SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrybundtcake

Adding veggies and flowers to a small backyard

BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello,

I was hoping you all might be able to help with some advice for a small backyard. The yard is located in Washington D.C.. The owner and I were thinking that they would be adding an easy-to-maintain raised bed with some flowers and veggies that small children could help with. Veggies could include anything really (tomatoes, peppers, squash, lettuce, carrots, etc.), though the more kid-planting/tending friendly the better. Annuals might be more fun for the kids to plant, but some perennials wouldn't be out of the question, so long as they're easy and not too delicate. We're open to other suggestions, too, but that's what we had in mind.

Veggie garden people, what's your experience with making mixed beds for veggies and flowers? What works best in terms of tending and harvesting without damaging the flowers? Flowers don't need to be edible, though I'd be wary of things have parts that look edible but aren't.

Main goals:

1) add a raised bed for flowers/veggies

2) keep backyard mostly grassy for kids to play

3) avoid difficult to mow arrangements

4) make it attractive yet functional

Overhead view of the yard:

And a diagram of the space (with dimensions):

The southeast corner is the sunniest spot in the yard, and there are sprinklers set on a timer for the grass.

We'd love any suggestions for where to place the raised bed and how to shape it.

Comments (18)