. Probably in a couple weeks I will re-stock some of my near empty jars from the freezer stash, and make a new batch of rubs at the same time.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

sleevendog, I tried to 'grind' whole toasted spices for garam masala with a hammer (you know why!) and it went everywhere! LOL! I had found a recipe earlier using pre-ground, so that will suffice for now : ) I've seen (and stared) at your spice mixes, and I think I remember seeing one you'd labeled "everything" which sounds like me! I have spice, salt, and rub mixes that are labeled, and those I never got around to, but know what they are : )

• plllog
    5 years ago

I'm more likely to mix as I go, though I can see making up a big bin of barbecue rub for the season if you're doing a lot of 'cue. I have a very convenient spice rack, and I just pull what I need on the spot. That's why grinding fresh is such a drag unless I'm making a specific recipe. I really only feel I need to do it for "spicy" foods, i.e., where the spices are the forward flavor. If the star is what the spices are on, there isn't enough difference to matter.

• User
    5 years ago

i am on a rotation regime with my spices. Penzey's is my supplier of choice.

Each year, in December, I move all my spices from the cottage to the townhouse in the city. Then I move all the spices that were in the townhouse to Florida.

While in Florida I order all new spices to take home in April.

Whatever is left in the Florida at the end of April I pitch or give away.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alert - anyone who printed out or coped down my rub recipe. There's a typo. It's supposed to be 1/2 a tablespoon of cayenne pepper. Sorry if you got burnt.

5 years ago

1/2 a tsp or Tbsp? I don't use too much hot spice in my BBQ rub since I make a few different spicy garlicky malt vinegary side sauces. I like ribs that don't need sauce but a random dip is good. One with, one without...

2MD, the 'everything' is 'EverythingBagel'. We don't eat bagels or make them as they are everywhere in NYC. (I did have a 1/4 of one with lox last week at work but that is rare)....we even rip out the dough inside and just have the 'skin'.

'EverythingBagel' is toasted sesame seed, flaked toasted garlic and onion, poppy seeds, sea salt. I leave the salts out of the blend and add salt later to whatever I'm using it for. Sometimes a pinch of chipotle, cumin, smoked paprika. etc. I use it on my burger buns. The light brioche buns. I like it pulsed in my spice grinder for popcorn with a pinch of OldBay and nutritional yeast or parm.

• plllog
    5 years ago

The everything in a bakery everything bagel are the bits that fall through the grid to the catch tray and are dumped in a container together for a second try at sticking. That doesn't make it bad! I like everything bagels. :)

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I've seen (and drooled over) your everything bagels sleevendog, and now I've saved your 'everything bagels' blend : ) And clearly I stare too long at all your lovely jars of spices ; ) I didn't know that plllog - interesting how that came about!

I do have some sea salts bottled, but they are homemade flavored salts. The only blend with salt I currently have is smoked salt and bacon. More bacon than salt and I think I used Kosher I'd smoked for that to pulse it finer. It's extravagantly delish on steaks but even better on poached eggs : )

Wait, I'm wrong, I've a curry, salt, paprika and 'other stuff' blend for potatoes. Packed, so I can't remember the 'other stuff'!

• plllog
    5 years ago

Sometimes it's the leftovers at the bottom of the container all thrown into one pot for the everything. Same as when you get a mixed bag of small novelties. They're usually the leftovers. :)

I like spice blends for shortcuts, but not things like barbecue rubs, which, as I said, I make on the spot. I like garlic pepper (no salt) for adding some flavor to single servings of this or that. Eggs, sandwiches, reheated pasta, etc., as well as salad dressing (one off) or anything where it just doesn't matter much exactly what it tastes like and isn't worth bothering with a bunch of different bottles. I also love herb blends like Italian, Herbes de Province and Fines Herbes for things like omelettes. I've made my own of all of these blends, but they really aren't any better than the premade ones and the labels are easier to read on the latter. If I really care about the exact balance, or I"m making a whole pot rather than a single sandwich, I measure out my own for the purpose rather than keeping a jar of the blend for that dish.

Interesting about the sesame seeds. The only blend I've bought with those is Zaatar, and only the single portion little box. I hadn't thought of it, but sesame seeds go rancid fast, so it would sure be wasteful to keep a sesame blend sitting around. The other thing I use pre-made blends for, like zaatar or taco is for cooking away from home. Bringing all the spices is a pain, and isn't good for the spices, and where it has to be kosher it's not an option anyway, but I'm not going to buy a whole set for one meal, so the packets are useful, and I can amend the balance if necessary from what I find in the kitchen there.

• marymd7
    5 years ago

Dried herbs, ground spices, and all seeds/nuts I keep in the freezer. They lose flavor very quickly IMO if you don't, but keep well for years if you do. I have a small spice cabinet of whole spices in smaller jars which are kept for convenience in the kitchen, but well away from the heat of the stove and oven. I grind them as I need them. I usually buy whole spices in bulk as well and store them in the freezer, just replenishing my smaller spice cabinet jars as necessary.