SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_lewis59

PLEASE help me decide on window arrangement!!

Kristen Lewis
5 years ago
Here is the front elevation of our home. It's a simple design and modest in size. The left is a side loading garage with a full story bonus room. The right side is a craft room upstairs, dining room below. The windows right of entry on the bottom I want to stay the same. They are 7' tall and so are all of the others downstairs except for some small transoms in the utility and a closet, and master bath windows. They are all the same size and spacing and some are visible at the same time. I just want that to remain unchanged. I need help with two things.

1. I didn't realize it until like yesterday that the craft room window seat planned for upstairs is where two windows were on the floor plan (duh). They are 5' tall. I think that would look terrible on the inside, but my designer advised me that if those two windows become one, it will look top heavy. Getting rid of the window seat would not be a small deal to me because the room is going to be fully custom, all built ins, Murphy bed (doubles as a guest room), built in wardrobe rather than closet, and desk. Basically floor to ceiling built ins on every wall. A window seat goes perfectly there. It needs to be there lol. So, what do I do about that?

2. The windows on the left side (garage downstairs, bonus upstairs), I need to decide on asap. They can be square or arch top as shown (not round), single or doubles. I can add, take away. To me, as drawn, it just looks like a humongous piece of house (the biggest part of the house on the front) with not a lot of windows.

The windows will have a prairie grid and I didn't plan on any shutters as the right side windows wouldn't work with them. I am looking for a brick trim design that gives more interest.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (83)

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

It would be easy to almost double the craft room size by eliminating the open to below areas over the porch and entry.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

I'll just preface this by saying I don't know Sophie or PPF in real life. I've received nothing from Sophie or PPF, other than the (considerable) benefits of their good advice, mostly to others, on this forum and others before and during our own recently finished house build (we live on a farm in rural western Canada).

I am just putting it out there that I won't change the roofline and arches.

That's too bad.

Given that, my question now is, is the compromise I drew better than the original? You don't have to love it, I just want your opinion on if it is improved from the original?

No, it's not better. It's just different. But not in a good way.

And keep in mind that windows are just one part of the overall design that all needs to work together.

People often pick individual parts without considering how/if they fit with the grand scheme.

This. It's the Butterfly Effect, for designing/building a house.

• Related Discussions

Pls Help Me Decide- Final Window & Front Door Decision Due In AM!

Q

Comments (19)
    Thanks everyone for your input!! The final decisions were: 1st Door--I prefer the middle door-very simple with elegant understated lines, but DH likes the added privacy the iron lends to the door, so privacy trumps simple & elegant. Living 1000 ft off the road and around a corner on 45 acres isn't private enough, I guess. DH says if we don't like it once we move in, we'll change it out--time will tell. Kitchen Window--I ended up with a small reprieve here as questions came up on other windows when they went to place the order today, so any changes have to be made tomorrow. Our decision was to go with the standard window (no arch). There will be no window treatments on this window. My thought was that if I didn't like the way it looked, I could add an arched cornice board that would extend to the ceiling that matches the cabinetry to give a visual arched look like this: Then I got to thinking about athensmomof3 & chisue's responses about the 3 casements. I have an inspiration picture (posted below), but not sure on the sizes shown or even if the side units are a different size than the middle unit. I did call the cabinet guy & verified my cabinet specs. I would be able to do the 3 casements to form an arch, but it will be tight. Technically, I've got 58.5" of space available for the window (3.25" trim already taken into consideration). My options on window widths would be: A) 12" - 24" - 12" (proportionally, this one might be a little too tall for the specced width) B) 16" - 24" - 16" C) 18" - 18" - 18" Any thoughts? Ash6181-The doors are made by DSA Mastercraft Doors out of Raleigh, NC. Here is a link that might be useful: DSA Mastercraft Site
    ...See More

Please vote and help me decide

Q

Comments (19)
    Aestheically, I think it works much better across from the window. But, if it works much better for you near the fireplace that is what I would do--it's your house and you live there. So for me, I would just see which would annoy me more--the crowded fireplace wall or the glare/inability to see the TV from the kitchen. I think the best solution would be to mount above the fireplace. That would eliminate the crowded fireplace wall; allow for kitchen watching; give you plenty of seating. My sister has a very small room wtih the tv over the fireplace and there is no trouble with viewing.
    ...See More

