SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

So easy Sooo good lemon ice cream

mamapinky0
5 years ago

No churn.
1 Tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4cup freshly squeezed lemon juice from about 2 lemons.
1cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon table salt
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
Whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and salt.
In seperate bowl whisk cream and milk just until incorporated together.
Slowly whisk cream mixture into lemon mixture until you no longer hear or feel the sugar against the bowl about 2 minutes.
Pour into a 8 inch metal baking pan, cover tightly with foil and put in freezer... after a couple hours the edges should be froze firm and the middle mushy. Stir it up recover and put back in freezer until frozen about an hour. Enjoy.
This stuff is soooo good.
My grands each had a friend over to grill hot dogs today. This is what they requested for dessert.

Comments (69)

• sooz
    5 years ago

If I make this today for tomorrow, will it come out creamy tomorrow or will it come out firm? Thanks!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sooz it will be hard set tomorrow but a heated ice cream scoop makes easy work and it softens quickly and is still smooth. So after scooping tomorrow let it sit only a few minutes and it will be softer set.

• Related Discussions

Easy good recipe for extra lemons

Q

Comments (1)
    What is an extra lemon? LOL Not sure what I would do with a jar full of lemon slush. If that's the way you normally use lemons then it makes more sense. I harvest mine over time, and never bring in more than I can use for a given recipe. My Meyer Lemons hold very well on the tree. Today I brought in a bunch of lemons and started a batch of Limoncello and squeezed some juice for lemon ice cubes. Note: This is my first time making Limoncello and have veered ever so sightly from Giada's recipe. I'm using Everclear instead of vodka, will steep the zest for a month, and will cut way down on the sugar as well.
    ...See More

Heavy Cream, Light Cream, Ice Cream

Q

Comments (7)
    Since light cream can be up to 30% fat, I would use 2/3 cream and 1/3 milk. Actually, if I were making it myself, I would decrease the milk even more, since milk upsets me more than cream. I made strawberry ice cream Tuesday using a recipe that called for light cream, and I substituted all heavy cream. I took some to work because I can't eat all of it, and I thought DB didn't want it, but then after he had some yesterday, he decided it was very good. For myself, the most milk I would put it would be about 1/8 portion. I haven't noticed a problem with using all heavy cream, except that it did get very fluffy and I was afraid it would going to climb out of my ice cream machine, and so I ate little bits of it as it was going along. The worst thing that will happen is you will have excess volume, and you might want to make sure your ice cream maker will handle it. Everyone at work loved it. Lars
    ...See More

VERY easy Ice cream for machine

Q

Comments (1)
    We like this one. We feel less guilty eating this, and it tastes good! I've also made it with Splenda. Vanilla Ice Milk Ingredients 1/2 cup sugar 2 1/2 tablespoons fat-free, sugar-free vanilla instant pudding mix 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated fat-free milk 1/2 cup egg substitute 2 teaspoons vanilla extract Preparation 1. Combine sugar and pudding mix in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in milk and remaining ingredients. 2. Pour milk mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
    ...See More

No Churn Lemon Ice Cream

Q

Comments (7)
    Yes, the week that Mamapinky posted it and got me interested it was also printed in the Parade Magazine in our Sunday paper. I think next time I will try making it with whipping cream instead of heavy cream to reduce the fat a tad for better texture.
    ...See More
  • sooz
    5 years ago

Thanks for the info and the quick reply!

Smiles,

Sooz

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

My favorite ice cream is lemon, and I just can't find it these days. Thanks for the recipe. Next batch of lemons from my sister's tree will be put to good use.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Mamapinky, you're an angel : ) Ever since seeing Annie's ice cream post a while back I've wanted to make home-made, but don't have an ice cream maker now. The thought of lemon ice cream just sounded so good, and yours did not disappoint! I said this was a keeper before it was frozen, but now that I've tried it as it should be eaten (ha ha!), it's not only a keeper, but would be fantastic to serve to friends for a hot summer grill. It was that good - for company : ) DH and I licked our bowls clean last night - he loved it too! And I admit, when I said lemon ice cream, he was a bit leery!

The lemon and sweetness together are perfect, and though it's ice cream, did not have a heavy taste. Perfect for summer. I used 2%, and it didn't suffer for that. The ice cream took a full 6 hours for get semi-hard/or soft-serve texture (my fav), but I did remove it 4 times to stir. Thank you for our sweet but refreshing treat last night... and tonight! Oh. And while I prefer it as is, I can see how a few shavings of dark chocolate on top, or candied ginger mixed in would be a nice treat too!

