SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kassie2_gw

Butternut Squash leaves wilt in sun, new fruit dead

kassie2
10 years ago

I hope that someone can help me because I am baffled. I planted 4 Waltham Butternut Squash plants back in mid-March. They are organic, of course. They all started out so beautifully and have already produced at least 25 little squashes. Suddenly about a week ago, I noticed that the newest fruit were turning yellow, and soft. The older squash fruits seem ok, however I am worried because the older leaves are yellow and dying (or brown and dead) and many of the vines are turning yellow. Over the weekend I was home all day and witnessed the leaves wilt badly in the sun, only to recover as the sun lowered. Obviously not a complete recovery as there is so much damage. My past experience with butternut has been nothing but fabulous (with the exception of powdery mildew, which was kept under control with Neem Oil sprayings. And there is no sign of mildew this year!) so I am really stumped. Before planting, we added gypsum to our soil, compost, fertilizer and rotated the beds. I had been watering 3 times weekly until the weather here in my area turned hot (over 80) and then I started watering daily or every other day. I hate to pull them, they still have some good growth but not the newest growth, which is dying. The only sign of pests I see are some ants. Please help, anyone! Thanks!!

Comments (10)