SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rose_peck31

Blank slate wood chip rectangle - looking for design ideas!

Rose Peck
5 years ago

We moved into a new house this fall, and went from a very green back yard full of plants and garden beds, to an odd-shaped backyard that is about half deck, half wood chip. The wood chip section sticks out to the left of the rest of our property, and isn't very visible from the windows inside, but I'd like to beautify it a bit, and add some shade-creating elements. It is 15' x 25', and these are the aspects I want to include: a trampoline for the kids, a small tree for shade (needs to not grown too high because of power lines), a compost bin, and leave some bark area for our dog's "bathroom." The front yard and beds around the deck are plumbed for automatic sprinklers, but I'd like to avoid having to extend that system, so drought-tolerant plantings are a must. There is fence around the North, West, and South sides of the rectangle, and the East side is the part that connects to the edge of the deck (15' long). We are in Eugene, Oregon, with wet, generally mild winters, and dry summers that seem to be hotter every year. Please suggest any specific trees or plants that would do well, layout ideas, or sources for design help. Thanks!

Comments (6)