SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diane_jessica

stargazer lily bulbs at dollar general store

At my local Dollar General store today, I noticed they have Stargazer Lily bulbs CHEAP. Let me preface by saying, I have never planted a bulb in my life, but having a huge yen for flowers in my front bed. One reason I did not grab them is the small bag did not contain individual firm bulbs like the Glads did, rather broken up lots of brown pieces. So here I am wondering if that's how the bulbs come? IF that's how, I don't know how to store them until planting. I looked up Stargazers and it said they can take part shade. My front beds facing southwest is shaded by large, old pecan trees. Pretty shady/dappled. They also had many gladiola bulbs which were firm individual goldenish bulbs. However looking up Gladiolas it seems they need full sun. At the cheap prices, I don't mind chancing some things. Important to me: How does one tell a good flower bulb from a bad one? Am thinking of taking a ride to a Walmart - Lowes out of my small rural town... Don't know if I'm too late for trying to find daffodils, for instance. I'm thinking my pecan trees will shed their leaves in winter, and perhaps I could get by planting flower bulbs that would bloom til the leaves come back on pecan trees in April... hmmm I'm probably talking silly to all of you who are experienced gardeners. I have little spendable income being on small pension, so have to look for best for the buck.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting