SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fratantoniluxuryestates

In ONE word this kitchen is _________

Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
On a scale of 1 - 3; how would you rate it?

If you do not see the word you would have used in the options feel free to comment!

[houzz=
Custom Luxury Kitchens · More Info

Thanks everyone!
1 - Amazing!
2 - OK..
3 - Simple

Comments (208)

• midmodfan
    10 years ago
    I appreciate the workmanship, but not the style. If I had to say it in one word: suffocating.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked midmodfan
  • PRO
    Gretchen
    10 years ago
    Dungeon-like. No window (that we can see), upper line of cabinets goes up and down and reverberates the busy floor pattern, gold accents are dated and looks like owner is trying too hard to look rich.

It has too many "different" elements which makes it look busy and overwhelming; diff. finishes (dark wood, burnished dark metal hood with gold, floor material, counter material), too many different colors and busy pattern in floor, too many different shapes (heavy, turned legs, geometric and overbearing hood, rectangle shapes in floor, beams in ceiling).

It reminds me of a living room that has no focal point. Or a woman wearing every piece of jewelry she owns. (Coco Chanel said, "Accessorize and then take one piece off.)

Dark, heavy, traditional is not my style, but one can design a kitchen in this style and make it look less dark, dungeon-y, overburdened and overwrought.

I feel like it's in a basement--no window, the ceiling beams bring the ceiling down, the busy floor brings the floor up. If I were to come into this kitchen for breakfast, I'd go back to bed.

Ten years ago I would have made the same comments. Now it looks more like a 10 year old Middle Ages movie set. All you need is a suit of armor and a torture rack.

But other than that, it's fine. ;-)
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Gretchen
  • Related Discussions

One word: Cabinets!!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Gorgeous: what wonderful grain in that wood -- up against the brick wall . . . fabulous contrast (gorgeous, fabulous, wonderful . . . I think I like them!). One word of caution -- make sure that your dog always has on a colored collar, or else he/she will be a chameleon! He matches the cabs!
    ...See More

Part 2 Game! Change one word to make a new sentence

Q

Comments (60)
    The mother-in-law was not invited to the dinner.
    ...See More

Words, Words, Words...

Q

Comments (49)
    Wood - Glad you are enjoying the wonderful "Child/Forest" book. My library has the prettiest edition of this, and I donated the other two in the trilogy, but have a strong feeling they went into the FoL book sale instead of on the shelves which I had intended to make up the trilogy for other people. As for the adding of the "-ie" sound to words in English, that is quite common even now. "Brekkies" - breakfast "Sarnies" - sandwiches "Prezzies" - presents/gifts Also, there used to be a penchant for reducing some names to "-az" such as: Sharon --> Shaz or Shazzer Barry --> Baz or Bazzer Des --> Dezzie This might just be my group of friends though... We had a mixed bunch (social class speaking) and I think this shortening was a lower class trend... I could be mistaken as it may vary in other regions...
    ...See More

What words describe photo dining set to find new similiar one

Q

Comments (8)
    If searching for that color online in new, especially with the less expensive furniture, search for parawood (or rubberwood) which is often that exact color. (If used, they probably won't mention it in the ad of course.) Birch used to come in that color too--maybe it still does?--so that's what I'd look for if looking for something more "upscale" than parawood in that shade. (I actually love parawood as a good-looking hard-working surface when the stain is right.)
    ...See More
  • marthg35
    10 years ago
    too much! that is my thought. you don't have to match your granite and walls. that is the first thing i would change, walls then ceiling.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked marthg35
  • PRO
    Lockman Renovations LLC
    10 years ago
    love the floor.. love the vaulted ceiling with the beams. I really love that hood vent above the stove. Yet I think the cabinetry is way too ornate for my tastes. This is a case of just having way too much going on .. A simpler cabinet would have made this a home run in my opinion.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Lockman Renovations LLC
  • marsha229
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous! I love it and I am not a grandma! Ha! Ha! to the person who said grandma would love it. However, I do like some light in a kitchen The addition of a window would help.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked marsha229
  • olldcan
    10 years ago
    Sorry, i think it's awful.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked olldcan
  • paradisecastle
    10 years ago
    I'll take it! Hubby, I won't complain! Promise!
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked paradisecastle
  • juniperjo
    10 years ago
    @diyher, I'm not under 35 and I can't stand this kitchen. You'd have to pay ME to live in a house with that kitchen.

