SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_boisvert

Please help me arrange my living/dining area!!!

I need help. I have no design savvy and my living/dining room combo is driving me crazy. I have rearranged the furniture over and over again but it never feels right. A few notes:

I need to squeeze a LOT of functions into this space, but I am convinced it is possible, even though it’s small. Here’s what we need:

- comfy seating for 6

- good tv viewing for 4

- storage for and a place to play games and puzzles

- room for a piano and music stand

- storage and a play area for toys

- bookshelves including a home for rotating library materials

- a place for music, CD player, record player, and storage for cds and records

- mail sorting station

- small home office space for laptop, bill paying, coorespondence

- dining area seating 4, but able to seat 6

- storage for lots of kids craft supplies

- crafting station separate from the dining table

- place for school papers and doing homework

We have to make do with a mismatched selection of ikea and Craigslist furniture for now, but I really want to make the most of it. I can spend a few hundred, and I can potentially trade out some of the pieces for “new” thrift or ikea type pieces. I also want to have an “ideal” arrangement in mind for the future when I can acquire some new pieces.

This is the living room arrangement we’ve been using:

It works ok but I still don’t feel like it’s “right.” It looks like a closed living room in an open space, and the flow from the entrance is odd.

We have never figured out the dining room and don’t have appropriate furniture in it since we can’t decide on an arrangement. Sorry about the junk everywhere. I’m in reorganization mode and moving Everything around.

Heres a very rough drawing of the floor plan:

I’m sans kids for a few hours and plan to spend it moving things around and planning. Any help and ideas greatly appreciated! Many more design dilemmas to come as we try to make this horrid split entry a home!

Comments (14)