SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19982892

Brussel Sprouts

User
12 years ago

Both Clive and I have bad memories of this veggie growing up....very bad memories.

Having said that I see them so often in cooking mags, on restaurant menus and they abound in the grocery store.

Fresh veggies are so limited this time of year I get myself into a rut. So I'm in search of a Brussel sprout recipe that won't remind me of the bitter veg Nana served.

Comments (23)

• pfmastin
    12 years ago

We do like brussels sprouts at our house and tried this recipe for Thanksgiving. We loved it. It's touted as a brussels sprouts recipe for people who don't think they like brussels sprouts. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Shredded Brussels Sprouts

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

We love them roasted, along with carrots, onions etc.
    Here's another way:

Carrots and Brussels Sprouts

2 tbsp chopped shallot
    3 tbsp unsalted butter
    1 lb carrots, sliced diagonally 1/2" thick
    1 lb brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
    1/3 cup water
    1 tbsp cider vinegar

Cook shallot in 2 tbsp butter in 12" heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened; 1-2 minutes.

Add carrots and brussels sprouts, salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to brown, 3-4 minutes.

Add water and cover skillet; cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender, 5-8 minutes. Stir in vinegar and remaining tbsp butter and salt and pepper to taste.

• Related Discussions

Brussel sprouts starting to put sprouts!!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Im not sure, this is a first year for me on brussel's....Is the leaf stalks still in good shape from you cutting them off? The sprouts grow at the base of the leaf stems, so if there is no place for them to grow that might be a problem. BUT its still early, and theres plenty of time for them to grow new healthy leaves!!!! -cass
    ...See More

my brussel sprouts never brusseled

Q

Comments (15)
    Never heard that one macky. I think they all prefer pretty fertile soil. I think it's all about a timing thing. I've had differently timed successions of broccoli and cauli in the same plot turn out different sized heads. I can plant them from Aug-Feb, but I notice the closer I get to the winter solstice to planting, the smaller the head. Which makes sense because the amount of sunlight. I also notice that my winter harvests(when planted in late/summer/early fall) are a bit better than my early summer summer harvests. With my Brussels, I get big plants and I get sprouts. They're just always loose leaf sprouts. I read last year that July is supposed to be optimum for them here, so I'll give it one more shot I don't know how that's supposed to work out though -- our summers don't really get going until late july. Kevin
    ...See More

Aphids (?) on the sprouts of my Brussel Sprouts.

Q

Comments (3)
    a sharp stream of water will dislodge them and often that's enough if you repeat it every couple days until you stop seeing them. Insecticidal soaps are another option, but it must be sprayed directly on the aphids to kill them. It is non toxic to you or pets, but should not be sprayed on any insect you don't want dead or injured. Neem oil is another option and offers a week or two of residual control. It is non toxic to you or pets and generally won't kill anything that doesn't eat the plant material (but the plant material is safe for anything that isn't an insect).
    ...See More

brussel sprout blooms but no sprouts...

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm not sure about the timing of your planting. Cold temperatures strongly induce flowering in these plants. I'm not even sure that removal of the flower stalk could have prevented this process. Once this plant flowers heavily and goes to seed, it will no longer devote energy to bud (sprout) development. Seems like these plants should be planted in the late summer for fall harvest or in the early spring for summer harvest. Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More
  • ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

My favorite way to cook Brussels sprouts is to steam the individual leaves, the way my mom used to do. DD used to call them "football sprouts" because we'd do the prep work while we were watching a Sunday afternoon football game.

I cut a slice off the bottom end of a sprout with a paring knife, remove a few leaves, take off another thin slice and remove more leaves, repeating the procedure until no more leaves can be removed and a small rounded core is left, which I discard.

I do the same for each of the sprouts. Then I rinse them and put in a microwaveable glass dish with some water drops still clinging to them but no additional water.

I cover the dish and microwave them on high for about 2 1/2 minutes; uncover and stir them, and then cover and cook another 2 - 3 minutes or until done but not mushy. I drain them and drizzle with a little browned butter or olive oil, S & P.

It seems like a lot of work but you will never taste such a delicately flavored batch of Brussels sprouts.

• caliloo
    12 years ago

These tow recipes are T&T at my house and absolutely DELICIOUS! Even the picky veggie hater will eat them when prepared in the following manner:

Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings
    1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 ounces paper-thin slices pancetta, coarsely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth

Partially cook the Brussels sprouts in a large pot of boiling salted water, about 4 minutes. Drain.
    Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until beginning to crisp, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until pale golden, about 2 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts to the same skillet and saute until heated through and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the broth and simmer until the broth reduces just enough to coat the Brussels sprouts, about 3 minutes. Serve.

Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts

This unbelievably simple side dish counters the slight bitterness of brussels sprouts with a sweet maple-syrup pan sauce.

Ingredients
    1/4 cup canola oil
    2 1/4 pounds baby brussels sprouts or regular brussels sprouts that are halved lengthwise
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons and softened
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    1/4 cup Grade A pure maple syrup
    1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 cup vacuum-packed roasted chestnuts, coarsely chopped (6 ounces)
    1 tablespoon walnut oil

Directions
    1.Heat the canola oil in a very large skillet until shimmering. Add the brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper, then cook over high heat without stirring until they are browned, about 2 minutes. Add the unsalted butter and brown sugar and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the brown sugar is melted. Add the maple syrup and cook, stirring occasionally, until the brussels sprouts are just crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in the cider vinegar. Add the chestnuts and walnut oil and cook until hot.
    2.Using a slotted spoon, transfer the brussels sprouts and chestnuts to a bowl. Boil the cooking liquid over high heat until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Pour the sauce over the brussels sprouts and serve.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    12 years ago

I like to pare small fresh ones, put an "x" in the bottom stem - boil in salted water until crisp tender. While still warm, cut in half and toss with a lemon-y vinaigrette - plenty of fresh cracked black pepper. These are good hot, room temp or cold. Good on a skewer with a bloody Mary - I kid you not.

seagrass

• bbstx
    12 years ago

I made these for Thanksgiving and they were well received by all.

Tom Colicchio Braised Brussels Sprouts

10 ounces Brussels sprouts
    1 onion, sliced
    Kosher salt
    1/4 pound slab bacon, cubed
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
    Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove any torn or discolored outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts. Trim the bases and cut the sprouts in half.
    Render the bacon over medium heat in a medium skillet for about 5 minutes. Add onion, cook 2-3 more minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook until slightly browned. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add thyme, salt and pepper.
    Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes. Mix gently and serve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Colicchio Brussels Sprouts

• Islay_Corbel
    12 years ago

Take the plunge and just boil them but do it right hahaha. We have then at xmas with chestnuts. I love leftovers fried in butter.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

One way I prepare Brussel Sprouts is steam until done and drain well. Back in the pan, add butter & chopped walnuts and a little maple syrup (not to much). They are sweet and certainly not bitter that way.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

This is my favorite recipe for Brussel sprouts.
    Brussel Sprout Hash

• jojoco
    12 years ago

Mine is very simple and makes converts out of many.
    Cut brussel sprouts in half lengthwise and remove the loose leaves that are falling off. Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange cut side down on baking tray and bake for about 30 min at 350, or less at a higher temp. They end up crisp on the bottom.

Jo

• ovenbird
    12 years ago

This recipe is a favorite, even for folks who do not like them. I'd like to give credit, but I'm not sure where my sister got this recipe from.

BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH PROSCIUTTO AND LEEKS
    16 servings

4 lbs Brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed, halved lengthwise
    10 Tbs unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
    3 med. Leeks (white and pale green parts only), cut into 1/4 inch pieces
    6 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, cut julienne
    salt and pepper

Cook Brussels sprouts in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Refresh under cold water and drain again. (Can be prepared one day ahead. Wrap in kitchen towel and then plastic bag; refrigerate.)

