SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

A few pretty blooms, in spite of the heatwave.

Lisa Adams
5 years ago

I do have a few pretty blooms, in spite of our recent heatwave. I’ll continue in a comment, because I’m SO tired of having this not post. Lisa

Comments (54)

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, chloebud and Ingrid. It WAS horrendously hot, wasn’t it? I drove home on Saturday, and as I passed 6-Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia the temperature was 100F, at 8 AM! That’s insane! I’m surprised I have any blooms at all.

Ingrid, the scabiosa has selfsown in various places. It’s very drought tolerant, and the gophers leave it alone. I wonder if it’s bunny proof, as well? I could certainly save you some seeds, if it is. It’s a very pale yellow color, and I started with one plant from Annie’s Annuals. They have it listed, if you want to look at it to see if you like it. It’s a plant that likes it hot and dry, with good drainage. Most of my selfsown plants are the hot and dry type.

I’m going to try a few more pictures, before it’s too dark out.

Jackie was right! Little White Pet is a tough little rose.

Jet Spray

Not an OGR, and it just got too dark for good pictures, but Love Song held up beautifully.

Little Millie, is rolling around with joy. Even on three legs, she makes it up the slope much faster than I do! Lisa

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Great photos, Lisa!

Lisa Adams thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Related Discussions

Emerald? and a few other garden blooms

Q

Comments (26)
    Honestly, I think it's a little neglect they actually thrive on! When we hover and baby them, we tend to add water sooner than they really need... we second guess their needs, I think. But when we forget about them for a little bit, and then at some point think, "oh no, I forgot to water!"... they actually seem to do better! My original Minerva was stuck in an 8" clay pot for years, and she was neglected quite often. She was left to sit in a south facing window and remain dry for long periods, until I'd suddenly remember that my plants needed water. She bloomed reliably every February. So, Ryan, I'd say it's BECAUSE of your neglect, and not in spite of, that your bulb thrives. Neglect within reason, of course... no plant can survive without any moisture or care whatsoever! :-)
    ...See More

In Spite Of Poor Weather...

Q

Comments (10)
    Liltika - Your poor plants! The winds and rains are not kind, unfortunately... but plants seem to recover pretty well. Those daisies are gorgeous! The colors are so bright! I can't recall the name, but if those are what I think they are, I've only seen them in white, lavender and orange in this area... sold as "accent annuals" for container arrangements. Lizalily - I wonder if naturalized peacock tastes anything like wild turkey? If they are a nuisance, some could probably be hunted without taking the entire flock... sort of like deer in the state parks... draw a lottery for tags! I must admit, they are extremely beautiful with full feathers... however noisy they may be! When the weather turns rainy and stormy like it is, I'm glad to have strong prescriptions to offset the pain! It's like having a disease plus really bad arthritis! Not fun, at all! I imagine your knees are a bit stiff and sore, too! Getting older is hell, sometimes! Speaking of roses... the entire red climber is now covered in bright blooms! They all opened the day after I took the above photos, wouldn't you know it! If I had waited one more day... oh well. All the minis are popping, too! And there is a coral colored climber getting ready to burst, as well! The scent is very light, but the sight is special! Christina - Adopting a kitten from a shelter is a great idea! Shelters are so full of abandoned animals... it makes my heart sick to think humans do this... allow animals to multiply and then dump them, or buy a pet only to throw it away when they discover it's more work than they thought! I don't understand how people can be so cruel... it's positively criminal, not to mention very telling of how careless and sick society is... Adopt two kitties so they have each other as pals, if you can! That's two little lives saved... and twice the mice hunted! All the rain has left the area hot and humid, but the plants are loving it! Overnight, more flowers have opened, and plants look greener and healthier! I'm hiding indoors... in air-conditioning... during the hottest part of the day... but I have been spending some time pulling weeds before they totally get away from me, and take over the gardens!
    ...See More

Blooming in spite of the heat

Q

Comments (3)
    It's amazing how roses can do good when it's so hot, they are lovely! Really like Abraham Darby. Hope they keep blooming good for you. I second what Carol said about the rocks.
    ...See More