It's certainly impressive, and I'm sure it's well built and that everything is top quality, but it's totally not my style, nor one I could ever imagining working with.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked juniperjo
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    @diyher: I too am not under 35. I'm not even under 50, and I am a huge fan of wood, wood trim, antique wood, and historical preservation (i.e. not painting everything white). And I still dislike this kitchen for all the reasons already expressed by others.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked feeny
  • mckell6
    10 years ago
    I truly love, love, love this kitchen.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked mckell6
  • goforluca
    10 years ago
    I'm sure someone put a great deal of work into this design but for me, it only makes me claustrophobic.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked goforluca
  • PRO
    Dalia Tole
    10 years ago
    Vince, I am just a humble homeowner, here is what I think. If the cabinets were aligned at the top, the vent hood was different, the faucet was not chrome, giant fridge was built in, and other finishes were harmonized, this would be a much nicer kitchen. Even replace the orange flowers with yellow or white. Still over the top tuscan, but more palatable. Amazing carpenter and painter you got there!
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Dalia Tole
  • urbankiwi
    10 years ago
    If this kitchen is in a castle, that will work. But I won't do this in my own house.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked urbankiwi
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    dark and dated
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Brenda
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    Traditional and Classic!
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Momof5x
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    for those of you that think this kitchen is "dated" do you have an endless flow of money to every 8-10 years totally redo everything in your house according to what designers say we should be doing? I think people need to get a grip
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked diyher
  • mmers
    10 years ago
    Diyher, totally agree with you. Most of us have to live with what we chose at some point in our lives, good or bad. And I'd love to see what some of these people who are so critical have! (BTW, this style is not my style in the least but who am I to criticize what someone probably loves?).
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked mmers
  • richman667
    10 years ago
    First beautiful space! My pet peeve is uneven tops of cabinets. I am 6'4 so I prefer tall cabinets to the ceiling! Great work! Love the small details.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked richman667
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    10 years ago
    "Dated" is only a negative until it comes back into vogue... then it's "cutting edge & fresh" all over again. lol
    I guess that means I've been in the business too long.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Select Hardwood Floor Co.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Richman!! I like your username!

Vince Fratantoni
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    it is a little over the top for what I have the money to do lol, but the color scheme I like as far as cabinets, wall etc and some of the corner areas of the base cabinets, but the top of the cabinets is a bit too ornate for me, but still classic. I've been in my current house 19 years, a new build. Took me 3 years to finally go from builders white to start painting rooms how I would like. This is the 2nd time I painted my kitchen in 19 years, but it's because I wanted a change, not because I thought I had to because of "what is up to date" Also 2nd time I painted the family room, living and dining room, but other than that, no major changes besides us doing our own wainscoting in a lot of our 1st floor and upstairs hallway.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked diyher
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @diyher

I love your story. I think you have a great sense of what you want. I like how you kept to what works for you and did not necessarily change your home to fit into trends. If you saw at least one thing you thought was interesting or different in this kitchen that you liked than I am grateful. That is what makes it all worth it for me!

Vince Fratantoni
  • Nancy Mykleseth
    10 years ago
    Italian restaurant- Macaroni Grill or perhaps Cheese Cake Factory...
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Nancy Mykleseth
  • Kris G
    10 years ago
    Overdone. Perhaps what bothers me the most are the stools which have me looking for flocked wallpaper and the flooring which seems too patchwork and choppy. It is all a matter of personal style though which is why I love this site.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Kris G
  • ikisfree
    10 years ago
    Too fussy. Detailing is great, but there's too much of it and it's not the right kind here.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked ikisfree
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    10 years ago
    If you're thinking about changing things up, we love kitchen makeovers! It's important to install high quality cabinets that are going to last but NOBODY wants to spend an arm and a leg on something like kitchen cabinets do they? For anyone considering new cabinets, Cabinets To Go is definitely worth checking out--we do bathroom vanities too :) http://www.cabinetstogo.com/
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Cabinets To Go
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Why don't you read the posts before you post your ads? :(
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked mefor
  • PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    10 years ago
    It seems the general consensus in this thread is "a good idea, but a bit too much". It speaks "luxury" and "opulence", but it's somewhat heavy on the dark colors and ornamentation.

Simplifying a couple of design aspects (flooring, cabinetry, mouldings) would go a long way toward making this design more appealing to more people.

“True ornament is not a matter of prettifying externals. It is organic with the structure it adorns, whether a person, a building, or a park.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

That having been said, the attention to detail is stunning - not many people will go as far as putting Venetian Stucco on the ceiling, and carved wood island supports.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    ahhh just give me the kitchen and I'll look after it hehe, I love it. My new one is milky white but I like the classic looks. I see this kitchen above as something that will last for a very long time.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Momof5x
  • judithramos80
    10 years ago
    Overdone. Unpractical
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked judithramos80
  • janjax
    10 years ago
    soulless - for looking at (by someone with only mediocre taste IMO) not for living in - cold, stark and nothing to do with the concept of "home"
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked janjax
  • Modern Chic
    10 years ago
    The dark, rich finishes and heavy ornate qualities would lend themselves better to a high end bar room for entertaining. But as a custom cabinet designer, I respect the qualities and details of this kitchen. Takes a lot of talent, details and money to pull this off. And they did with success. Well done if this is what the client requests.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Modern Chic
  • connie minton
    10 years ago
    I like clean simple lines and practicality, this is too rich. In food terms this would be the pavlova or a tiramisu. I like a clean light refreshing sorbet instead.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked connie minton
  • maymag
    10 years ago
    Although the cabinetry is well done, I think it would be more interesting to have a few distresed, painted pieces in the kitchen to make the kitchen lighter. A different island color, for example, could make it look like an antique piece was repurposed.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked maymag
  • Shayna Elliott
    10 years ago
    I don't think ok fits but it is dark. I think a bit less of the same idea would have been better. Don't hit me over the head with a style. Also, the ceiling detail is amazing then completely lost by the dark color. Love the hood.
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Shayna Elliott
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Vince, when it's time to turn this house over, and the prospective owners can't tolerate the style, maybe they will give you the contract for the reno. If they do, I recommend this approach, which will add to the value of the house going forward:
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked sstarr93
  • PRO
    Photo Captures by Jeffery
    10 years ago
    Yeah I agree it is on the heavy side and a bit confused by the flooring
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling thanked Photo Captures by Jeffery
  • clare_v
    10 years ago
    This is an amazing kitchen!!!
  • To Chavers
    10 years ago
    Wow! some harsh words for a stunning kitchen! It may not be my perfect kitchen, either, but I can appreciate its beauty. I love to cook and bake and I wouldn't worry about all the nooks and crannies to collect flour and what-not. I have a vacuum and wash rags for that. My one criticism would be the size of the island. It looks like it would be difficult to reach the whole surface to clean. I think the finishes are lovely.
  • T. Z.
    10 years ago
    I can appreciate the workmanship and design of the kitchen. Not my dream room but it would be fun to spend a couple days making meals here. It would definitely be more fun than work. :)
  • bjowen
    10 years ago
    one word? ostentatious!
  • bowlly
    10 years ago
    dark
  • abigailthecat
    10 years ago
    dark and dated
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

I admire the beautiful wood and the excellent craftsmanship. It's way too big and opulent for my taste, but I'd take it over the ubiquitous cold white/gray/ stainless kitchens any day.

• netshoppr
    8 years ago

Is this Queen Elizabeth's kitchen?

• Sara Harvey
    8 years ago

Dark

• jazzlvr
    8 years ago

Too busy and too dark for my taste.

• Xty G (z4)
    8 years ago

Busy, dark, heavy

• PRO
    The Joshua Tree Vanities
    7 years ago

Woody! :)

• PRO
    Anonymous
    7 years ago

One word comes to mind, thereisbeautyinallthingsbutnotexactlymycupoftea!

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer