SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adayinthegarden48

Guidance Needed

I am trying to root 3 rose cuttings for the first time, and I think it's already a fail.

I used clear plastic bottles, cut apart 2/3 of the way down, big holes cut in bottom part, and top part cut vertically around edge so it will fit snugly inside the bottom portion. Caps screwed on.

I used a starter mix with lots of vermiculite, a rooting hormone and cuttings with dead blooms. I watered the medium and let it drain. I scraped a little green off the lower 1/2" of the cutting, exposing the white underneath before using the rooting hormone.

I made a hole in the medium with a pencil, stuck the cutting in, firmed it a bit, put the top on and set them aside.

Some of the vertical slits were a little too high, letting air in, so I wrapped that area with duct tape.

There was no condensation inside the bottle for a couple days, and white mold developed on the very tops of the cuttings. I took the tape off, cut about 1/4" off each, getting rid of the mold. They are on my porch where they get light but no direct sun.

After about a week and a half, there is a tiny bit of condensation in one.

What have I done wrong? And can it be corrected?

Comments (7)