SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katefisher_gw

Strange scent after cat fight this evening

katefisher
15 years ago

Tonight I was reading on the couch after dinner and fell asleep. We have a cat door although normally I shut it after dark to keep the cats from fighting with other cats, skunks and racoons that show up around dusk.

I was rousted from my dozing by my husbands cat howling and hissing and watching something from inside the kitchen through the cat door. Trying to divert a problem I ran into the kitchen but Hannah bolted outside and attacked whatever was out there. It took me a second to locate the activity and I started yelling and stomping my feet which broke up the fight. It was so dark I could not see what she was fighting.

After about two minutes of calling our cat she showed up, clearly rattled but otherwise alright. I reached down and scooped her up to bring inside for the night and was immediately sorry. Poor little Hannah stunk to the gods! This was not a skunk spray at all. I habitually wake up to lingering skunkage in the mornings outside but this was something different. The poor cat just reeked of like week old tuna or something. I've never smelled anything like it.

I called my husband and he came home and bathed her. That seems to have solved about 80% of the problem but can anyone tell me what that odor might be? Something glandular? It is unholy!

Thanks.

Kate

Comments (4)