SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindavarga20

Bad cat fight broke out tonight!!!

lindavarga20
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have an older cat Muffin who's 10 or 11 years old and a younger cat named Mihu who is 3 years old. I brought Mihu into our home when she was 3 months old so they have known each other for years. Muffin never cared for other cats. She mostly wanted to be left alone. They can sleep 1 foot apart from each other on the bed and as long as Mihu doesn't show interest in Muffin they are ok. If Mihu even looks at Muffin she will do that low growl in her throat warning Mihu to leave her alone. Occasionally Mihu will chase Muffin wanting her to play. Or if Mihu is hungry and I don't feed her, like in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping, she'll go after Muffin. Usually its just Mihu chasing Muffin and Muffin hissing and growling at her. I'll break it up with a water-bottle sometimes or sometimes I can just scold Mihu and she'll back off.

Today was a different story. Muffin was leaving the litter box, which I have boxed in so the dogs don't get into it, so its kind of a narrow space and Mihu was blocking her way out. Mihu has done this before, sometimes I have to pull her away so she doesn't bug Muffin in the litterbox while she's trying to do her business. I just came inside and was standing right in front of them when they started hissing and swatting and their fur was up and it was a totally different energy. Mihu even peed all over the floor and on me. I grabbed Mihu so she wouldn't chase after Muffin. She hissed and growled a me and squirmed to get away but I had her pinned (I couldn't have her chasing Muffin around the house because the dogs would have gotten involved and it would have gotten worse). She tried to get away but stopped and I was able to pick her up and leave the room and I took her outside where I hoped she's be distracted by the scene but she'd still growl at me but no longer scratch. She did move to indicate she wanted to be let go but she didn't attack me or try to force me to let her go. Muffin hid in the basement and I barricaded the stairs down to keep them apart for a while.

Neither cat is hurt and honestly when the fight was going on they weren't even really close enough to scratch each other. Kinda like they'd lunge at each other but pull back and swat at air. I checked them both over and they both indicated their displeasure but didn't scratch me. After half an hour Muffin slipped passed the box I blocked the stairs with and as soon as the two of them saw each other they went at it but this time the dogs were there freaking out. I separated the two cats and will keep them apart overnight.

Muffin used to get into fights with my old cat Dustin but that was very seldom and usually Muffin would hide under the bed and I'd separate them and after a while they'd go back to normal. I'm going to keep them in different rooms and only bring them together when I am present but I am concerned about another fight.

Anyone have any suggestions on what might have snapped and how I can deal with the situation? I'm hoping time will help them forget like my last cats but I want to be prepared in case that doesn't happen.

Comments (10)