SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candipoox

Spider Mite Killer: Vegetable oil (Soybean oil) from kitchen

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've finally found something that works!

I read an article a month or so ago about how soybean oil (the sole ingredient in most vegetable cooking oil) is toxic to spider mites. So I made a mix in a small/medium spray bottle.

Ingredients: water, a very small amount of the oil (I didn't measure. I'm guessing 1 tsp), and a small amount of peppermint castille soap. Shake it up and spray top and underside of leaves.

It worked! I had lots of tiny red mites. The next morning, all were black and dead.

Warning: the oil can leave a residue. I suggest washing it off with water and castille soap the next morning. I wouldn't allow it to be in direct sun either. The oil can smother the leaves. I havent found the best/easiest method of washing yet, since I don't have access to a hose on my patio.

It killed all of the mites the first time and didn't see them for a week or two. Ofcourse they lay eggs, so you have to treat several times and be diligent.

This is the first time all summer that I haven't seen mites on my plants. I will continue to check every so many days and treat any new outbreaks.

I've used this for a few weeks now and it has not harmed my plants. However, If you don't wash them off, you will have some yellowing and dropping of a few leaves (especially in full sun. I keep mine in partial sun). I didn't wash a couple of times and had this happen. There was no major damage though. My plants are looking great.

Soybean oil, unlike Neem, doesn't have a strong smell, is super cheap, and in most people's kitchens!

Try this out and let me know your experiences!

Comments (2)