SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daveandcarey

garage size question-

daveandcarey
5 years ago

We are tearing down our current 20x20 garage that is on a cracked slab and in poor condition. We are debating size of the new garage. We had plans for 28x30 drawn up several years ago but now I own a MGB that needs to be stored in the winter. (The idea is put it on casters and push it horizontally towards the back wall for the winter months). We are going with 2- 9x9 doors, need to accommodate a midsize SUV with Thule rack and a full size (short bed) pick up truck. In the summer the SUV and MGB would be parked in the front spaces.

I have been thinking that maybe we should go 30x32- just a little bit bigger to make sure everything fits. I know we are losing 16" off each side with frost walls. We are using attic trusses- so no pole to worry about banging into. The current plan has a L shaped stairwell in the back right corner to the upstairs storage room.

When ever we mention size, everyone first reaction is, so you are building a BIG garage. Is it really though? We need room for a work bench, fridge, lawnmower, snowblower all year long. Kids bikes and other seasonal toys can go in-between up stairs for winter storage to downstairs when needed. Everyone keeps saying that you will fill it up no matter what size you build. While our budget is getting very tight, this is the only garage I am ever going to build and the last thing I want to do is say I wish it was slightly bigger. FYI- we cannot do 3 bays wide due to lot restrictions.

So is 28x30 enough to fit 3 vehicles in during the winter? 30x32? Or could we go smaller and still be fine. TIA.

Comments (3)