Help me decide, PLEASE

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Mom2Boys and thanks for your reply. It does sound as if our windows are similar. I don't have drafty windows and they are about 60 years old, original to the house. They are wood with aluminum storms, as yours were. I am quite sure they will last another 60 years. My gut is telling me to get them painted because I know what I am dealing with, whereas with new windows there are often many problems just as you described. OTOH everyone thinks I should get new because they haven't had any problems with theirs. My thoughts are that there windows are indeed new - the oldest are ten years and one would not expect problems that soon. I will probably be moving sometime in the next ten years (now retired and the house is a lot of work) so I don't need a life time warranty. New windows would not effect resale in this neighbourhood because this is a red hot market with people waiting to buy and then they have contractors in for seven months gutting the house and completely rebuilding. I will get my last quote today and will take next week to mull it all over and make a decision. YES I think you are absolutely right and that painting is the way to go. Thanks again.
    ...See More

New! Can you help me arrange furniture in my family room please?

Q

Comments (8)
    How much seating do you need on a regular basis? I would be inclined to get a leather couch, that would sit to the left of the fireplace, facing the dining area. Sofa table behind the couch, with lamps. Nesting tables at the fireplace end, to be used as needed. Opposite, on the right side of the fireplace, a pair of chairs that recline. No ottomans, as I see that being an obstacle for your son. The recliners let you put your feet up as desired, but are not in the way the rest of the time. A nice table and lamp between the two chairs. No coffeetable needed. The tv moves to the stairway wall, where the couch is now. Wall mounted or on an entertainment stand. If there is room for the bookcase beside it, fine, but I have a feeling that wonâÂÂt work, in part because I believe I see the thermostat there. In that case, you could put another chair against the wall for extra seating. with a wall-mounted swing arm lamp beside it, and a narrow table next to it. I wouldnâÂÂt necessarily drywall in the space over the fireplace - it could be a cool display niche, especially if you could add some lighting into the top of it.
    ...See More
  • dan1888
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Kristen, there's something I like about your new façade. I'd like the window above the door to be all window without the eyebrow construct.

It's certainly much better than the original drawing. It's not a strict specific match of a 'type' from the past. And it gives the feeling of something inviting instead of staid and solid. Keep working on it. I'd suggest the ganged single windows with the thin brick between them be eliminated from all the doubles. That should save you money inside and out. Helps with flashing too. That's progress.

Kristen Lewis thanked dan1888
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

No I'm sorry but it's not better. It's just more of the same. Really PPF's version upstream is 1000x better. Too bad you're not willing to see if you can rework it.

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Kristen Lewis thanked PPF.
  • User
    5 years ago

Anything without that cracker box entry is better than anything with it. But the version with the lower pitched hipped roofs, and no arches, is the real winner. This is a handsome house, that is only a Level 1 on the McMansion scale. The original was much higher on the scale. .

http://mcmansionhell.com/101

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dan1888, thank you! Lol. It's not an eyebrow, it's just the way I drew it. It's the arch of the entry and the arch of the window underneath it. It is all window. Also, yes, no doubles. They are all singles. I just got the change order back and it's only $1250 to add the five windows, so I'm going for it. Thank you PPF, your work completely inspired me to come up with something I like. Without your help, I dunno what I would have done, but I wouldn't have come up with what I did. I'm not arguing with anyone about architecture. My home doesn't need to be in a magazine. It's important that I love it. I think it's funny that people feel more strongly about it than I do and it's my house lmao. If it did cost me $50k, that's fine with me because it's what I want and what I like about the house. It's an important feature to me. I'm willing to sacrifice square footage (expensive anyway!!) to have the dramatic entrance. Thank you everyone, especially PPF. I want to ask y'all though, would you change your whole house because a few people on the internet told you to? When it's not what you want? I love my house and love it a lot more with the new windows. And one of my favorite things, Sophie, is that cracker box entry, whatever that means! I'll leave y'all with this. No hard feelings lol.

• Naf_Naf
    5 years ago

Kristen,

This is not Facebook. This is a group of people, most of them very knowledgeable. Too bad you can't see it.

Those arched windows are not adding curb appeal and of course, you can do with your house whatever you want but then, why bother posting here?

This is what I was thinking, to break the boxy feel of the home: Extend the porch to the right, and to do this, the window sill at the craft room will need to be a bit higher.