Melt butter in heavy large deep skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts and saute 5 minutes. Add prosciutto and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to platter and serve.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

I like mine roasted with lots of balsamic

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

I prefer brussels sprouts to be simply prepared. Trimmed, cut in half or cored and lightly steamed until just past crisp and still a bright, pretty green. They get stinky when overcooked. Add butter, sea salt, and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg to serve..

• Teresa_MN
    12 years ago

Alexa - funny you should post that recipe. That's what I am eating right now. Our cafeteria at work makes them that way and they are fantastic! I had them everyday last week.

Something I had never tried before is the stalk. One of my friends introduced me to it last summer. She brushes the stalk with olive oil, wraps it in foil and grills it on low heat. It is milder than the sprouts and delicious! It tastes like a cross between sprouts and broccoli.

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

As others have said, I'd try 'em roasted. They're really, reeeally good. I just coat in oil and salt, and I've done them at all different temperatures depending on what else is in the oven- the only thing that matters is that they should be noticeably very brown on at least two sides before you pull them out. It will take about half an hour in a 450 oven. They will look burnt, but won't taste it. Make sure your vent is uncovered (usually the back right burner), especially if cooking with something else, because if the moisture gets trapped, they won't brown as well.

• TobyT
    12 years ago

And our favourite is:
    Slice in half through the stem, brown slowly cut-side down in olive oil/butter (to which I often add a couple of smashed garlic cloves.) When cut side is brown, add a couple of tbsp of liquid (water, wine, broth) cover and steam for just a couple of minutes. Uncover, let the liquid cook off and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
    Jane

• anoriginal
    12 years ago

When I was a kid, "old" neighbor (probably not that much older than my parents since their daughter baby sat us) made fried cabbage. Strips of bacon fried till crispy and removed from pan. Then cabbage (and onions for me) into same pan with the bacon grease and brown stuck on bits... cast iron, of course. When cabbage was soft, bacon was crumbled over and a splash of vinegar. Thinking this would be great for brussel sprouts... mini-cabbages... "martian heads" is what I told niece and nephew!

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

I've been a brussels sprouts hater most of my life. A couple of years ago I decided to try them again because DH loves them. I eat them now. Still not my favorite veggie but I can eat them. Roasted is good. I like the brussels sprouts and carrot recipe posted above (I think it's from the Epicurious website). I also like mustard and honey braised brussels sprouts. Nice flavor combo. The recipe I use is in Janet Hazen's "Hot!" cookbook. There are similar ones online.

• momto4kids
    12 years ago

I usually make them the way jojoco does, except I soak them in water for about 30 min to an hour. I heard that helps cut way down on the bitterness. I don't know if it's necessary, as I haven't made them without soaking. Sometimes I blanch them before roasting (less time in the oven). I like to add balsamic on mine. Everyone else likes bacon and lemon juice.

• sunshines
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, I do not like Brussel Sprouts.

• John Liu
    12 years ago

Brussel sprouts get bitter if they are over cooked - typically if they are boiled until gray.

I cook them two ways.

1. Blanch then saut�. Cut sprouts in half, discard outer leaves if yucky. Drop in salted boiling water just long enough to blanch (30 sec). Remove, drain, saut� in butter w/ whatever sounds yummy - minced garlic, shallots, chopped nuts, etc. High heat, get the outer leaves crisp and browned.

2. Roast. Cut sprouts in half, drizzle w/ plenty of oil and salt, roast 400 F until outer leaves are browned.

In both methods,you can cheat with a teeny bit of sugar, if you're afraid of bitterness.

• sally2_gw
    12 years ago

I made some recently that were very good, but I don't remember everything I did. What I do remember is that I cut an x in their little bottoms, then blanched them for a few minutes. I drained them, then sauteed them with mushrooms in butter. What I don't entirely remember is what else I added. I'm sure I added garlic and squeezed some lemon juice on towards the end of cooking. I probably added some parsley. Wish I could be more helpful with this, but it was one of those throw things together and see what happens sort of dishes. If you like mushrooms, though, I discovered they're good friends with brussels sprouts. Oh, and I love them roasted, too.

Sally

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

So Chase, did you bite the bullet and try them again? :)