SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jagmanjoe

Using City Pickers containers for veggies sim to Earthbox containers

jagmanjoe
5 years ago

I have a dilemma. I used to do a lot of container gardens similar to the Earthbox only a design I found on the internet and was very successful with peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce and others. I had moved about a year ago and did not bring those old homemade containers. Several months ago I saw the City Pickers containers on sale for about the same price as I had into the old containers without the hassle of making them up again so I purchased a bunch of them.

I did not want to wait to start the garden from seeds as I was late starting the season so in addition to seeds I bought a number of seedlings from a big box store to plant some initially while I started some seeds as well.

Now well into growing, I have been battling whiteflies along with the associated yellow leaf curl virus that they transmit and it has also been destroying my home grown seedlings no matter what I do.

I have a bunch of home grown seedlings that I have not yet transplanted and my thought is to simply pull all of the plants in the containers, even though some are still producing peppers. Then uncover all of the planters for a few days, remove the fertilizer row they use and let them sit for about a week. Then I was going to put the seedlings into clear bags and spray inside the bags with a vegetable insect fogger to kill any remaining white flies or other insects, put new fertilizer rows down and then transplant the seedlings from the clear bags and watch them closely along with keeping some yellow glue traps to help in identifying any lingering bad insects.

Any other suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH