SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_hancock94

Remove Window to Improve Kitchen Layout?

Emily Hancock
5 years ago

We are building new construction and I am stumped on the kitchen layout. Attached is what our architect has - the shape and dimensions of the counters and island are pretty fixed, but the layout of appliances within that shape is not.

What I'm having trouble with is the range. I can't stand it jammed up next to the refrigerator like it is right now. We've considered double wall ovens where the range currently stands along with a separate cooktop in the island, but ventilation would be a problem, as downdrafts perform poorly and a range hood would be difficult under a 12' ceiling (it's a bit difficult to tell from this picture, but the ceiling bumps up from 10' to 12' at the beam running between the two kitchen windows and through the dining table).

My best idea is to eliminate the single window in the corner, and move the range onto that wall. The window has a view of the back yard and marsh beyond, and I like that it looks out directly rather than through the screen porch like the larger kitchen window, but I don't know if that's enough to justify a subpar layout with the range.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Comments (103)