Photos for uploading · More Info
    sooz, sheilajoyce. you're gonna love it!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

2Many Oh I am so glad you enjoyed it. After posting the recipe I smacked myself more than a few times. I ask myself how could you take such a risk as to post a recipe in the cooking forum...these folks are genius when it comes to all things food. Mama you risk being shamed. LOL.. but I knew it was perfection in my mouth and hoped that you all felt or rather tasted the same perfection. I also think it would be great served to friends after a grill. I served mine to my grands in a hollowed out orange shell as they get a kick out of that.

I bet Martha Scott has the perfect summer bowls to serve it in. Lol

Thank you.

• mercurygirl
    5 years ago

I love lemon and I love easy, must try soon! Ginger sounds like a great idea. Thanks, MamaP.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

"I bet Martha Scott has the perfect summer bowls to serve it in." I don't doubt that! But still, in our reno/remodel Styrofoam bowls with plastic spoons it still looked and tasted luxurious : )

Mamapinky, you need not doubt yourself, and you are finding people here are very kind. You've been to Share your hot weather simple recipes : ) thread, and seen some very basic but very delicious recipes : ) What could be more simple than home grown, sliced tomatoes, plain or only one or two basic ingredients? Yet that was a suggestion by more than one person here, far more experienced than myself : )

Simple ingredients, simple methods often result in some of the best flavors... your ice cream in an example : )

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Sounds delicious! A childhood neighbor used to make the simplistic lemon ice cream. She would soften a quart of good vanilla ice cream, take those sugared lemon drop hard candies and crush them with a mallet, and then stir them into the ice cream and re-freeze. It was fabulous and SO easy!

• sooz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Oho, Mommapinky, for today at my house, you are the Goddess of Ice Cream!

2Many, you're so right.... I LOVE IT!

So very easy and delicious!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Smiles,

Sooz

• vicsgirl
    5 years ago

I'll be making it today. I think my local store has meyer lemons in a bag. they are the best tasting lemons!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sooz, beautiful picture. Your lemon ice cream looks really good. It looks expecially delicious in the Candlewick glassware. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Vicsgirl. Your gonna love it.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

sooz, lovely, just lovely! And the zest - loved the little bits of texture it added, didn't you?! Oh, bing cherries, what a wonderful combination! I sighed a bit at your candlewick. Mine's packed, been packed too long. Unpacking it and using it when the kitchen is done!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have quite a bit of Candlewick. My mother left it to me. I pull some out for very special occasions.

I'm going to mess around and try to make strawberry ice cream using the same recipe as the lemon. I did read that for strawberry its best to dehydrate the strawberrys first so the juice doesn't crystallize making ice crystals in the ice cream...however the lemon juice didn't crystallize. I figure it can't be too bad after all its cream sugar and fruit..lol

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

mamapinky, same here with the candlewick, my mom was a collector over a great many years - with my Dad and I adding to her collection, and though DH and I rarely, and I mean rarely, dine formally, I sure would like to pull it out to use every so often. I realize Sundays are usually the nicer dinners for most, but for us it's Fridays as the work-week is over, and we've a weekend of labor ahead, so I figure we both need a nice pick-me-up dinner : ) By Sunday, I'm far too tired usually for a nicer meal.

Please please get back to us on the strawberries with details! I looked that recipe up (it calls for heavy cream, and is not the sweetened condensed milk ice cream recipe I'd tried in the past which is so rich (yours is far better) but I couldn't find anything about adding other berries or flavors to it.

You are our source for a sweet treat so I'm depending on you! (Way to add pressure huh?LOL!)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Just a note for anyone who uses organic sugar: I tried this and it was much too sweet (my own fault). I don't like eating glyphosate, so sugar is one of the few things I now buy local-organic, and the texture is more like Demerara than white sugar. The amounts called for in recipes are always too much when using that, so I cut it down to 3/4 cup, but I should have gone to 1/2.

Otherwise it was great!

• vicsgirl
    5 years ago

I made it two hours ago, it was soft-set after about an hour in the freezer, now 2 hours later I had a taste and it's about perfect! Good lemon flavor, yet creamy and the sweetness is just right. It will be my dessert later tonight. Thanks for posting !

• cooper8828
    5 years ago

I made this last night and it is so easy and good. Unbelievably, there is still some left for tonight.

• aok27502
    5 years ago

We are having an impromptu family gathering tonight. I think I'll whip this up to take along.

• sjerin
    5 years ago

Mama, do you make this in a square or loaf metal baking pan? It sure does sound good!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Doesn't matter which size or shape metal pan as long as it fits.

• sjerin
    5 years ago

Ty, Mama.

• aok27502
    5 years ago

I just whipped this up, doubling the recipe. I had to put it in a Pyrex pan, I guess the metal is so it freezes better. I put it in my chest freezer, then I'll take it to MIL's and put it in her upright freezer till dessert time.

