SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnstrider

Please improve my tiny kitchen design!

lynnstrider
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have a split-level home, and on the lower level is an office, a guestroom, and a rec room area with a dark and claustrophobic bar. We want to turn the bar into a bright, open, small-but-useful kitchenette for guests. The space is 96” along the back wall, 95” along the side/exterior wall. Ceiling height is only 84” in the kitchenette area, due to plumbing above.

A rendering below shows my tentative plan for the space. We’re doing this mostly ourselves, on a tight budget. Can you give me any advice, and especially about these 4 issues?

1) Sink placement: We'll have a TV where you see the framed picture in the rendering, and it will be mounted to swing toward the room; this is the only possible TV spot in the rec room. Having an overhanging, swiveling TV seems dangerous for banging one’s head if the sink is below it, so I've planned the sink closer to the window near the far corner. If we use a blind corner cabinet along the back wall, and a 24” sink base cabinet next to it under the window, a small sink would fit with a view out the window. (The window is located 12.5-49” along the exterior wall; so, adjacent to the blind corner cabinet, the 24” sink base cabinet will be underneath the right half of the window.) Is that OK, or is there a better spot for the sink?

2) Wall cabinets & awkward corner: The window molding is only 12.5” from the back wall, so if we had wall cabinets along the entire back wall, and if the wall cabinet was 12” deep with 1” for doors, then the cabinet would overlap the window molding. We’d need some sort of space at the corner. In order to avoid looking claustrophobic, I was thinking of stopping the cabinets about 12” away from the exterior wall, and having 12”x12” shelves in the corner (3 shelves shown in the rendering below). Any better thoughts of how to handle that awkward corner?

3) Cabinet depth over fridge: We need as much storage as possible, but I think a 24” deep over-fridge cabinet would look weird in such a small space, since it’ll be twice the depth of the 2 neighboring cabinets. Would using a 12”deep bridge cabinet over the fridge look better, because it would give us uniform depth with the other cabinets, even though it'd be harder to reach?

4) Cabinet height / crown molding: In this kitchenette nook, the ceiling is only 84” high. Should we plan to install the wall cabinets at the ceiling height, or down a few inches with a slim crown molding on top? 84” ceilings minus 30” wall cabinets minus 36” base cabinets/granite leaves 18”. Should we keep the full 18” space between base and wall cabinets, or take 2” for molding at the top?

Thank you so much for reading. Any advice is appreciated!

In case it helps to see the real space (in the beginning stages of renovation):

Comments (11)