SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margemeg

Bathroom lighting size and placement

Meg W
5 years ago

Hi - we are at the ripped out walls stage of our bathroom reno with the electrician coming soon, and I'm trying to figure out the size and location of our vanity lighting.

Bathroom is 5x8', basic layout of tub on one side, vanity/toilet on the other.

Currently there is a 4-light fixture above the vanity / medicine cabinet - sorry there was no easy way for me to get this angle until after the demo had started! This is the wall that is 5ft long.

Our new plan includes a long narrow framed mirror that spans the full 60" wall - the lower blue tape margins are the mirror, with the top of the mirror even with the current light at about 75" high. The ceilings are 8 ft. There will be about 5" of space between the bottom of the mirror (where the current drywall stops) and the top of the new wall tile.

We like the long bath bars like this:

Perpetua 42" LED Vanity Fixture 53.5W Dimmable Frosted Glass 4600 Lumens, Polish · More Info

but the questions are:

should we center the bar above the mirror instead of just above the vanity (my instinct is yes, to center it), keep it above the vanity only, or do two lights, one above vanity and one above toilet.

If we do center it, how wide should the light fixture be if the mirror is 60"? The sink will be flush with the left wall, so for example, centering a 36" bar would mean the light starts about at the center of the sink.

There is no window in this room but there will be a small light in the exhaust fan which is centered between the toilet and the tub.

For various reasons (financial, structural, time pressure) we are not considering side sconces or pendant lighting.

Here are photos I found of all three options:

Large and centered:

Dronkers Residence · More Info

Crisp City Bathrooms · More Info

Just above vanity:

Guest Bathroom Remodel, Washington DC · More Info

Two lights above vanity and toilet:

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info

Bathroom · More Info

I will be so glad to be done with this project and stop asking questions about it! Thanks so much for any advice.

Comments (9)