SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morgan_wiley9770550

I neglected my Nepenthes Pitcher Plant - now what?!

Morgan Wiley
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

When I was cleaning my kitchen a couple of weeks ago, I moved my pitcher plant and literally forgot it existed until last night.

I pride myself on being a good, attentive plant mom and i would be SUPER embarassed for neglecting any of my houseplants but I’m especially shamefaced because I’m a total noob when it comes to carnivorous plants and, as such, I should have been hyper vigilant with this one!

Due to an accumulation of dust, I had to rinse out the pitchers and when I did, I noticed there was not a single insect in any of them. I’ve had this plant for a couple of months and thought for sure it would have caught something by now.

plant has now been returned to its home where it sits in a little tray of pebbles with a tiny bit of water in them to boost humidity. It’s been thoroughly watered with rainwater and it’s pitchers filled with a tiny bit of water per the internets instructions.

My question is: are these pitchers even worth sticking around? Should I prune them off? Should I feed them an ant?? Like I said, I’m totally new to carnivorous plants so ANY guidance would be SUPER helpful!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting