SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Grilled (smoked) Brussels Sprouts

Yesterday we grilled some salmon that we got at the farmers' market (this time in Playa Vista), and I also decided to grill the Brussels sprouts that I got there, along with some mushrooms that I already had on hand. To grill the Brussels sprouts, I first cut an "X" in the base and then soaked them in very salty water for a couple of hours. Then I dried them off with a towel and tossed them in a bowl with some olive oil to coat them. We have some grill pans that enclose the food, and so I put them in one of those, to make them easier to turn. Kevin grilled them at about 325-350° for about 12 minutes on the first side and then 10 minutes on the second side, or until they started to get a bit brown. I stored them in a bowl to reheat later, and this worked out to be a very good idea, as they were a bit dry, and so I added water to the bowl to steam them in the MW. They came out really good this way and stayed hot for the entire meal. I didn't care if the salmon and mushrooms got cold because I like them cold - in fact I often use the marinated grilled mushrooms in salads - always cold. I had Kevin keep the heat down so that we would get more smoke flavor, but the Brussels sprouts actually had more smoke flavor than the salmon. I had him cook the salmon skin side up for most of the cooking time and then just for a few minutes skin side down to get the skin crisp. To me, the skin tasted good, but Kevin would not eat it. I love this time of year because of the availability of the salmon, and this salmon was from Canada.

Anyway, I wanted to share this tip about grilling Brussels sprouts, as they came out better than the ones I've made before, and I think they are in season now also. I'm on a low-carb diet right now, and so we did not make grilled garlic toast (which I love) or potatoes or rice. I did make tartar sauce, and I'm not really sure if that is on my diet or not, and so I made it anyway using cucumbers that I had fermented a week before. I like the tartar sauce much better with the pickles that I make myself.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Threshold Design and Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Design + Build Services in Mecklenburg County, VA