Some blooms before the heatwave

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi Cori Ann sorry for the delay response... my Pretty Lady Rose is getting a slow start it was a rather young rose when I get her... bareroot just planted by the nursery.. I think because its getting too much shade. She gets shade all morning until the sun peaks over the house then its all sun.. but she's also is kinda under a tree.. But I recently saw her again in the nursery and that reminded me why I bought her lol... so this fall i will be moving her to get more sun. Anna's Promise Rose is also in the same flower bed and I recently moved her and she has been growing leaps and bounds. So with that said I would reconsider the placement if its going to get too much shade. I havent been posting any pictures recently because the majority of my roses have the chili thrip damage :( or just shut down for the summer.. or just uninspired to show the same rose over and over again hehe.. I hope this was helpful to you. Best of luck with your Pretty Lady Rose!
    ...See More
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    So pretty Lisa! That little white pet is a cutie! And I love your kitty who looks so happy to have that beautiful garden to enjoy!
    Lisa Adams thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

Lovely pics... interesting to see Comice, a rare Bourbon. Little White Pet has charming sprays, must produce hundreds of buds...

Lisa Adams thanked Krista_5NY
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, all. These pictures are rather deceiving, compared to the rest of the garden. Much of it it brown and overgrown. I make sure the roses get enough water, but the grass I let go brown. My water bill gets so high in the summer, that I only water the front lawn.

Little White Pet is a charming little rose, bright pink buds that open white. There are hundreds of them. Comice was given to me, and it’s finally coming out of its sulk, from the move, in January. It’s been slow to recover.

It feels warmer out this morning, than yesterday. It doesn’t make me very happy. Lisa

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

Those are all so lovely, Lisa.

Lisa Adams thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

It's lovely to see Millie again, Lisa. This is just a small point, but I believe the correct name is White Pet. I had one but the rabbits loved it to death. I'll buy the scabiosa from Annie's Annuals because I'm afraid the seeds will just get scattered or eaten. It's such a cute plant and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the critters don't like it. Jet Spray is also an adorable rose.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    5 years ago

Wow! Very nice blooms Lisa! :-)

Lisa Adams thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks guys! Millie is such happy and joyful little thing. She’s been getting tired of being cooped up in the house because of the heat. She just doesn’t know enough to stop until she’s overheated. She LIVES to go outside. If I even go in the direction of the back door, she comes racing over, with her little three-legged lope.

You’re right, Ingrid. It is ‘White Pet’:) I was a little worried about suggesting seeds to you, anyway. They would so easily “disappear” in your garden. Mine is so much smaller, and enclosed. If you order it yourself, you’ll be able to see if it selfsows for you. Although any tiny seedling, probably tastes good to the bunnies. Lisa

• boncrow66
    5 years ago

Beautiful roses Lisa and as always love to see that precious Millie. I’m glad some of your roses are holding up in the heat, I am going to add Louise Odier hopefully next spring because of how well yours is doing. I know we have different weather but I’m still impressed with LO and want to try. I hope you have had been able to rest up from your trip and that your hip is feeling better.

Lisa Adams thanked boncrow66
  • lavenderlacezone8
    5 years ago

What fun and beautiful pictures Lisa, thanks so much for sharing! It's impossible not to smile at little Millie and I hope that your hip is feeling better. And thanks again for the PCdM tip!

Lisa Adams thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Lisa , Joan Fontaine is gorgeous . I had never seen this rose before. How healthy is this rose? I am wondering why this rose isn't more talked about, it is so pretty .

Wild Edric is a beautiful color . It looks like a huge bloom.

Always good to see your sweet garden helper

Lisa Adams thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

Beautiful pictures Lisa. Joan Fontaine is absolutely gorgeous. And of course, your kitty steals the show ;)

Lisa Adams thanked Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

I think this year that I am on a blush or pale pink kick. I love Joan Fontaine. I need about another acre to plant all the ones that I dont yet have

That is why the roses that don't make me smile or make my heart sing, just have to find a new home

I'm sure someone would appreciate them but I have a whole new look that makes me happy.

5 years ago

Kristine, it would be lovely if you could share pictures of your roses. Apologies if you already have; I sometimes lose track of who has which garden. At any rate, new photos are always appreciated!

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree, the more pictures the better! I especially love the pale pink and blush roses, too.

Joan Fontaine has been a good rose. I think one of the reasons it’s not more widely grown, is that only Heirloom carries it. If I’m not mistaken Joan Fontaine may have been bred by the original owner of Heirloom Roses. She was one of the first roses I ever ordered from Heirloom. That was back when their bands sized roses were inexpensive, and everything shipped free. I ordered her because at the time, I had a book on roses, and had fallen in love with a rose called “Louisa Stone’. I couldn’t find it anywhere, and Joan Fontaine was closest in color. She was slow to get started, but that was due to my keeping her potted too long. Finally, she broke through the bottom of her pot, and her roots reached the soil. Once that happened, she really took off. She’s still in that pot, sort of. The Felicia plants have grown up around her pot, and shelter it, while her roots are in the soil. Now she blooms like gangbusters! I don’t know about her black spot resistance, because I don’t get that here, but she doesn’t get powdery mildew. She is susceptible to thrips, that’s her only flaw. I really like her for cutting.

Your welcome Lav! I know your going to love PCDM more and more!

Kristine, I wish the roses that don’t make my heart sing, could go somewhere else. What I’d really like, is for someone to dig them up, and take them home where I could still see them:). Isn’t that awful? I have a hard time parting with roses. I’ve given Sarah some, and that’s perfect, because I get to enjoy them once in a while. She only has limited space, so that’s about it for giving roses to her. I did recently give my sister a Benjamin Britten that was gifted to me. I just don’t care for the color, so that was easy. Maybe I should start offering up some of my pot ghetto roses in August. By then, I’ll be so sick and tired of watering them, I should have no problem giving them away! Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Kristine! I love them! You have very similar taste to mine! Bolero and Gruss are big time favorites here, and I’m so happy to see Soul Sister! I did something naughty, and ordered a Soul Sister. It was on clearance for $20 at Heirloom, and then I received a notice that they were offering free shipping for a day or two with no minimum. I was feeling down that day, and took it as a sign that I should just order it. Now, where to put it?!?! I love they colors on yours. She reminds me of one of my favorite cutting roses, Princess Charlene de Monaco. Can you tell me more about her? Mine will be here, tomorrow. (Hanging my head in shame:). Lisa

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago

Lisa,

Joan Fontaine is a beauty! I'm studying this one to see if she will work in my garden.

I didn't know Wild Edric had/has such a nice bloom. How long does the bloom last? Is the foliage rugose like that of so many other hybrid rugosas? Final question (sorry for the quiz)....does Wild Edric send out runners?

Thanks for your input, Lisa, hope your hip is not too painful today. Just to share my hip 'saga,' to let you glean what you can from my experience so far:

My initial exam with the surgeon was in January, 2018, after putting off the inevitable for many years. The hip pain would subside somewhat over winter, mostly because of inactivity during the cold, but not this past winter. I took this as the sign I needed to take care of the problem before I got to the point where I couldn't walk.

I thought that within a month or so, the surgery would be done and that I would be back to walking well by spring, 2018. Not so fast! The insurance would not authorize surgery until after several initial steps. The first was a month's worth of physical therapy, then cortisone injection after that! What a total waste of time and money. All that happened was the pain increased and more damage was done. Thank you insurance company!

In the meantime, I started taking prescribed Ibuprofen, started the pills with the physical therapy, which pills lessened and continues to lessen the pain about 30-40%, still outrageously painful, though. Up until then I took no pain medication at all over the years of the problem developing, which symptoms started in 2012. So I am on Ibuprofen now, and alternately, Mobic (Meloxicam), when it seems the Ibuprofen is not working.

The one and only cortisone shot I got in May was totally ineffective. I took the shot with the local anesthesia option......what a mistake! I should have chosen general anesthesia. The intense pain from the cortisone shot alone was enough to knock out a bull elephant.

So now I am biding my time until this coming winter when I plan to get the surgery. I'm taking pain medication (which I hate to do), but the pain is so intense.

I am sure Lisa, that your family, and other beloved folks have expressed their sympathy for the pain you are suffering. Let me tell you, only your fellow sufferers like me, can know what you are really going through, and express that special kind of understanding and sympathy that hits the spot like none other. Be brave Lisa, there is light at the tunnel' s end. I am praying for you.

Moses

Lisa Adams thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago

Lisa, I am in the same boat I want more roses but I have no room maybe some of my pots should be gifted to someone. Some of them seemed like a great idea at the time but now I'm going in a slightly different direction

Soul sister is a blooming machine however she has limpy little canes and great big blooms so she does the face plant in the mud. She's a good one for being in a pot because that elevates her canes at least off of the ground. Her blooms last a really long time she's always got buds developing

Not sure about the fragrance because I can't bend over that far to smell her but she's an awfully pretty, nice rose. I think you will be really happy with her.

I noticed today that dark desire has got several new basal breaks hopefully they won't be 4' tall with the Bloom on the very end but maybe she's going to fill out.

If I remove one of my hearty hibiscus and put it in a pot that gives me a nice big space for another rose not 1 to Buy mind you, one that already needs a home lol

5 years ago

Kristine,

I'm a hardy hibiscus lover, so removing one would be hard for me to do, even to make room for a rose.

Are you familiar with the Fleming Brother's, (d.), best (IMHO), hibiscus, Fantasia? It is a heavy bloomer with unique frilled, trumpet shaped blooms, not flat, in a rare shade of mauve. The trumpet shaped blooms give the blooms a three-dimensional look, unlike so many flat bloomed, discus fish like hibiscus. It's my favorite hibiscus.

Moses

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kristine, thanks for the info on Soul Sister. I didn’t expect her to be a flopper! I wonder if she will outgrow it? Have you have yours for very long? I might be able to squeeze Soul Sister into my raised bed, that has a little wall she could lean into. Then the blooms could maybe hang over the wall a bit. She’s supposed to stay rather small, IIRC. Do the blooms remind you of Princess Charlene de Monaco at all? I was hoping that they would match nicely in arrangements together. The two gorgeous blooms in your picture look like they would go nicely with PCDM, both in the garden and the vase. I see that your Gruss an Aachen is blooming in peachy pink now. I just noticed that mine is developing new buds and blooms, and they are also peachy pink. My last flush was enormous and they were all ivory colored blooms. This time they are showing lots of color variation. I guess the heat must be bringing out the colors. I sure enjoy seeing what Gruss will come up with next! They are always so different, yet all blend together so perfectly. I only wish they lasted longer cut. Oh well, that’s one I usually leave for the neighbors to enjoy. My two new little Bolero’s are doing just fine, in spite of being recently planted and all this heat. I first quarantined them for a while, and actually left them in their band size containers. They began to show signs of nutrition deficiency, and no bugs or disease, so I finally planted them in the ground, straight from the band pots. A little late to be planting bands in early June, but it is what it is. I haven’t lost a rose yet. Those little Bolero’s started growing and perking up immediately! I didn’t even shade them, because our temps weren’t too bad back then. They are in full sun, and doing just great. The little guys came through our heatwave without any problems whatsoever. I really, really like Bolero. Your Bolero is fairly new, isn’t it? It sure has a pretty bloom. I sometimes get that pink blushing too, but mostly just off white. I should check what my mature Bolero is doing out front, but it’s hot out, and I’m feeling pretty lazy.

Mr. Moses, I can’t tell you very much about Wild Edric, because I have only had it a few months. Ingrid so kindly gave me one of her three Wild Edric’s. This is actually the first Rugosa hybrid I've ever seen with my own eyes, but it does look “Rugosish” to me. Ingrid would be the one to ask about Wild Edric, since she’s been growing hers for years. I’m not even sure how long the blooms last, because I was out of town, and now it’s so hot that I’ve been indoors mostly.