I ignored all the warnings. I tasted it. Uhhh, I might not take it after all. I may keep it for myself.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lol...Aok I know what you mean. It is really really good.

• aok27502
    5 years ago

Reporting back: this was a hit at family dinner. Much enjoyed, and my MIL told me I'm more than welcome to make it again. :)

Thanks, mamapinky!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Aok, Your Welcome. I'm glad your family enjoyed it...its expecially nice when a MIL is pleased. Lol.

I'm so glad when I ran across the recipe I took a second look as I often just glance at most recipes.

• mercurygirl
    5 years ago

I made the ice cream yesterday and we loved it. Sent most with DD to visit with friends, and ate the last few bites for breakfast. I used 1/2 cup sugar and it was just right, and it's definitely worth doubling the recipe. I might try some other flavors.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

I tasted it before I froze it, and I think with sweeter lemons, you might want to reduce the sugar. I am looking forward to serving visiting son and his friend before they fly back to NYC tomorrow. Gotta go see if it is ready to stir.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The stirring is when it all begins........

• chloebud
    5 years ago

mamapinky, I might make some today if I find time to run out and get some cream. We have more lemons than we can use from our tree.

For anyone who, like me, loves using lemon in so many things, these two books by Lori Longbotham are a couple of favorites.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

I wonder about whipping the heavy cream, mixing the milk into the lemon mixture till the sugar dissolves, and then folding the lemon and milk mixture into the whipped heavy cream???

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sheila I just don't know. It may be that the original procedure is to ensure that the lemon juice doesn't cause crystals in the finished product which can easily happen when adding a juice to something and than freezing. If you try it please let us know how it works.

• marylmi
    5 years ago

Yummy!! I made this today and it was sooo good! I used a metal bread pan which worked well and I also used a half cup of sugar. It was plenty sweet and next time( yes there WILL be a next time) I may cut back just a little more. Took a Dixie cup of it over to my neighbor to try and she loved it too! :)

• matti5
    5 years ago

Looks wonderful and easy, but I'm allergic to lemon :(

Has anyone tried it using berries?

• marylmi
    5 years ago

Matti5, I am thinking of using some chopped strawberries and for the liquid a half cup of the strawberry glaze that comes in a pkg. That should give it plenty of strawberry flavor.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mary I'm also going to try the strawberry but it will be awhile. I'll probably puree fresh strawberrys to use as the juice.

• JoanMN
    5 years ago

I bet the ice cream would be good with orange instead of lemon, too.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I'm waiting for others to try strawberries, and that orange sounds good too! Please report back!

• marylmi
    5 years ago

Warm blueberry pie with homemade lemon ice cream...... Delicious! :)

• bengardening
    5 years ago

I just made this yesterday. It is so good. picky DH and DS also loved it. I used a 1/2 cup less sugar and next time I will use less.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

Just put my 2nd batch in the freezer. Changed the recipe to use 2 Tablespoons less sugar. I also combined the sugar, milk, and cream as the first step. Then I grated and squeezed the lemon. When I was ready to stir the lemon into the cream mixture, the sugar was close to being dissolved so that I had reduced the amount of stirring I had done with the first batch when I followed directions. Better method. Can't wait for it to freeze up, but it will be a couple more hours.

• Kathsgrdn
    5 years ago

This recipe sounded so good that I'm going to make it later this week. I invited my daughter to dinner. We're going to make a Home Chef meal of Mongolian Beef (one of her favorite meals) and have this ice cream for dessert. I can't wait!

• javiwa
    5 years ago

Following along. sheilajoyce: Did you add the salt during the first step (along with milk, cream and sugar)?

Can't wait to try this. Thanks so much for posting, mamapinky0!

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    5 years ago

I would like to try this with lemon first, but then I would like to try it with mango (which is currently in season here). I wonder if it would work without getting ice crystals.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

: ) jerzeegirl, I've been waiting (and waiting) for someone else to try a different fruit in this recipe! Love the lemon, but would like to try something else also....

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

I'm not sure how you would do this with something like mango. Would you juice or puree at least part of it?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have plans to eventually try other fruits, but life has been hectic so I just haven't had the time.

• annztoo
    5 years ago

mamapinky, are those pastries you have the ice cream served on? Looks delicious!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Annztoo the ice cream is in hollowed out orange halves with a thin crispy ginger cookie. The kids get a kick out of cute stuff like this.

• CA Kate z9
    5 years ago

DGS AND I made the ice cream today in my electric Ice cream machine. SOOOOO delicious... and I don’t even really care for lemon sorbet. We will need to make at least one more batch before I leave. Once brother gets home from hospital it will disappear faster than we can make it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES