"airtight seal" food storage containers question
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (9)
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Related Discussions
food storage question on 50 lbs. rice
Comments (5)I am going to put rice in quart mason jars and store it. Alternatively, you could buy a couple of 5 gallon plastic buckets with gasketed lids, and fit it all into them (probably with room to spare). Won't break if knocked into. If you're worried about the plastic being food-safe (e.g., if the buckets are used and you're not sure what the buckets contained), you could add an inner liner bag. If you're worried about not getting a vacuum in the jars, toss a chunk of dry-ice into the top of each bucket before pressing down on the lids to seal them. It'll sublimate into CO2, which is inert. If you want some easier-to-access storage too, you could mix it up. One bucket for long-term storage, and a bunch of jars for short-term. --Steve...See MoreNeed one size container and lids for food storage
Comments (1)Research the new type of silicon tops. Very versatile and you can use on a variety of vessel sizes. They are for refrigeration. I don't know about freezing options....See MoreDo you think OXO POP Containers are "Safe" for food storage?
Comments (11)Over the last couple of years I have begun to eliminate plastic storage of any kind from my kitchen. As things wore out or went missing, I turned to using my canning jars for storing things. As things evolved, I now use them for almost everything. They are great to store excess and to store leftovers. You can see everything in them, things stay very cold and the jars wash up with no residue left in them. I love them! My mom did this in the last years of her life. She had canned food out of her garden for decades and she had plenty of jars. As she got older, she had plenty of empty jars. The only problem is that now I am canning summer vegetables and my available supply is getting compromised. I have the little 1/2 pint size, to the quart size. You can even get them in larger sizes. Of course, there are some things such as left over pizza and ears of corn that need a differently shaped container. I keep a few things around for that, but mostly canning jars are what I use. I have also found that some cookware, such as covered casseroles, are great for food storage. You don't have to use them just to bake in. I will never buy any plastic storage things ever again. And, I will never replace any of them with new plastic ones. I even freeze in the glass sometimes. Although, it must be done with care with allowing room to expand and taking care when defrosting. As long as you know what you are doing, it works fine. I have a vacuum sealer that has an attachment to vacuum seal jars. That works very well for things that are time sensitive. I can also put a couple of fresh rolls or biscuits in the jars and seal them and they will keep fresh for longer. With the vacuum sealer, you can reuse the lids over and over, unlike with canning. As an added bonus I have rediscovered the joy of a "jelly jar" of iced tea in the summer. When I was growing up, that was what we used. These jars are so wonderfully versatile!...See Morepantry food storage containers
Comments (62)i have to agree that some of the personal attacks and screaming in some of these posts on this thread has been uncalled for. Opinions can be strong, and they can provoke some strong responses. But, personal attacks are unacceptable. Sometimes it is difficult to draw a straight line between a strongly worded opinion and personal attack when the opinion is seen as denunciation, but there should be some attempt to make that delineation. People who post here are inviting opinions and advice from strangers on the world wide web.. There will be misstatements and misinterpretations,differing versions of the truth, and, sometimes there will be too much said, too strongly. There will almost always be someone who feels that their toes have been stomped on, no matter what. That is unavoidable. But, there are no spitballs or flaming arrows allowed! Get a grip! All this was to be about was kitchen storage containers!! Glass, or plastic? By the way, I too have some of those old fashioned covered dishes such as pyrex. I have a darling nested set of very pretty colors and nice looking glass lids. I treasure them and really enjoy using them! They were given to me from the kitchen of an elderly lady who's family cared not for them. Enough said here about this--- moving on. I feel quite certain that someone is awaiting my opinion of how to place their sofa. I am sure I can muster an opinion for them and let them know exactly what I think they are doing all wrong. (insert muffled laughter here)...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

ORGANIZING5 Storage Container Materials to Consider for Sustainability
These earth-friendly materials can help you get organized
Full Story
ORGANIZINGPre-Storage Checklist: 10 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Store
Wait, stop. Do you really need to keep that item you’re about to put into storage?
Full Story
MOVINGA Guide to Self-Storage: Is a Mini Storage Unit Right for You?
We unpack the choices and costs involved in renting a place to stash extra stuff
Full Story
FEATURESHow Tupperware’s Inventor Left a Legacy That’s Anything but Airtight
Earl S. Tupper — and his trailblazing marketing guru, Brownie Wise — forever changed food storage. His story is stranger than fiction
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN9 Questions to Ask When Planning a Kitchen Pantry
Avoid blunders and get the storage space and layout you need by asking these questions before you begin
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Make Your Garage a Storage Powerhouse
New project for a new year: Add shelving and containers to get your stuff off the garage floor — and still have room for the car
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEHow to Get Your Kitchen Storage Under Control
An expert offers pointers on where to start organizing the kitchen and how to keep it neat
Full Story
MOST POPULARThe 15 Most Popular Kitchen Storage Ideas on Houzz
Solve common kitchen dilemmas in style with custom and ready-made organizers, drawers, shelves and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNTrick Out Your Kitchen Backsplash for Storage and More
Free up countertop space and keep often-used items handy by making your backsplash more resourceful
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESSurvive Your Home Remodel: 11 Must-Ask Questions
Plan ahead to keep minor hassles from turning into major headaches during an extensive renovation
Full Story
OutsidePlaying