I admit, my hip is keeping me from doing much in the garden, and it’s getting me down. You are absolutely right, Mr. Moses. My family can say, “I’m sorry”, but they haven’t any idea. I’m embarrassed when their 7:30AM phone calls awaken me and they are puzzled as to why I’m not up. They don’t seem to understand that when I say I can’t find a position to escape the pain enough to sleep, I really mean it. I’m sorry that you’re hurting, Mr. Moses. I truly understand how you feel. It makes you look at every little task or activity differently, doesn’t it? Can I walk that far? Can I sit that long? Will I have to lift my leg up? I’ve been wearing sundresses or sleeveless dresses, and flip flops all the time, and no one realizes that it’s because it’s so difficult to step into shorts and socks and shoes. I ought to buy stock in ibuprofen. My hip did improve some while I was at Sarah’s house after they left town, and I stayed on watching the house. Once I returned back to my real life, filled with things that need to be done, the dull roar went back to its usual all thought consuming bellow. My mood is being affected, and not in a positive way. Like you, I have to satisfy the insurance company before it can be fixed. I wish I read of your experience with the cortisone shot, before I had mine last month. I too, opted for the local anesthetic. I’ll not make that mistake again! It didn’t help me at all either.

I called my Dr. a little while ago to ask what the next step was, since the injection hadn’t helped. When I reached the group he joined about 3 years ago,(I was his patient long before he joined this group) I was told, Dr. P is no longer with Graybill. I was stunned. I asked if this had happened suddenly and recently. The receptionist said, “Yes. yesterday.” I just thanked her and hung up to get my thoughts together. This throws another wrench into the whole mess. I’ve been with this Dr. for many years, and he knows my complicated history. I do see the neurologist for my MS appointments, but he handles everything he can, otherwise. I guess I’ll probably be starting over again with a new Dr. Another pain to deal with. Well, enough of my little pity party. Sorry about that. It’s been one of those days. I really hope you can get your surgery done soon, and get back to feeling better quickly. I know it’s painful. Lisa

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Maybe you can find out where Dr. P went and if he/she is still in network, Lisa.

Lisa Adams thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Gee. I hate starting over with new Dr. Mine keep retiring. I just got a new Dr last week. I hated starting over, but I really liked her and she was so thorough .

Lisa, I guess I shou lo d elaborate on Soul Sister. She had blooms that are upright. But mine has had some low canes with blooms that drooped in to the dirt. I trimmed up the lower canes with blooms. It will be a stellar rose

It just needs to grow up ( literally) I got mine in May.

I love Gruss , It looks like a water color

Bolero is doing really well in the heat

102 yuk

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    5 years ago

Lisa -- your roses are just gorgeous -- as always. that Joan Fontaine looks a lot like why I ordered Madam Anisette.

Kristine -- same -- your roses are always lovely.

Have you ever grown Dee-Lish? I have seen photos and think this is becoming my latest obsession. It was supposed to have been the first HT to win the ADR in Germany -- which seems kind of like the earth kind trials?? I was moving away from HTs, but this one looks gorgeous and is supposed to smell amazing, like verbena.

So sorry to all of you coping with hip pain!

Lisa Adams thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    5 years ago

Lisa,

You have MS to boot? Wow, what a trooper you are! God gives lovely persons like you special grace to go on.

I have CMT Disease (supposedly unrelated to the arthritic hip), which was once classified in with MS. My case was fortunately adult onset, so for most of my life I was symptom free....just the last I5 years.

I know what you mean about the hip pain affecting your mood, mine too. I catch myself accidentally frowning, wincing, grunting, and moaning in public which embarrasses me, but the pain comes so fast and intensely.

The pain from CMT Disease is in another class altogether than arthritic hip pain. It's neuropathy pain (muscle pulling, spasms and cramps, burning and stabbing pain), frozen, deformed foot joints, numbness muscle and tendon degeneration and weakness, and very poor balance.

Your new doctor will have all your medical records, and should be able to pick up where your last doctor left off. I hope, and will pray that you get the doctor of your dreams. It's possible an even better doctor than the last one you had will be attending to your needs. Think positive! I know it's not easy when you are suffering.

I had a wonderful PC who retired a few years ago, and have been 'passed,' around (5 different, consecutive PCs in the last 7 years!), now with a young, likable hippie type, who I do like enough....he seems to be attentive. At least he should outlive me!

In spite of all your troubles, Lisa, there is no doubt in my mind that you will stay cheerful, and continue to be a joy to be around to all those near and dear to you. You exude enthusiasm, a love of life, and a nourisher of things beautiful, roses. Your last trip to Burling's shows what fine substance you are made of. Thanks for being a blessing to all of us on the Roses Forum. Regarding your hip...this too, shall pass.

Moses

5 years ago

Deborah,

I put Dee-Lish in this spring as a gallon, own root. It is quickly becoming a favorite, finishing its second flush as I write. I do see an Achilles Tendon, though. It has crisped and slightly withered in the heat, repeatedly! Maybe it's youth has prevented the blooms from 'Hulking Up' which it may do up the road. It has been in the upper 80s to mid 90s for weeks, since late May. Unusual for here, but several other 'pillars' of my rose garden do not crisp or wither one bit. Check out my report with others who grow DL.

Moses

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have heard great things about Dee-Lish, although I can’t stand the name. I don’t grow it, and I have no intention of purchasing any new roses for a number of reasons.

The RRD has me worried, and right now, I’m just keeping things watered in the heat. Summer is always hard on me and my roses, but this summer is especially hard. Between my hip and the MS, I’m just watering, and that’s about it.

Mr. Moses, it sounds like we could be twins! I have so many of the same symptoms. The muscle spasms are especially bad during the heat. No matter how careful I am, I always manage to shift positions in bed, and wake up to horrible muscle spasm. No fun.

My Soul Sister arrived and looks good, although all leaves were removed. She’s a nice size, but I think with proper watering, she can stay in her pot for a while. Lisa

5 years ago

Deborah, yay you got soul sister you will love it it is one of my favorites.

Working out in the heat is horrible for people who have no health issues. So my heart goes out to those of you who are dealing with healrh health issues .

It has been a 105 all week and will be most of this week.

You would think living in the Pacific Northwest that it would be cooler you would be wrong it's been very hot. I tried to go out early and get things done for a couple of hours today I worked on pulling weeds . After 2 hours I was pretty exhausted and sweaty but I made some progress.

I need a guy, a Nice inexpensive yard guy.

Yesterday a yard maintenance man came in and was bragging that he had already mowed two lawns.

I asked him do you pull weeds and he said yes. I said that I have many many weeds plaguing my yard. I asked him if he had a business card and he said no but he would go and get me one. 2 days later I am still waiting for that business card perhaps I scared him off with my story of many many weeds. Poor man now he will forever be afraid to come back into that store that he might run into the lady with the many many weeds

• cedemas
    5 years ago

Kristine, I have had many similar experiences. I make appointments for estimates, they come, they look, they say they will call with the estimate, and they never call. I don't have any grass. It is all trees, shrubs, and weeds. It's a lot of work and most of them just want to mow and edge.

Lisa Adams thanked cedemas
    5 years ago

My disappearing man asked if I wanted him to just weed eat them I said no they need to be pulled.

Oh well hopefully I'll get into great shape pulling all of those stupid weeds

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have plenty of weeds here too. They are thriving wherever they get water, and the drip system has increased the weed population:(

I thought I might be finished posting pretty blooms for a while, with this heat. Nevertheless, this evening I still saw a few pretty blooms.

Boscobel

Abraham Darby

Evelyn

Leveson Gower, looking very bright.

Annie Laurie McDowell from Ingrid. I try to pinch her blooms, but she’s SO determined to bloom!

Mystic Beauty

Lisa

5 years ago

Wow Lisa, in this heat you still have so many gorgeous blooms

Boscobel I'd such a unique color

Annie laurel McDowell is gorgeous

What a generous gift Ingrid

• boncrow66
    5 years ago

Lisa all of your roses are so pretty! I especially live how ALM is such a soft pretty pink. Do you mind if I ask a question about your Louise Odier? I can’t stop thinking about how beautiful your is and how well it does for you! Do you grow it as a shrub or a climber ? I have read it can be grown as both but depending on how it does best for you have it might sway me. Thanks!

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! I’m surprised I have anything blooming at all in the heat, especially since I’ve not been deadheading much.

Even Alnwick is giving it a try. The blooms are tiny and extra fleeting in the heat, though.

Abraham Darby has lots of blooms, but they all look distorted. Heat? Bugs?

I grow my ‘Louise Odier’ as a shrub, and I tie her long canes to a trellis, as they grow too long. I give her a good pruning in January. You might want to wait until I put up a new thread regarding my Louise Odier, before choosing her based on mine. I’m rather embarrassed, even though it’s not my fault. I’ve just been told that my superstar Louise Odier is probably NOT Louise Odier:(. I’m going to start a thread and ask what others think. Hopefully Jeri will see my new post, and give us an answer about this rose’s identity. Lisa

• boncrow66
    5 years ago

Thanks Lisa, I will following your LO thread with interest and I hope you are able to pin point if you have LO or GH. Whatever it is, it’s beautiful and I know it’s been your super star! Maybe you can rename it Super Star if you can’t figure it out :-).

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Gruss an Aachen decided to bloom pink this time around. The last flush was completely ivory. I do love the changing colors.

Bubble Bath

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Lisa, all your roses are top notch blooms inspite of extreme heat you are having in S. CA. They are absolutely magnificent and breath taking The best part they look so fresh and sun/heat never bother them or fried them.

I love ALM and I can't wait to get her. I also love Loiuse Odier or Grandmother's Hat. I hope you will figure it out which you have. I will be watching that thread closely also.

Jin

Lisa Adams thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Pretty pretty Gruss and bubble bath. Gorgeous

• pippacovalent
    5 years ago

I like the name of Bubble Bath (and how it looks)...I think it's funny how names can influence my feelings about things like roses and paint colors etc.

Lisa Adams thanked pippacovalent
    5 years ago

Bubble bath is a silly name for such a luscious rose

How tall does it get ?

5 years ago

I just looked up Bubble Bath. See this is how we end up with so many roses somebody posts something beautiful that I don't have. I look it up and the next thing I know I am pressing the purchase button lol

fortunately no one seems to have it in stock right now so I'm saved another day

Memorial Day just opened will see how it does in the heat today

So far the purple prince seems to be hanging in there in the heat

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good morning!

Bubble Bath is a very cute name without being silly. I like it, and it has continued to produce clusters after her big spring flush. She’s no MAC in size, and can be kept under control. On thing about Bubble Bath, though. Those blooms look like the soft, fluffy, scented bubbles in a warm bathtub, but add in a few canes, and you’d have a nightmare of a bath time. She has some vicious thorns. I’m talking really sharp and plentiful! I don’t wear gloves as often as I should, but with Bubble Bath, gloves are a must. I’m always slightly amused that such a soft sounding, (and looking) rose can be so MEAN:). I do forgive her. We all have our faults, yes?

Kristine, your Purple Prince is beautiful! Is that the tiny one you purchased from Hirts? It looks like it did well, for it to be blooming so nicely already. I’ve always enjoyed Memorial Day, and have heard it does well in the heat. It sure looks gorgeous! I think Fragrancenutter grows Memorial Day, and she sure is hot and dry. I love lavender and purple roses, although I don’t have many. Love Song is a winner here. Poseidon probably would be, if I moved mine into more shade. I get great blooms from late October-June or so. Then the sun burns them up. Funny thing, they actually don’t look too bad yet. I wonder if it has matured enough that it’s able to take in more water? I don’t think that affects the blooms roasting, but Poseidon looks better than last year at this time.

Oh wow! I stood up to take a picture and look who’s in Poseidon! Maybe he/she is eating all the bad bugs! I sure hope so.

It’s overcast this morning, and I got up early, so it’s perfect for picture taking. I need a moments break, and then I’ll take some more. Lisa

5 years ago

Good catch on the photo lol. Do your thing praying mantis.

Yes, Purple Prince was the teeniest little band. It smells really good too

• cedemas
    5 years ago

Lisa, too much heat is known to distort blooms and also shrink them as well as result in paler color, and shorter, weaker stems. There may also be differences in the number of buds per stem. I am experiencing all of the above at the moment.

Plus we have had respite from the daily rains maybe 2 days out of the last 40 and the next two weeks forecast rain every day. It's amazing! At least I don't have to use the A/C.

I don't know if anyone has written papers on the effects of excessive rain on bloom quality and frequency. Or the effects of excessive rain combined with excessive heat. My poor babies.

Lisa Adams thanked cedemas
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That tiny band sure grew fast, Kristine. Big bonus in the scent!

My praying mantis is obviously a baby, so I hope there’s plenty siblings around! I’m beginning to wonder if some of Poseidon’s problems could partially have been thrips, last year. Maybe the good guys are winning the war. We shall see. I would love more nice blooms from Poseidon during summer. Oh wait, nevermind. Anyone remember my hideous contraption last summer with the huge screen blocking the sun, for Poseidon? I had perfect blooms with that giant old screen from a sliding glass door during summer. I guess it was the burning sun. Shoot!

Your absolutely right, Cedemas. My Violet’s Pride currently has both normal and single on it, due to the heat.

Normal Violet’s Pride bloom this morning.

And a single this morning. It’s on its way out, already. I should have taken the picture yesterday.

Jin has been telling me how much rain has been falling. I’m just amazed, coming from a place where we only got about 6 inches last winter/spring. No rain for us until at least November:( I wish we could all share a bit. I can’t imagine how gorgeous my roses would look if we were to get an inch of rain right now! I know you’re very tired of the rain, poor Jin sure is!

I just took lots of pictures, but I’ll submit this first. I never really trust Houzz, anymore. WAY too many lost posts and pictures! Be right back, Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Baronne Prevost is still producing a few blooms. They are smaller than the usual blooms, but very bright and VERY fragrant.

Abraham Darby is blooming a mixture of perfect and distorted blooms. It has cooled down a little, so I’m seeing more nice blooms.

Princess Charlene de Monaco is ALWAYS nice!

I’m liking this Bourbon!

The Fuan is loaded with blooms, no scent but great in the heat.

I have no idea why my mums are blooming now! I hope they will bloom again in the fall. I chose this unusual color for arrangements with my russet/coffee colored roses like Irish Creme, Koko Loco, and Silver Cloud.

I’m getting nervous about all these not posting. I’m submitting these now. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jin, I meant to say thank you, earlier. You’re always so sweet and encouraging. You know just what to say when I feel like my garden is a messy failure:)

Duchess de Brabant seems to like the drip irrigation! She looks better and is producing new growth and buds.

My ‘Incrediball’ Hydrangea went from white to green very early this year.

Mystic Beauty blooms more every week. I see many new buds.

Evelyn, peaking out from behind the Kiss-Me-Over-the- Garden-Gate.

One more Evelyn shot.

Lisa

5 years ago

Lisa, I've so enjoyed this thread with the wealth of beautiful roses you have. The picture of Evelyn just above my post is so delightful. I continue to be amazed at how many gorgeous roses are blooming in your garden now, even with the heat. I hope they are a slight compensation for the pain you're suffering with your hip, although I don't know how you can deal with so much pain. And Moses also, so sorry that he too is afflicted with such severe pain.

Kristine, your roses are also magnificent. I especially like Ebb Tide, which I had long ago, but which didn't appreciate the blazing sun up here. I'm glad to hear that Bolero, which I have on order, doesn't seem to mind the heat. I hadn't heard of Soul Sister before, but it has lovely color tones. Your Memorial Day is gorgeous, and I believe it is a good rose in the heat.

As for Wild Edric, in the years I've had it there hasn't been a single sucker, and somehow it doesn't strike me as being a rose that would root easily, although I've never tried. I've noticed that the blooms are smaller in the heat, although not as small as some other roses. It's one of my very few roses that's putting out buds. My garden is a wasteland right now and the less said about it the better. It's a good thing I can enjoy others' roses here, just to keep the dream alive.

5 years ago

Lisa, great looking roses even in the heat and draught. We get very little rain here in the summer as well so lots of hand watering fortunately we are not under any water restrictions.

Your Baron is fabulous and the Fawn, so beautiful! I looked up Louise Odier, another beauty.

Right now Ebb Tide is in a small pot. It gets morning sun and not much late afternoon sun so it is holding its color pretty well. Twilight Zone is getting crispy

Purple Prince, so far the blooms dont seem to last very long

I have to say that Olivia Austin doesn't seem to mind the heat.

I see that For Love of Roses will. offering some Dave Bang roses