5 years ago

I can't speak to any of the Houzz forums, but one of the main advantages for me of the GardenWeb forums in the nearly 10 years I've been here (mostly reading for the first few years) is how educational and informative the forums can be for those who are open to learning more in certain areas. I learned a bit about architecture, ancient and modern, in university art classes and later through my own reading, but what I've learned in the Building a Home and also the Home Decorating forum, about design and the history of design, has been invaluable, and also incredibly interesting, as my husband and I were working on our own house plans. As the saying goes, you don't know what you don't know. If you're flexible and open-minded, you can know more. And for me, my new house is all the better, in both form and function, for what we've learned.

Good luck with your new house project, Kristen.

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Becky. It is a little too late for me to change things like this. And naf, I do see that! And I posted asking for window advice, not on how to change my roofline. I am beyond that point and discussing it doesn't really benefit me. If everyone thinks I made a mistake, well, it's already been made! That is all done lol. I like your idea of extending the porch a lot, but it's a little late in the game. Again, I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to look at what I presented. My husband made the meme after I told him about this lol. I just thought it was funny and hoped it would make someone else laugh too. :)

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And Becky, I totally get the you don't know what you don't know... And I'm all for learning new things, like I said, we're just beyond the point to be starting that now. The house is what it is. It's finished being designed. If I were in the beginning, I would have the time and a reason to entertain other ideas or hear people out. Right now, that doesn't help lol. I just wanted to know about window placement and everyone is like your roofline sucks lol. My focus was windows. And PPF answered my question. And I appreciate it very much! And he advised me on the roof in a respectful manner, which I also appreciate.

5 years ago

It is a little too late for me to change things like this.

For some it's too late, and for others it's an opportunity : ) .

Kristen Lewis thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • ksc36
    5 years ago

Tell your husband he is safe. You've survived....

• cpartist
    5 years ago

How far along is the build? Is framing done?

• Naf_Naf
    5 years ago

cpartist, she said they just poured the slab.

• User
    5 years ago

No, it’s not too late. A MUCH better looking and functioning house, for less money, who could possibly say they didn’t want to jump on that?

• Suru
    5 years ago

Ok, here's my two cents on the windows. Keep your roof line the same but DON'T do the arched windows. Make the windows in the garage larger and match them up top in the crafts room like PPF's suggestion. But don't do the arched windows. They don't match the feel of the house and they are very dated. Also, putting window coverings on them is a pain. Don't do them. Just don't do them.

You also might want to look into adding a little shed roof over your front door so you don't get rained on.

PPF - you really rock in my opinion. I am often amazed at the talent of the pros on this site. I guess that's why you are pros LOL!

Kristen Lewis thanked Suru
    5 years ago

Also, putting window coverings on them is a pain.

And often an expensive pain. Though windows like that are partly what keeps the Home Decorating forum going lol -- "What sort of window treatments should I use with my problem windows?"

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Those arched windows really date the house. At the very minimum, change those.
  • Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sophie, I doubt my builder would be like "that's cool, we'll add square footage and knock off $50k." Lol, just don't see it happening. But, even if he did, I LIKE the roofline. I'm not sure why no one else does, but I like it better than PPF's renderings (no offense, please) I'm glad that he did them, I didn't know I had options like that. But, in the end, comparing them side to side, I just like it the way it was. I like all the open space. I just didn't know what to do about windows. I live about an hour south of Houston, Texas. I don't know where y'all are, but maybe some of this is a locational preference, the rendering just didn't look like anything around here really. In the exterior photos search, selecting Houston changes things a lot. Again, I appreciate the advice. I just don't want people upset when I don't follow it to a t. It is not personal. Lol. Just needed help with the windows, folks. But, if anyone feels like it, explain what is so horrible? I get everyone wants a hip roof over the left, I don't know why, maybe explain it to me. I just honestly love the house and don't think anything is wrong with it. Neither do I dislike the renderings, I just liked it best how I had it. That's all.

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I actually sew window treatments and sell them on Etsy. Mostly Roman shades. I'll figure something out!

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maybe I could scoot on over to the home decor threads and give my pro advice on what to do about those pesky arches... After I figure it out. Lol.

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

Can you explain what you like about the arched windows? To me (along with a lot of people) those are the biggest offenders, and I'm not sure what about them you like. Perhaps if you can articulate it people could better help you.

The arched window over the door, combined with the roof, make the whole center section of the house look top heavy. They visually outweigh the door and just make the whole thing look unbalanced. If you're really attached to arched windows and a taller roof line more like that of your original image, this version from PFF looks much better to me - more proportional and balanced, especially with the small porch roof.

