SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_townsend

Any guess as to how much life left?

Mary Townsend
5 years ago

We bought a house 5 years ago. The house (original) was built in 1966 with a major extension in 1983. We have no idea how old the HVAC system is. When the HVAC person came out for the bi-yearly checkup he said that this would be the last time we could use this refrigerant in this unit because it won't be allowed in the future. We believe (no exact evidence here) that the cooling unit is between 10 and 15 years old. We've had the capacitor replaced since we bought the house and we have had refrigerant added every 1-2 years, I think.

The unit has been struggling to cool the house down in the evening over the last few days with this Texas heatwave. We have it set at 78 for the day and 72 to sleep with a couple of step downs in the evening. Yesterday we tried to hold at 72 and see if keeping the temp down would make a difference. It could not do it at 72 but it did sustain 74 throughout the day. The ducts run through an unconditioned attic (we have nowhere else to run them).

We are trying to figure out how fast we will need to save up for a new unit. The ducting is a mess and rooms are not uniformly cooled so we are expecting to re-duct the place at the same time. I realize that a unit can fail at any time but I was looking for some sort of gut feel for how long we have to save up for another system.

Any ideas about how long?

Also, we are proactively getting quotes for the work now. Are there any things we should be looking for in the quotes or the companies to tell us what is a good deal? (we have a 2200 sq ft home, windows were all replaced with low-e in the last few years, but the insulation is variable across the house. We don't want to foam the attic because that would make maintaining the electrical a nightmare. We aren't sure if foaming the walls alone would make a difference either)

Thanks in advance

Mary

Comments (14)