SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ermorris10

Landscaping a small backyard in Houston

ermorris10
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I need help in trying to landscape our backyard. It's pretty small and pretty boring right now. We have built a deck that takes up most of the yard and have created a sand pit on the side of it that double as a pool area in the summer and a firepit in the winter. Right now, our concerns are to plant something that covers the electric box on the left, to fill up the flower bed that has a lime tree in it currently, and find another solution for our herb garden.

Right now, we have encore azaeleas and plumbago around the electric box and the tree. I am worried we killed the azaleas, but we love the plumbago. I am very interested in things with a lot of color (for most of the year) and are very durable (in Texas heat) with little care needed.

We need to find another solution for our herb garden as well. Currenty, it is in a semi-raised bed in the corner of our yard. In that area of the yard- almost that whole side- we have a drainage problem. It is always very wet over there. We have thought that we would use some stones (maybe river stones) in the current bed and maybe along the fence and put our herbs in some planters instead of in the ground. We wanted to have some more control over our herbs since we have some that takeover very easily.

Any advice? Ideas? Pointers?

Here are some additional photos. Its hard to get good angles, because the yard is so small. In these first photos, I am standing on the deck infront of the grill. In the last photos, I am standing in the middle of the back fence.

Comments (10)