• dan1888
    5 years ago

Kristen- Your arches are actually pretty easy because they don't include a fade into the sides like a true ellipse. The large window over the door is fixed. This can be made as a simple insulated unit by a local glass company and be trimmed by a finish carpenter. I've supplied a full size plywood template for the curved portion to make sure it was done to plan. And that was for ellipticals with the fade.

For the other check Marvin Integrity fiberglass. Here.

Kristen Lewis thanked dan1888
    5 years ago

But, if anyone feels like it, explain what is so horrible?

Not "so horrible", but to put it simply, the simple approach is generally the most beautiful and the most timeless.

You wrote in your first house about your plan, "It's a simple design and modest in size", which sounds like you want simple and modest. But your design isn't as simple and modest as it could be. A few tweaks, as others have shown here, could make what you already have into a stunningly elegant house.

Here's are some good posts by Maria Killam, a designer who blogs mostly about paint colors, none of them particularly about windows --

First Rule of Design: Boring Now Equals Timeless Later

Professionals Know When to Avoid the Obvious

5 Steps to Designing a Classic Stone Exterior

From that last post:

"Builders and buyers seem to be convinced that when it comes to exterior colours and claddings, more is more. And that’s too bad, because if you want to create a classic exterior, simplicity is key.

Just like any design project nowadays, the options are endless, and it’s really hard to pick just one. So in an effort to be “interesting”, the general consensus seems to be, why not pick three? Or more?

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE OPTIONS, DOESN’T MEAN YOU SHOULD INDULGE"

You don't need to be a professional to understand basic design principles, but it helps to have had some training, even if it's mostly studying a lot of magazines or pictures on Pinterest, to basically train the eye. A good book that can help with this is "Designing Your Perfect House" by William J. Hirsch.

A lot of these principles -- balance, proportion, symmetry, etc -- apply across the board, to houses as well as fashion and beyond. For example, as Coco Chanel famously said, "Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off", and "It is always better to be underdressed".

Ornamentation just for the sake of ornamentation takes away from a pleasing design rather than adding to it. The arched window isn't a standard rectangular window, and it's not a Palladian window in the appropriate Palladian house style. It's a hybrid that's neither here nor there, and has become a common feature of McMansions. Unlike the latest must-have trendy sneakers or earrings, the facade of your house is not as easily or inexpensively changed up.

From the blog McMansion Hell, "McMansions 101: Windows":

1) The same window styles are used across the entirety of the elevation, creating/maintaining continuity and visual order.

2) To avoid visual clutter, only two or fewer window shapes are used across the entire facade.

and

Window Win #1: Use the same window and trim styles across the entire elevation.

And here is McMansions 101: Roofs

At least you were willing to accepting everyone's advice here rather than your designer's about the window seat : ) .

Kristen Lewis thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

But, if anyone feels like it, explain what is so horrible?

Hey, there, Miss Kristen. :-)

Basically, the "mission" that every home should have -- when approached/viewed from the street -- is one of welcoming. Even if y'all are extremely introverted, it's always nice for the house to welcome *you,* if not everyone else.

The way this is accomplished is by making the most important part -- the front door -- stand out and enjoy the most prominence. Simplifying roof lines, window types/shapes, exterior cladding, etc., are all ways to reduce visual clutter and emphasize your front door.

Doing these kinds of things also creates a sense of calm or peace when looking at the house. As an example, wouldn't it just kill you, at least a little bit, if one of your Etsy clients wanted you to make some Roman shades using tartan plaid, pink herringbone, gray and yellow chevron, navy and citron stripe, *and* black and white polka dot, all on the same window? Folks here are trying to help create a simpler, more pleasing building. They all mean well. <3

Kristen Lewis thanked One Devoted Dame
  • PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Build what you like and be happy.

Kristen Lewis thanked PPF.
  • Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

To answer why I like them, I like that they will only be where there is a higher gable roof. I think it makes sense. Maybe I am trying to decorate the house like Sophie said... But, I think it's kinda bland when you take it away. I get that less is more sometimes, but I don't feel like I'm going crazy adding all kinds of stuff. I admit, I have no education in architecture, so I'm basing everything on how I think it looks. The house is only 2220 square feet without the finished bonus room. (We are doing a rough in though.) I will say that originally the entry was going to be stone, I have a feeling y'all would be proud that I went with all brick lol. I had come across and read the mcmansion blog before you all suggested it. I agree that the houses on there are terrible, but I think they are a lot larger than my home. They do have a lot (way too much) going on. I will only have two window shapes, and only where there is a gable. I think it's ok. I'm going with it. I'm not saying any of you are wrong, not at all. I know you are all trying to help and not just being a holes lol. In the end though, I have to build the house that I love. As far as the front door, I hope it being a double door will draw attention to it. I picked, in my opinion, a beautiful door. I've always wanted a double door! And Etsy clients and their fabrics, sometimes, yes lol. What's worse though is when people don't listen to me as far as what time to take pictures or how to dress. I'm a photographer, thus the studio on the floor plan. I refuse to take pictures in the middle of the day outdoors unless they just absolutely insist after I explain to them that it's a horrible idea. They almost always regret it. Sometimes we get lucky and it's very overcast, but when the sun is out there are hideous shadows everywhere and there's nothing I can do about it and Photoshop will not fix that. It can help, but not enough to make the picture ok. I hope I don't end up regretting my house like they regret not listening to me. I don't think I will though. I like the drawing. I know I won't be reading about architecture after its built! Lol. You don't know what you don't know and I don't want to know if I'm an idiot. Lol. It just comes down to what I like the best and I love it honestly. I can't find a reason not to. Thank you all! Thank you, PPF!

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

If you are going to choose the front facing gable, then also choose that for the other front bump out, and the main body of the home. That gives you more consistency in form, more chances for better light on the sides, and adds the possibility of additional floor space.

Consistency in form is a big deal.

Which is why PPF’s versions with the all hopped roofs, and focus on the door, all look “better”. It’s not a mix of windows, or a mix of hip and gable styles, and there is nothing that draws the eye away from the entry.

It is the inconsistency of forms, and the imbalance of the heavier left bump out that everyone is trying to “fix” and unify. So, if you prefer the gable, and the arches, run with that. Everywhere.(I think the all hip would still look better, but if you don’t like it, you don’t like it.)

I’d like to see what PPF would do with that suggestion, as I don’t have the software to show it.

Aren't you glad you’re just at the foundation pour stage! LOL!

Kristen Lewis thanked User
  • Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dan, this not my house or builder, but check this out. I'm sure they are not doing the arched windows right. We were going to go with this builder, not custom, it was going to be at least 1,000 square feet bigger at the same price. I joined the subdivision Facebook page and asked if people were happy. No, they had serious issues like garage detaching, their second stories weren't leveled and someone else doing their flooring had to pour concrete to level it, roof leaks, electrical issues, nightmares. One year old houses. It is a court right outside the neighborhood we are building in. It's called Heritage court, we are heritage oaks. Their value is around $121 per square foot. Heritage Oaks is a lot higher. I am so glad that we found that out. We even got our earnest money back, we so quickly changed our minds. As soon as the first person started listing problems, we backed out immediately. On the outside, the houses are very nice (in my opinion, y'all probably wouldn't agree lol.)

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cook, I am really considering this.

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

I really love that last rendering PPF did for you! It’s got interest with the wide eaves, trim, double door, etc., but is still elegant rather than overdone.

• homechef59
    5 years ago

The reason you are getting posts with additional suggestions beyond the original window question is because you are just at the foundation stage. At this point, a roofing change such as the one suggested is very easy. Thus, the desire to want to create harmony.

Second, the posters want something better for you than you even know you want. Rather than accept just good enough, they want really great at the same price. That's called value.

Third, I'm really proud of you for selecting one material, brick. That was a great decision. In the Houston area, you are surrounded by McMansion hell. If you don't see anything different from it, you won't know that something so much better is possible.

Last, just because it's small doesn't mean it can't be great. The difference between those arched windows and the rectangular windows is the difference between good and great. The mixing of roof lines is the difference between good and great, too. The effort at simplification will make the house seem so much larger. Less is always more. Classic is not a dirty word.

It costs absolutely nothing to have a conversation with your builder about the cost of framing the roofs as hipped roofs and the windows as rectangular. It doesn't mean you have to do it. You have renderings to illustrate the possibilities to show to them. That's always half the battle when trying to communicate an idea. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy your new home.

Kristen Lewis thanked homechef59
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Along with everything else that's been said the reason the huge window above the door doesn't work is because it then makes the second floor look top heavy like it's going to crush the first floor. That is why in good home design, you usually see second floor windows not as tall as first floor windows.

