SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_562728391

Transitioning from existing tile to Polished concrete slab

Chris
5 years ago

***disclaimer: )***

I am not a carpenter or tradesman and am extremely particular and somewhat obsessive..this is the worst combo ever when it comes to home renovation. Please bare with me as this is our first house and I am in far over my head. I am located in Jacksonville Florida. If additional pics are needed that is not a problem. I will do my best to describe the issue. Please do not hesitate to request further info.

Hello,

This is my first post on the forum. I am hoping to find a solution that looks clean,professional,and finished.

Issue: Transitioning from existing tile (13" ceramic 15 yrs++ old) to polished concrete slab. The tiles where previously transitioning onto a floating engineered floor using a basic threshold moulding. Now we have unveiled the cut edges of the existing tile as well as the nail holes from the carpet being removed long ago. There is a height difference of 3/8 inch.

Choice #1 ( not sure if possible) -I would like to cut a new line down the previously cut tiles ( 15' + 12') carefully remove the mortar underneath, install a trim edge(schluter), add a decorative very small tile border that will transition onto the polished concrete blending the overall height and look.

Choice # 2- Same thing but the schluter or trim edge is reducer type that reduces down the 3/8 and finishes the look. This would leave the nail craters. Not ideal but a compromise I know I might have to make.

Choice #3- Have a custom oak transition made.

Choice # 4,5,6 ..?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths