SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_anne_todgham

Issues with quartz installation - advice please!

I'm having trouble posting, so will try without the pictures and then add them in the comments....

Looking for advice....We had our granite removed and new quartz installed a few days ago and I'm now noticing some issues. I'm trying to figure out if these are a big deal and which to ask the fabricator/installer to fix. We are not using a general contractor, but got the quartz through a tile store that provides demo and installation of quartz and tile. The tile isn't installed yet, and we've paid 65% so far.

1. The island hangs over further one one side of the pony wall than the other. It seems like it was a fabrication error because the plywood is shorter than the quartz on one side. The asymmetry looks really bad to me and it is not what I asked for. (First three pictures)

2. The counter hangs out past the fridge and other cabinets. They insisted that it had to be this way, but it hangs out further than the plywood, so I'm not sure why it would have to hang out this far. How much past the drawer and door should the cabinet extend? (Pictures 4 and 5)

3. The pony wall was damaged during demo or installation. The counter also doesn't line up neatly with the pony wall. You don't really notice unless you're down lower, but it just looks really shoddy when I bend down to pick something up or clean the floor. (Picture 6)

4. There is a gap between the counter and the cabinet that holds the oven. Now, we had originally planned to put a side splash there because the installer told me we had to. I've decided I would rather fix the cabinet. I'm not sure if he should be responsible for making it fit properly if he had thought there would be a sidesplash to cover the gap. And can caulk fix this? (Picture 7)

5. The invoice said they would replace the plywood, but they just turned the old plywood upside down in some places. The wood is splintered and has old glue on it, which has a terrible smell and I'm worried about the off-gassing.

I'm probably being too picky about some of these things....I'd love advice on what you think is fair to ask to fix and what I should just live with. Thanks so much for reading and your thoughts!

Comments (7)