Additionally the gable over the door rising above the roof line makes it look visually unbalanced.

While it appears your mind is made up and you're unwilling to listen, I will suggest reading a book that helped me with my build called What Not to Build.

The houses that withstand the test of time are not the ones where lipstick on the pig is added but the ones that are understated.

If it were me, I'd build PPF's last version. It's classic.

Kristen Lewis thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"...If it were me, I'd build PPF's last version. It's classic..."

Yep!

• homechef59
    5 years ago

FWIW, I like that last version, too.

• Architectrunnerguy
    5 years ago

For totally free design help on a "We're movin' on up" project, PPF went way above and beyond there. Well done!

• dan1888
    5 years ago

Kristen- The window manufacturer, say Marvin for Infinity or Jeldwin, each have very specific installation instructions in pdf. I'd call and ask Tech Support to give you their recommendations for arched windows. Once you know this you can pass this on to your builder and make it a part of the contract. You've seen what can happen if a poor quality builder is allowed to do what he wants. You are making a big purchase. Knowledge is the best way to protect yourself. You must take responsibility cause you'll be living with the consequences. Flashing info. .. . . . .

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We went to check out a little bit of framing last night, and with everything you've all said in my mind, you would absolutely hate every other house at minimum. Lol

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

But wouldn't it be better to have a house that's more timeless and classic than it's neighbors, rather than one that just matches the soon-to-be-outdated crowd? The versions that PPF would have looked good to people 20 or 50 or 100 years ago, and they'll look good to people in 20 or 50 or 100 years. The trendy houses in the neighborhood are going to be the equivalent of the 80's houses that we all look at now and think are outdated. You're doing yourself a favor for resale, if nothing else, by choosing a more classic style.

• chispa
    5 years ago

I'm surprised that tract/production builders haven't jumped on the modern farmhouse trend, specially since Joanna Gaines is from Texas! Probably hasn't trickled down market yet or someone has a warehouse full of brick and arched windows they need to sell!

When I moved to LA 8 years ago, most new construction in my area was shingle/Nantucket style. Now they are all modern farmhouse style with white siding, black windows and sometimes metal roofs.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

We went to check out a little bit of framing last night, and with everything you've all said in my mind, you would absolutely hate every other house at minimum. Lol

My mother used to have a saying. Something about if everyone else was jumping off the Brooklyn bridge, would I follow?

Everyone else in my development is building what I call white sugar cube houses. The rest of the neighborhood is old craftsman, and other old style homes. I didn't build a sugar cube. I built a version of craftsman because I don't need to be like every other house on the block. And in 5-10 years when everyone has moved on from sugar cube style homes, mine will still be more salable since it's basically a classic.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Ok so here are 80's houses that no one seems to want nowadays. But boy were they popular back in the 80's. With the walls that didn't go to the ceilings and the soaring spaces.

And in my neighborhood, this is what is selling now. These houses along with the McMansion wannabe's will be tomorrow's 80's house.

• User
    5 years ago

If you're going to use front gables let them attach to a main cross gable roof. If you are going to use front hipped roofs let them attach to a main hipped roof. Combining gables and hips has generally been avoided historically for a reason. To paraphrase Click and Clack: the English don't copy the French and the French don't copy anyone.

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is the cut and paste elevation compared to the original plan we started with. Roofline going up. We will see...
  • Suru
    5 years ago

I love learning things on this site (unfortunately this time it's at the OP's expense - sorry Kristen)

If you're going to use front gables let them attach to a main cross gable roof. If you are going to use front hipped roofs let them attach to a main hipped roof. Combining gables and hips has generally been avoided historically for a reason.

I was trying to visualize in my head what Architectbanjoguy meant. Now looking at the OP's last two drawing, I see what he means. The original plan (second image) has gables tying into a main gable, while the OP's has a mixture of hips and gables tying into a hip. IMO the original plan looks so much better, cohesive, and purposeful. Thank you Architectbanjoguy :-)

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That roof talk went way over my head! Haha
  • Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What is the historical reason? Cringing because I don't wanna know. Lol
    5 years ago

abg is using "historically" to mean in the past.

In other words, "Combining gables and hips has generally been avoided in the past for a reason." See suru's post just above for the explanation.

• Katie S.
    5 years ago

Cpartist, just read an article about houses like the ones in the second part of your post. People are calling them “McModerns”.

Kristen, please post pictures and let us know what you think when it’s up. I hope you are happy with how it turns out!