SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my_four_sons

My awful experience with Home Warranty of America

my_four_sons
5 years ago

(This post disappeared, not sure why. Take two.)

Do not buy a warranty from Home Warranty of America if you have appliances that are beyond builder grade.

Also do not buy from them unless you enjoy banging your head on a concrete wall repeatedly.

More than 6 (!) weeks ago the door hinge on the Miele speed oven in our island broke and the glass front to the door came entirely off. I called the warranty company and someone came out a week later to repair it. He was doubtful the warranty company would pay for a new glass front, but went ahead with the claim. Then ... crickets. I followed up a week later. No one seemed to know what the specs of the oven were, so I went over them with HWA on the phone. The appliance guy transposed some numbers, now they could move forward.

Of course, no one called to tell me they couldn’t figure out what model appliance I had, but I was young and naive and held great hopes for HWA. After all, I had only used the warranty for service calls over the years (with varying levels of satisfaction) and this was my first time trying to actually have them replace anything. But hey, that’s why I have a warranty, right?

Week later, still no word. I called back, trying to get a sense of any progress. And meanwhile, any time you call, you get someone on the phone who has to put you on hold, check the status of your claim, look at their notes, and then you still have to repeat the entire saga to came back with “oh, we had some questions about the specs and the dimensions.” But again, they only told me this after I called. I again went through all the information I had, repeated model and serial number, etc. Ok, they’ll send this along to purchasing to have it approved.

Then crickets again. I probably called in 8 times over 6 weeks. Each time there was more confusion, more “let me put you on hold,” more talk about my freaking over-the-range microwave, (IT’S A BUILT IN SPEED OVEN). Finally they got back to me with their replacement option, a Jenn-Air microwave convection that was a) too large for the space and b) required a minimum of 36” inches clearance from the ground. So, there one option wasn’t really an option at all. Or they would give me a cash out of $950 to replace my $3,000 appliance.

I’m so done. Obviously, we’re getting rid of the warranty. We had it for years and never used it beyond paying $100 for a service call, and I really thought it would be useful if something big needed to be repaired/replaced. Obviously, I was an idiot. Like I told my husband, can you imagine if it was something vital like our air conditioner? And they jerked us around for 6 weeks only to come up with a half-assed solution? Such a frustrating experience.

Comments (19)