SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefandl

Sun loving plants still wilt in the sun?

cefandl
5 years ago

I am a bit of a newbie with gardening. We are growing tomatoes and a large trough of herbs -- the usual parsley, cilantro, basil, garlic chives, thyme. I'm not sure I'll ever really be able to do this as I always run into problems. First, the bottom leaves have begun to turn yellow on the basil and parsley. I read this can be from overwatering. But they also wilt in the afternoon sun. They are getting a full 8 hours of sun and the afternoon is quite direct. I wasn't sure if i still follow the rule of watering when it's dry two knuckles deep even when they wilt like this? The Thyme on the other hand, is brown at the base of the stems and looks dry. So I didn't think I was overwatering? But now I'm not confident in how I'm watering any of it. Do I hold off on the water even though the heat is making them droopy? Does it mean they need more? It's not just with veggies and herbs, it's with our Phlox and daisies which is a whole other game. I just can't seem to figure it out. Those flowers basically just shrivel up and die. The phlox is slowly turning yellow and the leaves are fully wilted. The little daisies turn brown and the bottom leaves are also yellow. Anyhow, I'm clearly confused onto how to grow a plant so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)