SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_2764355445906993

1st try w/gritty mix Which plants for large gritty mix? Crushed brick?

Hosta Collector
5 years ago

First, I would like to thank everyone for all the great posts. I would like to pay it forward sharing my results and have couple questions. This is the first time I've tried to plant sedums and I have two projects a sunny slope and a modular green roof.

I want to grow out stock in order fully plant the slope, that is now covered with dead English ivy. (Triclopyr) I also only wanted to commit so much effort into the green roof, in order to not have mass die off. So, I've started trays (shallow container) with different combinations of substrate composition and depths. I topped this gritty mix with some large pine bark to help control the heat soaked up by the granite.

I've jumped all in finding supplies.

• Agway pine bark (One bag screened with #3 mesh)
  • Turface
  • Gran-I-Grit
  • #3 Stainless steel mesh (3 holes per inch) close to 3/8
  • #14 Stainless steel mesh (both off ebay)
  • Crushed brick (near the middle with the quarter)

My results.

And now I've got a lot of extra large particle pine bark fines. (Agway) I also have a source for similar size particles of crushed brick. I'm considering getting Gran-I-Grit Turkey (5/16"-7/16") and mixing up a large particle gritty mix. Any suggestions on what plants would do well in such a mix? I realize at some point it might get to porous and not retain much water.

This is all somewhat an experiment. So, suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks again for all the help,

Hosta Collector

Comments (4)