SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
penn6th

Fill gap between window and frame

penn6th
5 years ago

Need advice on what to do about the weatherstripping that falls out of these Lincoln wood windows. Location: DFW metroplex, TX (hot climate) The wood windows are fixed, i.e., they do not open or shut. Due to high heat, humidity, etc the wood around these windows seems to have alot of movement. I have had to re-caulk joints between wood windows and stone masonry every few years. Every year a few windows have this weatherstripping piece just fall out as is shown in photo. Originally I just was replacing that piece that fell out with flexible westherstripping, but that does not seem to last but a few years also. Now I am wondering if I should just fill the gap between wood window frame and wood window with an expandable foam and then caulk over to seal, then apply new paint all.

The windows are not designed to open. The gap created when the weatherstripping piece falls out is usually +- 5/16" wide, too wide for just caulk. Advice please on best exterior caulk for this type application. Many thanks.

Comments (10)